Penguins Ticket Prices

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Was reading an article that discussed how the Penguins resale tickets are really not expensive, and in fact have been lower the last few seasons post-Stanley cup than they were at the beginning of the decade.
Any reason why?
Has interest dropped or are prices just inflated?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Was reading an article that discussed how the Penguins resale tickets are really not expensive, and in fact have been lower the last few seasons post-Stanley cup than they were at the beginning of the decade.
Any reason why?
Has interest dropped or are prices just inflated?

13 years of post season. 4 years of success including two cup wins in the last three. Fatigue / everyone that wanted to see it pretty much could.

I paid 900+ for one ticket to see the Pens in San Jose for a cup final. I paid less than 500 for me and my girl to go see Game 5 against Nashville.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
13 years of post season. 4 years of success including two cup wins in the last three. Fatigue / everyone that wanted to see it pretty much could.

I paid 900+ for one ticket to see the Pens in San Jose for a cup final. I paid less than 500 for me and my girl to go see Game 5 against Nashville.
What SJ game?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Same.

I also think..not trying to sound like a jerk..but local economics play a role.

PIT or NSH likely couldn't sustain 900$ tickets. Whereas the San Jose area could.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
Glad to hear it. I thought about making my way down to Pittsburgh for the SJ final a few years ago (from Ottawa) but the prices were astronomical. I'd love to make a trip this year if the Pens make it deep.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Season ticket holders are having a hard time selling the regular season tickets. Too much of a good thing combined with a lot of games.

In about 5 years tickets are going to be dirt cheap and that 'best fans in the nhl' slogan is going to look stupid.

I think for the most part, fanbases across the country are going to be increasingly fickle if their teams don't look like winners. So many alternative entertainment options now.

Living in Chicago, during the Cubs' lean years you could find tickets for like $5-$10 and they are an institution.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I think for the most part, fanbases across the country are going to be increasingly fickle if their teams don't look like winners. So many alternative entertainment options now.

Living in Chicago, during the Cubs' lean years you could find tickets for like $5-$10 and they are an institution.

Absolutely, not 'blaming' pittsburgh fans more than anyone else. I'd be considered a die hard by most people, rarely miss a game on tv. Went to game 7 in detroit, I've been to 13 different NHL arenas. That said, I only go to about 3-5 games a year in pittsburgh. Even if I had season tickets it would feel like a chore to go to even half of the home games.

The city is small and the wave can't continue forever, but we will be known as a city that doesn't support the team without a lemieux/crosby; it's coming.

Also this is off topic, but one of the games I went to this year, I watched two teenagers play on their phones for the ENTIRE duration of the game, while they were with their parents. I wasn't sure who I wanted to yell at more, the kids or parents. Pay huge money for lower bowl seats to play on their phone.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
After market still looks ridiculous to me.

Really? There are playoff tickets right now for $76.50. That's before fees, but still, very reasonable. Wait until game day and lower bowl ones will drop some. Personally, I love the views from upper bowl so extra money for lower isn't worth it.

Reactions: Riptide

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Really? There are playoff tickets right now for $76.50. That's before fees, but still, very reasonable. Wait until game day and lower bowl ones will drop some. Personally, I love the views from upper bowl so extra money for lower isn't worth it.

Nosebleeds always been that cheap. $300-400 for lower bowl per a ticket before fees. That's about what I paid a few years ago so I'm not seeing much of a change.

Puck You Too

Apr 12, 2019
Maryland
Ticket prices haven't moved all that much in the last 5 years. Early season Stubhub and Vivid will beat Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster prices will be better late in the season. Sign up for the Pens Pass on the app. The day before the game they offer some discounts during the season, lower bowl ran $77 and upper $45. Week days always cheaper than weekends. Same pattern for as long as I remember.

The only playoff games that are expensive are the weekend games. Even finals haven't been too bad. I go to 20-25 home games a season. Then usually almost all the playoffs. I'd have season tickets but driving 2+ hours over the mountains in the winter isn't always doable.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Nosebleeds always been that cheap. $300-400 for lower bowl per a ticket before fees. That's about what I paid a few years ago so I'm not seeing much of a change.

Nah man. "Nosebleeds" were well over $100 in the past depending on the day and round. I love the nosebleeds at PPG anyway. I like being able to see the whole ice from above.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd go to more random games if it wasn't for the service charges. $40 ticket with $20 in fees on top. Buy 2 tickets and you pay for 3. Ridiculous.

So I have to wait until buddies want to sell the games they don't want to go to. However, they are getting more and more desperate to unload their seats. It's a grind to go to so many games. Especially if you live in the suburbs.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
What happened to the "Coming in for a game" thread? I'm headed in for gm3 and couldn't find it.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Pittsburgh isn’t that really of a wealthy city relative to others

There’s only a handful of Fortune 500 companies here with really good jobs where you can easily make 100-200K

The only big corporate giants here are PNC and Dicks/Alcoa/PPG/Mylan/AE..the latter grouping has gone through some very rough times and are small companies relative to your typical Fortune 500 company

Why is it that way? Not going to get into that because discussing politics is a no no

Until those jobs come here (they probably won’t, ever) I don’t see the resale market ever becoming really great

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Yeah I went to game 5 as well and also paid less than 500. I wonder if that game being on a Thursday (iirc) had anything to do with the lower prices. I know when I looked after the game the game 7 tickets were 1k+ minimum but of course a game 7 on home ice for a potential Cup is gonna be that no matter what city...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad