Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Noel Acciari: 3 years, $2m AAV

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think they got him also because he’s a righty that wins draws. I don’t really care if his hit totals decrease in the regular season. A playoff series is where hit volume and impact matters the most. And, let’s be honest, it’s less about “wearing teams down” (because throwing a check expends about as much energy as absorbing one) and more about legally hurting/injuring to the point where lines have to get shuffled and lesser players are asked to play more and tougher minutes. And Acciari can hit to hurt.

Sullivan doesn’t like forwards going out of their way to hit, which is partly why Reaves was quite neutered here.

I was under the impression that Acciari is mostly a winger but

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I was under the impression that Acciari is mostly a winger but

Sounds like he was brought in to play 4C, in place of Carter hopefully…lol…sure, our center depth got younger moving Carter out, but then again:
Sid: 36
Geno: 37
Eller:34
Acciari: 31

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Sounds like he was brought in to play 4C, in place of Carter hopefully…lol…sure, our center depth got younger moving Carter out, but then again:
Sid: 36
Geno: 37
Eller:34
Acciari: 31
There is no way Carter gets through this season without a regular stretch of games at C.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There is no way Carter gets through this season without a regular stretch of games at C.
I’d love to be this cynical but I really think Eller and Acciari were brought in so that Sullivan doesn’t have to rely on playing Carter to take his coveted D zone draws…they have more speed than him too, which isn’t saying much. Now will Carter continue to play RW on L4? He might, at least some
games but he should be scratched

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
View attachment 725260

@HandshakeLine @3ladesof5teel

You guys wanted more physicality. He was tops in the playoffs in hits among non-finalists, by a landslide.
Since he can actually do more than just hit, I'll welcome that edge to his game.

It's the effective type of physicality. 17 penalties drawn. 9 taken.
Perfectly fine with this signing. Only sandpaper we have though but Acciari is solid at what he is asked to do

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This was my favourite signing of the bunch. He was basically the most noticeable Leaf for 90% of the time after his acquisition at the TDL.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
People still think hits are a good stat? All that says to me is he never has the puck.
Hes solid defensively, plays center andnis over 50% on face offs, and scores around 10 goals per 82 while playing 3rd/4th line minutes.. And despite the high hit numbers he doesnt get that much penalties and draws a decent amount too.

very solid as a 4c.

Although 3 year deal might be a reach on term as he ages and phsicality takes its toll.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I'm not worried about him per se. I'm worried about how Sullivan will use him. :laugh:

I guarantee you his hitting drops this season though.

Yet his penalties taken will increase. It's that mysterious Pens/Sully/refs "paradox".

If Bunting had signed here he would have been instantly neutered -- and would still have gotten 100+ PIMs next season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
People still think hits are a good stat? All that says to me is he never has the puck.

They're mostly not a great stat but I think every team needs some guys who play good hockey without the puck, and you can either pay those guys a ton to be good with the puck as well or you can economise.

In Acciari's case, we've got someone who does pretty much everything without the puck other than be big or stay fit, and while he won't do much without it, he knows his limitations there - he'll shoot a lot and he's okay at it.

I don't love it for 2m but I think it's a player type we've desperately needed.

Reactions: eXile3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad