GDT: Penguins vs. Flyers |Fri, Jan 15 - 7:00 PM WFC | "Clash of the PA Gods"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Upq2nNq.png

(Pens) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS | VS. | PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (FLYERS)

FRIDAY, JAN. 15 7:00 PM - WELLS FARGO CENTER
Networks: NHLN, SN, TVAS, NBCSP, ATTSN-PT
105.9 The X, Penguins Radio Network

"HOW WE GOT HERE"
Standings

GAME PREVIEW

QUICK HITS
Bryan Rust enters tonight's game with six points (2G-4A) in his last nine games versus Philadelphia.
Jake Guentzel has 11 points (4G-7A) in 12 career regular season games against the Flyers. If you include postseason games, Guentzel has 24 points (10G-14A) in 18 games.
In11 games he started following a game he lost last season, Tristan Jarry posted a .918 save percentage (315 saves/343 shots) and two shutouts.
Evgeni Malkin has 73 career points (28G-45A) in 59 career games against the Flyers. Only teammate Sidney Crosby (106PTS in 71GP) has more points versus Philadelphia among all active players.

Five of the coaches in tonight's game are former Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins coaches (Mike Sullivan, Todd Reirden, Mike Vellucci, Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo).

GAME LINEUPS
"Subject to change"

:pens
Penguins possible Lineup

From Practice/morning skate

Lines

59 Guentzel - 87 Crosby - 9 Rodrigues
16 Zucker - 71 Malkin - 17 Rust
19 McCann - 14 Jankowski - 13 Tanev
18 Lafferty - 53 Blueger - 7 Sceviour

Pairings
8 Dumoulin - 58 Letang
28 Pettersson - 6 Marino
5 Matheson - 2 Ruhwedel

Goalies

35 Jarry (confirmed starter) - 1 DeSmith

Thanks to "@MiamiScreamingEagle" from todays GDT.

:flyers

Flyers Possible Lineup
From todays MSE GDT

Lines
23 Oskar Lindblom -- 14 Sean Couturier -- 11 Travis Konecny
8 Claude Giroux -- 13 Kevin Hayes -- 86 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk -- 19 Nolan Patrick -- 93 Jake Voracek
12 Michael Raffl -- 21 Scott Laughton -- 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

Pairings
9 Ivan Provorov -- 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim -- 5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hagg -- 56 Erik Gustafsson

Goalies
79 Carter Hart (confirmed starter)
37 Brian Elliott

"Will update when possible"

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bar is set pretty low. I expect improvement simply from the "they can't be THAT bad 2x in a row".

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This schedule really isn't going to allow for slow adjustments.

UE5bd27.gif

A lot of the loss was due to effort. It was piss poor. Now hopefully that was just because they were gassed because of an irregular preseason.

Although it seemed column a, column b stuff with the amount of clear errors in decision making.

.......Anywho go pens

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I know it is only game 2...but it is a short season so things need to be addressed immediately. So...if Geno, Rust, Jake and Zucker are all basically invisible again tonight, I sure hope Sully gives Jake - Geno - Rust a run on Saturday. Not that I want to see Zucker - Sid - ERod, but when Kappy is ready to replace Erod, it sounds like a great line to me. However we all know that Sid gets Jake no matter what, so if Sully is going to make any changes it would likely be just swapping Rust and ERod, which I'm sure Geno would be thrilled about.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah I have a group chat of friends from Pitt that has a bunch of Rangers fans, and I was thoroughly enjoying their complaints about JJ last night.

I'm like:

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpeg

I had to control myself when I kept reading that his roster spot wasn't guaranteed and that there were better defenseman than him on the roster...as if that's ever mattered.

At least I can get a sick joy out of watching DeAngelo getting stuck with him.

Lol. Ceci already a scratch.

I guess you can actually have accountability*.

*so long as the player is on a one-year deal worth little more than your healthy scratches

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That's hilarious that it took Sullivan 1 game to scratch Ceci while it took so much longer for him to pull the plug on Johnson.

Makes me wonder if JR was pushing for JJ to stay in the lineup because of the comments he made.

Pulling the plug sounds awfully optimistic to me. This reads more of wanting to make a line-up change, but not wanting to make it in net.

Ceci really is the only guy he could scratch right now. There's no way in hell that Matheson is getting scratched in game 2 with 6 years left on his deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What's kinda funny is that I don't think Ceci really did anything in his first game to play himself out of the lineup. I wonder if the decision to scratch Ceci relates more to the point Vensel made, that Ruhwedel knows the system better and they want a calming influence next to Matheson, more than them being unhappy with Ceci. Beyond the slashing penalty, I don't recall Ceci doing really anything "wrong" in the first game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What's kinda funny is that I don't think Ceci really did anything in his first game to play himself out of the lineup. I wonder if the decision to scratch Ceci relates more to the point Vensel made, that Ruhwedel knows the system better and they want a calming influence next to Matheson, more than them being unhappy with Ceci. Beyond the slashing penalty, I don't recall Ceci doing really anything "wrong" in the first game.

They are dropping Matheson out of the top four.

Obviously Sullivan doesn’t trust both Matheson and Ceci to be on the same line.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I mean he blows. That’s kinda on him. Not his fault coaches play him and teams sign him but he’s just not a good player.

Waste of coin to bring him in but whatever. One year, not JJ-sink-my-partner-bad and at least its RHD depth until he’s inevitably traded out.

Reactions: DRAGO 18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad