News Article: Penguins told AHL coach to "stay quiet" about wife's sexual assault, lawsuit says

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If they have any reason to believe a crime has been committed they have the obligation to report to authorities. And thats the end of it.

If there is a crime ... police
If not its an HR issue.

This is false. There are industries/positions like teachers and health care workers, etc. that are mandated reporters that are legally required to report suspected crimes and can face criminal prosecution if they do not. The vast majority of businesses have no legal obligation to report a crime, especially when it did not happen on their property or during working hours and they are basing it off of an allegation from another employee.

Hypothetically, what happens if an assistant coach tells the team the head coach did something illegal, the team notifies the police, and after the investigation is completed, it turns out that the assistant wanted the head coaching job and was trying to get the spot open?

Reactions: EightyOne

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
But the FO has been very weird this whole off-season, before this even broke, so I just feel like something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

I agree with that, but they're also dealing with a global pandemic which is preventing them from playing in front of paying customers which is a huge chunk of their income, so it's hard to say.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I agree with that, but they're also dealing with a global pandemic which is preventing them from playing in front of paying customers which is a huge chunk of their income, so it's hard to say.

Yeah, I know. It's just everything at once. :laugh: :cry:

I just wish I would see the Penguins pop up on my Czech news sites for not losing and also for better news every once in a while. :laugh:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Yeah, I know. It's just everything at once. :laugh: :cry:

I just wish I would see the Penguins pop up on my Czech news sites for not losing and also for better news every once in a while. :laugh:

Hope this finds you well.

b6e7b3cf7c9867216e28be5fa12a36a1.gif

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
This is false. There are industries/positions like teachers and health care workers, etc. that are mandated reporters that are legally required to report suspected crimes and can face criminal prosecution if they do not. The vast majority of businesses have no legal obligation to report a crime, especially when it did not happen on their property or during working hours and they are basing it off of an allegation from another employee.

Hypothetically, what happens if an assistant coach tells the team the head coach did something illegal, the team notifies the police, and after the investigation is completed, it turns out that the assistant wanted the head coaching job and was trying to get the spot open?

im talking morally not legally.

If you have reason to believe a crime was committed you have a moral obligation to report it. To police

If you believe an HR violation occured You have the moral obligation to report it to HR.

None of it is anyone elses business

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

If you have reason to believe a crime was committed you have a moral obligation to report it. To police

If you believe an HR violation occured You have the moral obligation to report it to HR.

Unless you are potentially opening yourself
up to a liability for reporting it. It isn’t an organization’s job to report anything to the police.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

Would it be morally correct to turn someone over to the authorities (where the accusations then become public knowledge) whenever they have been falsely accused by someone with an ulterior motive? It is up to the person who has been wronged to decide if it should be made into a criminal matter.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
sure seems like people are conflating giving second chances with actually covering up crimes. sorry but "the org didn't actively notify every pens fan about zolnierczyk committing a crime years before he was signed" and "bad vibes from the front office this year" doesn't really count as covering up sex crimes to me. i also don't think it's on anyone but the victim and her husband to decide to pursue criminal charges, although i have no trouble believing guerin's a dumbass

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

If they don't feel morally obligated to be transparent, that's a whole other problem. I mean. Every company should feel morally obligated to let us know they are casting out shitheads for being shitheads.

This isn't a faceless corporation making widgets in some far off land.

This is a very highly public entertainment group dependent on fan money. They need to at least appear to operate in a manner that places our trust in them.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Would it be morally correct to turn someone over to the authorities (where the accusations then become public knowledge) whenever they have been falsely accused by someone with an ulterior motive? It is up to the person who has been wronged to decide if it should be made into a criminal matter.

It depends

If you have reason to believe that an actual crime (of somewhat serious nature) has occurred. Yes, i believe you have a duty to report that crime.

Again - reason to believe, as in a believable story thats is a serious crime (generally a felony but im sure there are exceptions both ways as im not a law expert). I believe there is a duty as a person to report that crime.

Now there are always exceptions and variables that can change this but as a starting point i believe this.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If they don't feel morally obligated to be transparent, that's a whole other problem. I mean. Every company should feel morally obligated to let us know they are casting out shitheads for being shitheads.

This isn't a faceless corporation making widgets in some far off land.

This is a very highly public entertainment group dependent on fan money. They need to at least appear to operate in a manner that places our trust in them.

Its not the publics business, period.

They owe you no transparency ever.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Do we have any proof that the people on the Pittsburgh Penguins told Skalde to not go to the police?

If your close friend gets sexually assaulted or domestically abused and they are not willing to go to the police is it your duty to report it?

I mean, that's something that'll come out in court one way or the other. And if Guerin was stupid enough to leave a paper trail, it's going to be even worse.

But it is interesting that the organization's defense isn't that the charges are categorically untrue, but that it's after the statute of limitations has passed. :dunno: Just not a great look.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean, that's something that'll come out in court one way or the other. And if Guerin was stupid enough to leave a paper trail, it's going to be even worse.

But it is interesting that the organization's defense isn't that the charges are categorically untrue, but that it's after the statute of limitations has passed. :dunno: Just not a great look.

I mean, they are simply targeting what the lawsuit is which is wrongful termination due to being a whistle blower and the lawyers basically said that they took immediate action (which they did) after becoming aware of the situation and also terminated him due to COVID (which is the questionable thing here in my opinion).

I don't see how this is "not a great look". The organization literally moved on from the guy within a day or so of knowing about the accusation. IMO that is a very good look considering what we've seen with Peters, and other coaches.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, they are simply targeting what the lawsuit is which is wrongful termination due to being a whistle blower and the lawyers basically said that they took immediate action (which they did) after becoming aware of the situation and also terminated him due to COVID (which is the questionable thing here in my opinion).

I don't see how this is "not a great look". The organization literally moved on from the guy within a day or so of knowing about the accusation. IMO that is a very good look considering what we've seen with Peters, and other coaches.

Which is part of what makes it a bad look to us non-HR folk in the cheap seats.

But I have no sympathy for big organizations anymore anyhow, even the ones I like. Six months, a year ago, I'd maybe cut them slack, but I doubt the Pens are any different, and I love the Pens. :dunno:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Which is part of what makes it a bad look to us non-HR folk in the cheap seats.

But I have no sympathy for big organizations anymore anyhow, even the ones I like. Six months, a year ago, I'd maybe cut them slack, but I doubt the Pens are any different, and I love the Pens. :dunno:

Then stop focusing on the sexual assault or how the Penguins didn’t do the right thing there.

They handled it as good as they could.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Do we have any proof that the people on the Pittsburgh Penguins told Skalde to not go to the police?

If your close friend gets sexually assaulted or domestically abused and they are not willing to go to the police is it your duty to report it?

Im not willing to make judgement on this specific case as i know zero details. Im speaking generally. I thought ive said that

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Then generally businesses don’t partake in actions that can incriminate them if it turns out one of their employees is in the wrong.

im not asking a business to do anything.

im say generally (with exceptions) its a mans moral obligation to report knowledge of a serious crime.

my point isn't complicated. I don't know why you want to go round and round.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
im not asking a business to do anything.

im say generally (with exceptions) its a mans moral obligation to report knowledge of a serious crime.

my point isn't complicated. I don't know why you want to go round and round.

Because the Pittsburgh Penguins are not “a man”.

I’m not sure what the expectations are here, Guerin immediately calls 911 and reports rape upon someone telling him what happened to their wife six months prior?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad