Confirmed with Link: Penguins signs Tristan Jarry and Matt Murray to entry-level contracts

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
No, it's years from the signing the contract so the clock started ticking now for Jarry and Murray. So basically it doesn't make difference if you sign a goalie as an 18 year-old or as a 20 year-old, you only get 4 years of waiver exemption from the time they turn pro (assuming of course they play two years in juniors since being drafted).

Jarry for example wouldn't be waiver exempt until he turns 26 years. He'll be waiver exempt 6 years starting from this year (unless of course he meets the GP requirements first).

So waiver status really doesn't have anything to do with the timing of these signings.

I knew I should have looked directly in the CBA instead of relying on a site found via google search. Looking at the CBA, it looks like you're right.

My guess is that the team basically does it in order to get things out of the way when things are otherwise slow and potentially take care of the signing bonus when it is financially advantageous to the team (maybe it does something good for them tax-wise? There are plenty of non-CBA possibilities).

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
I knew I should have looked directly in the CBA instead of relying on a site found via google search. Looking at the CBA, it looks like you're right.

My guess is that the team basically does it in order to get things out of the way when things are otherwise slow and potentially take care of the signing bonus when it is financially advantageous to the team (maybe it does something good for them tax-wise? There are plenty of non-CBA possibilities).
I don't see their contracts up on Capgeek, but it's also possible that the team wanted to sign the players for league minimum before the league minimum increases.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I don't see their contracts up on Capgeek, but it's also possible that the team wanted to sign the players for league minimum before the league minimum increases.

Well when the league minimum increases it affects already signed contracts that fall behind that minimum. No player will ever make less than the league minimum is for that current season. So you can't try to get in contracts cheaply before the minimum rises.

Also I'm pretty sure they'll both get close to $900k which is the standard for rookies. Atleast Jarry will get that as a 2nd round pick.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Capgeek has preliminary contract info for Jarry and Murray. They show their caphits as $0.650833 million. That doesn't include any potential bonuses yet so it's not final info necessarily. Still those salaries are lower than I expected - especially for Jarry. Though now that I check Harrington also has quite low salary but it's the bonuses that bumped the cap hit to about $0.9 million (before ELC-slides) so Jarry and Murray also probably have some potential bonuses there that increase the cap hit to the standard level for rookies.

Matt Murray's salary info on Capgeek

Tristan Jarry's salary info on Capgeek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad