Penguins to Winnipeg offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

YellHockey*

cneely said:
Some will for sure, and those 2 or 3 nights a year when the roads are hard to travel on, they may miss a game or two.

I just looked at the weather stats for Winnipeg on weather.ca. I'm surprised at how little snow Winnipeg gets.

Yeah, Saskatoon's pushing it, but I think you underestimate how many NHL fans reside in Regina.

It doesn't matter how many fans reside in Regina. It matters that it takes SEVEN hours to get to Winnipeg from Regina. You're not going to get many fans from seven hours away.

I threw out a possibility back on the first page. It was rumored that the Asper family looked at purchasing the team back when they left Winnipeg. Global may be a good fit.

Sorry. I missed that.

But I don't think Global is a good fit. It doesn't fit their business model of purchasing US shows and simsubbing them over the American networks. They've got the rights to so many US shows that they have a second network in many markets to show them all. There just isn't room in their schedule to deal with the schedule of an NHL team.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
lol... Yeah, it's too damn cold here to snow.

I think you'd have a number (maybe a small number, but a number) of fans who would make the trip to each game. Hell, I know people in Winnipeg who have season tickets to the Vikes. I know... only 8 games a year, but that's almost twice as far.

CKND, which was the original Global station, used to broadcast Jets games here in the Peg. Granted, Global's business has changed a great deal since then, but the history is there.

MacDaddy TLC*

MojoJojo said:
You know that Penguins live in the anarctic right? Polar bears = North pole. Penguins = South pole
damn Bi polarism

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
cneely said:
It was rumored that the Asper family looked at purchasing the team back when they left Winnipeg. Global may be a good fit.
LOL.

Pater familia Izzy Asper pulled out of the consortium when the Federal Goverment didn't come through with $37 million. Guy owed his fortune to Liberal party connections. Oh, BTW, he's dead now.

His sons Lenny and Squiggy run the CanWest show now. Leonard controls the cash register, David does not. Squiggy's quite the jock *guffaw*. And what a fine job he did with the Blue Bombers *chortle*.

Anyways, don't count on the Aspers to be the White Knights riding in to bring back the Jets. Look around the city and you'll see a multitude of philanthropic contributions be it museums, hospital wings or baseball parks. They've done their charity.

The Jets are grounded. The Avro Arrow has a better chance of lifting off.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
LOL.

Pater familia Izzy Asper pulled out of the consortium when the Federal Goverment didn't come through with $37 million. Guy owed his fortune to Liberal party connections. Oh, BTW, he's dead now.

His sons Lenny and Squiggy run the CanWest show now. Leonard controls the cash register, David does not. Squiggy's quite the jock *guffaw*. And what a fine job he did with the Blue Bombers *chortle*.

Anyways, don't count on the Aspers to be the White Knights riding in to bring back the Jets. Look around the city and you'll see a multitude of philanthropic contributions be it museums, hospital wings or baseball parks. They've done their charity.

The Jets are grounded. The Avro Arrow has a better chance of lifting off.

everyone's entitled to their opinion.

hehe, i also laugh at the bombers since it's so funny they're profitable. [sarcasm]

also i look around the city, and look at this economic development you speak of, and fail to see your negative spin. you make it sound as if the aspers are responsible for and are financing the building boom in winnipeg.

nice try bashing winnipeg though. keep trolling, you might have success in a thread one of these years.

:handclap:

Last edited:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Beukeboom Fan said:
Didn't the Jet's leave the Peg when the average team salary was probably less than half of what the salary cap could be set at (30-35M)?

the jets had the 9th highest payroll in '95-'96 at us$ 20.9 million.
edmonton's was $ 11.4 million

of course that was 9 years ago. edmonton now has revenues of cdn$80 million (see nhl website).

i'm sure winnipeg can compete

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
hawker14 said:
nice try bashing winnipeg though.
Who's bashing Winnipeg? I'm just laying out the facts. The Aspers aren't going to buy a NHL franchise. They're leveraged to the hilt with their media empire as it is. Unless they can be guaranteed fat gobs of dough, there's nothing there to motivate CanWest.

Look at who's on their board of directors. Frank King and Paul Godrey. Two of the most stunningly successful sports financiers Canada has ever seen. King with the '88 Calgary Winter Olympics, and Godfrey with the Blue Jays. Neither one shy before a camera, you'd think they'd be at the forefront of a legitimate bid. Oh, that's right, they aren't. Why? They're smart businessmen FIRST.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
Who's bashing Winnipeg? I'm just laying out the facts. The Aspers aren't going to buy a NHL franchise. They're leveraged to the hilt with their media empire as it is. Unless they can be guaranteed fat gobs of dough, there's nothing there to motivate CanWest.

Look at who's on their board of directors. Frank King and Paul Godrey. Two of the most stunningly successful sports financiers Canada has ever seen. King with the '88 Calgary Winter Olympics, and Godfrey with the Blue Jays. Neither one shy before a camera, you'd think they'd be at the forefront of a legitimate bid. Oh, that's right, they aren't. Why? They're smart businessmen FIRST.

you've produced no facts. only your opinion and conjecture. of course, no one in this thread has stated the aspers would purchase an nhl team, there's only been you claiming they wouldn't.

produce some facts, please ...

again, nice try.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Bicycle Repairman said:

1) Nobody has stated they're likely to buy the team, simply that they may broadcast the games.
2) I left my position there as a senior in the accounting department about a year ago. They're not as leveraged as you may think.
3) There is no bid. We're talking about whether or not it's possible that the city of Winnipeg may be able to support an NHL franchise.

For what it's worth, Leonard is actually reasonably athletic. I've played both baseball and hockey with him, and he's not blessed with loads of natural talent, but he's decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->