Penguins sign Radim Zohorna to a one-year, two-way contract

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Pens just gonna use him to help convince Jaromir to come over for his number retirement ceremony.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't know if that means you wanted me to post them or not, but here you go:

Been a busy day, so I don't really have time to do a huge recap but the gist of it is, he's a guy that knows he's not really a finesse player, but works hard to get open and get pucks on net.

Sully's gonna love this dude if he's got a translator or speaks decent English (like many young Czechs do these days). Most of the interviews are him saying things like "We have to work hard. I was just trying to get into the right place and put a shot on net." :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The Zohornas are the Czech Staals. 3 brothers playing at a high level.

That's a pretty good comparison, in some ways, actually. The other two have some NA experience, but they're also a lot older (Tomáš is 32, I think, Hynek is 30, and Radim is only 24). Radim was the only one the last few years to play in the Extraliga though, Hynek and Tomáš play for Amur in the KHL.

Also, for what its worth, Radim seems to get loaned out a lot to other clubs, which isn't uncommon for younger Czech players who are tweeners on more dominant teams.

Also, Radim is by far the biggest. :laugh:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Interesting things from the interview (not Google translate) the gist of it per exchange:

1) Pittsburgh reached out to him, not the other way around. His agent called him and said there was an offer.
2) His brothers are happy for him, because Tomas always wanted to play in the NHL, and Hynek abandoned that dream early on.
3) One on one, he'd beat his brothers (what @OnMyOwn said above), but two on one, they'd kill him.
4) It's a little bit like a fairy tale, but he knows he has to fight his way up from the AHL to the big club.
5) Wants to play with all three of his brothers on the same team (good call, whoever called him Staal). His older brothers played together but he hasn't played with Tomas yet (who's an assistant captain, I think on Amur Khabarovsk)
6) He's eager to experience Pittsburgh, ( :laugh: ) but he doesn't want to make a mistake there.
7) Pittsburgh showed the most interest in him, though there were other offers who wanted to wait to see what happens post Coronavirus. He's always loved the Pens, so when he heard about the offer he replied back loud and clear.
8) He says the Pens said that if he didn't make the team out of camp, he'd be on the farm club, but it worked the same way as the big club (i.e. success there would bring him up in the same system), plus they had lots of good staff there to help him train and adjust.
9) The Pens became interested in him after watching him play in a tournament in November. Says his agent let him know the Pens were always asking about him.
10) He's prepared to go to the AHL, but he's putting all of his thoughts right now into making the big club.
11) Dominik Simon called him yesterday to welcome him. The club invited him to come to Pittsburgh to get to know the city, and if the Pens are playing by then, he could practice along side of the team for the postseason.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Nice.

And somehow I missed that he signed on his birthday. Happy belated birthday Radim!

Don't worry, his name day is August 25th, so he can get his presents then. :laugh:

I am curious to see if he would be eligible to play for the Pens should the postseason actually happen this year-- postseason doesn't count against burning a year on a contract, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad