News Article: Penguins - This Year’s Boom or Bust Team

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They aged Letang by three years. :laugh:

In all seriousness; yeah, no big revelation. Aging core, who is oft-injured, and a flawed supporting cast. I don't think it's a stretch to say we'll be battling for a playoff spot all season long, especially if Sid and Geno miss a big chunk of time.

We'll make it, imo. Too much top end talent, and it just feels like something this team does whether they have a shot at making a run or not. We'll run the big guns ragged down the stretch, stumble into the playoffs, and get eliminated in the 1st, maybe 2nd round.

I don't think this team is boom or bust. Middling is where I'd put 'em. They're not gonna compete for a Cup again in the Sid/Geno era, I'm about as certain of that as I am of anything. They're also not at the point where they'll be vying for a top-5 pick or anything.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Meh

Jarry and DeSmith have high quality start percentages despite the standard slumps we have each season

We were a top 5 defensive team in 19-20 at 5v5 - when we were only 10th for goals per 60 at all strengths - and at 13th last season not so far off we couldn't be following that path again

Letang's not 37

This article's shoddily written and ignorant of the facts and while we could boom or bust, the most likely scenario at this point is we make it again and do not much again

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The whole Crosby absence impact thing is totally overblown. He's already skating.
He'll miss like a handful of games, a few of which we would lose with any roster most likely.

He's 34. He was likely to miss time later in the season anyway. That's just how it works at that age, playing that many tough minutes. It's an 82 game season. The Metro will not be decided in October.

Besides, our record without him is sparkling the last few years. Don't recall his and Malkin's presence last year saving us from Philly embarrassing us in the 2 opening games.

The writer put a modicum of effort into this article. But when I see a "fan" say Letang is 37, it's hard to take his opinions seriously.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean, it's a guess based on a decent level of logic but this is more horoscope stuff than legit analysis and predictions IMHO. You could literally say this same thing about every Pens team since 2018 AND you can say this about any NHL team currently.

I still question why I should be in any way believing this is a bust team. Why? "Because if Sid, Geno, Letang, Guentzel, <insert any player> don't perform well the team won't win as many games!!!!" Well no shit. Again, same thing can be said about the other 31 teams you dolt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad