Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Josh Maniscalco to a three-year, entry-level contract

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is Sanderson that highly ranked? When I was following the draft (before I thought we had traded the pick) I thought he was in the 20s.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is Sanderson that highly ranked? When I was following the draft (before I thought we had traded the pick) I thought he was in the 20s.

His draft stock soared in the last few months. Probably top 10, few scouts saying they have him as high as 6 according to McKenzie.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would be shocked if the Pens took a D or a G with their 15th pick. With that said, if the guy they are going after is still available at 15th and the next few teams also don't want that player, I can see JR making a move with a team that wants someone desperately at 15 and adds another pick in the draft and still gets the guy his scouting staff wants him to take.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wonder how much the 15th overall could address our roster needs in terms of a trade.

Might be a good start for a Palmieri or Rakell package.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I wonder how much the 15th overall could address our roster needs in terms of a trade.

Might be a good start for a Palmieri or Rakell package.
Rakell, Nylander, or Ehlers? Yeah, I could see that. Good enough to help immediately and young enough to be around for a long time. A soon-to-be 30 year old Palmieri who is a UFA after next season? Absolutely not. :laugh:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Pens have to get away from the constant one player away and rebuild the prospect depth and competition for cheap hungry players to develop and become NHL caliber players.

5 years ago investing in the future would have been worthwhile. At this point, anyone that costs win-now assets and not ready to make a BIG impact in the next year isn't worth it. Even if we hit on the 15th overall for example, chances are they're at least a couple years away from even making the team and unlikely to make an impact for another year or two after THAT. The window is absolutely closing at this point, even if JR knew what he was doing. In 3-4 years Sid and Geno will be closer to 40 and an entry deal top 6 winger scoring 20 goals in 2023 isn't going to fix that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
5 years ago investing in the future would have been worthwhile. At this point, anyone that costs win-now assets and not ready to make a BIG impact in the next year isn't worth it. Even if we hit on the 15th overall for example, chances are they're at least a couple years away from even making the team and unlikely to make an impact for another year or two after THAT. The window is absolutely closing at this point, even if JR knew what he was doing. In 3-4 years Sid and Geno will be closer to 40 and an entry deal top 6 winger scoring 20 goals in 2023 isn't going to fix that.

You've got about a 1 in 3 chance they're in the NHL in D+2 at 15OA iirc. Even if they're not a big impact, NHL calibre players on ELC deals are a big part in contending. It's worth gambling on - you can always trade the player for help in D+2 if they're not ready.

And even if you're right, doesn't really change that chethejet is right too - we're probably not one top 6 winger away. Going out and chasing that dude doesn't really accomplish anything. Better off taking the pick and crossing our fingers that we got really, really lucky with our pick - or just keeping the prospect until you can afford multiple pieces/a really awesome piece comes along.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The way to get more of these types of free agents is to show others that you are willing to give them a chance. If Marino was never a regular, Maniscalco probably doesn't sign with the Pens and goes elsewhere, I truly believe that. It's why when it comes to forwards, this team is very hit or miss with the College FA's that it attracts. When you see very few getting opportunities, you're looking at your career trajectory there and thinking, you know what, that other team isn't as good as this one, but at least I can get a shot there.

I am kind of tired of seeing that.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017

Thing is they are not going to win anything anymore unless they make major changes. Starting with coach and going down the list. This team needs more than 1 player to make them legit cup contender, this much was clearly shown last and this years playoffs. Stars are getting older, and every one of them will be year older next season. Anyone thinking that Sid and Geno can still drag this team on their backs whole season, and especially in the playoffs is foolish. That ship has sailed long ago. So no, I dont agree that they should be trading these picks for players that can maybe help them right now. Just look at how Zucker worked out, and they traded legit good D man for him, plus draft pick. So far he isnt anything to write home about, and is trending towards being next Brassard and not the missing piece to the puzzle.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Just look at how Zucker worked out, and they traded legit good D man for him, plus draft pick. So far he isnt anything to write home about, and is trending towards being next Brassard and not the missing piece to the puzzle.

Zucker is tied with Crosby and Malkin for the team lead in goals (regular season+playoffs) since the trade...

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens can retool with a pipeline of good prospects. For this off season, moving Murray, JJ, signing Jarry and a couple of RFA's is a start to fixing the roster. Personally I like Horny but I would move him for the right deal. Hopefully the new signings of O'Connor can pay dividends this year. Maniscalco, POJ, Poulin, Legare, in year 2022 is still the way to go. Jake, Marino, Petts, Jarry, maybe McCann is a nice corp to add to. Add a RW for Sid and see where Bjugstad is physically is also a priority.
Zucker Sid FA
Jake Geno Horny
McCann Bjugstad Rust
This is not a bad top 9 with a physical winger for Sid RH shot. Key here is Bjugs healthy and being what a big RH shot third center can do for the team.

Last edited:

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Zucker is tied with Crosby and Malkin for the team lead in goals (regular season+playoffs) since the trade...

Yes, that was while playing with Sid mostly. Unfortunately Sid would rather play with Guenz on his wing than Zucker, so Zucker is playing on Geno's line who he has 0 chemistry with. I am surprised Geno didnt punch Zucker already, as that line is looking worse than with Kessel last season (and we know how that worked out). Also, 4 out of 6 goals that he scored in regular seasons came in 2 games. He scored 2 more goals in remaining 13 games. Not really great production. If you compare crap performance with crap performance, does it really make it good?

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Pens can retool with a pipeline of good prospects. For this off season, moving Murray, JJ, signing Jarry and a couple of RFA's is a start to fixing the roster. Personally I like Horny but I would move him for the right deal. Hopefully the new signings of O'Connor can pay dividends this year. Maniscalco, POJ, Poulin, Legare, in year 2022 is still the way to go. Jake, Marino, Petts, Jarry, maybe McCann is a nice corp to add to. Add a RW for Sid and see where Bjugstad is physically is also a priority.
Zucker Sid FA
Jake Geno Horny
McCann Bjugstad Rust
This is not a bad top 9 with a physical winger for Sid RH shot. Key here is Bjugs healthy and being what a big RH shot third center can do for the team.

They are not getting rid of JJ, that is a pipe dream. Only way this happens is if they put him as anchor in another trade, and severely limit return. Also, odds are that tripping hobbit (Sheary) is resigned. Sullivan wanted him back really hard, so he will resign and play on 1st line with Sid, cause thats who Sid likes playing with. Or if that doesnt happen, he will play with Rust. Jake will also play with Sid because thats who Sid prefers. Even thought 1st and 2nd line didnt work for the playoffs, Sullivan never switched Jake and Zucker around (which is what he should have tried at least). No reason to believe this will happen next season either. Not sure why you would want to break up best line from last year (Guenz-Malkin-Rust) and play Horni on the 2nd line.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Yes, that was while playing with Sid mostly. Unfortunately Sid would rather play with Guenz on his wing than Zucker, so Zucker is playing on Geno's line who he has 0 chemistry with. I am surprised Geno didnt punch Zucker already, as that line is looking worse than with Kessel last season (and we know how that worked out). Also, 4 out of 6 goals that he scored in regular seasons came in 2 games. He scored 2 more goals in remaining 13 games. Not really great production. If you compare crap performance with crap performance, does it really make it good?

Malkin and Zucker had a 58.77 CF%, 60 FF%, and a 63.94 xGF% in their four games as linemates against Montreal, which were their first games playing together.

Also, yes, Zucker's goal scoring is going to look worse if you take away the games he scores goals in. He scored in 6 out of 19 total games for the Penguins, which is 31.5%. His career regular season percentage is 29%.

Edit: Zucker scored in 7/20 games if you count the game against the Flyers.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Trading the 15 OA pick for a player is counter productive in a couple of ways.

1. In most years that would be a top ten pick. This draft is about 15 or 16 deep in top ten talent.

2. You have to pay said traded for player. What the Pens need to compete is some talent on ELCs. It is a Cap world and you need some talent that is cheap.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Pens have to get away from the constant one player away and rebuild the prospect depth and competition for cheap hungry players to develop and become NHL caliber players.
I'm quickly coming around to this thinking. If you trickle a prospect into the lineup here and there then you are just getting players who acclimate to the status quo. If you have waves of players graduating, then you get the cultural shot in the arm that I think is necessary. I think this is part of the reason why the team has looked so good when they're badly injured.

I think we need to keep the 15 or trade up. Maybe try to add a high pick or prospect too. If we can build on a group consisting of Poulin, Legare, POJ, maybe Maniscalco/Reilly, the #15+ then that could be a nice shift in a year or 2.

The reports on Maniscalco seem to be all over the place. I'm not sure what to think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm quickly coming around to this thinking. If you trickle a prospect into the lineup here and there then you are just getting players who acclimate to the status quo. If you have waves of players graduating, then you get the cultural shot in the arm that I think is necessary. I think this is part of the reason why the team has looked so good when they're badly injured.

I think we need to keep the 15 or trade up. Maybe try to add a high pick or prospect too. If we can build on a group consisting of Poulin, Legare, POJ, maybe Maniscalco/Reilly, the #15+ then that could be a nice shift in a year or 2.

The reports on Maniscalco seem to be all over the place. I'm not sure what to think.

Just on this - Pronman did his org ranking for us on The Athletic this morning - and he said Maniscalco was very intelligent, but his game lacked much of speed. Which is pretty much the opposite of what Farkas said here. (They agree he's not that skillful). I would love to see an article where scouts sit down and talk about a player they hard disagree on and talk about what they're seeing and where they're differing.

Based on all I'm hearing - while I still think he'll be offered the chance to go right in, that's something they'd like and if there was competition it's something they'd have offered - it feels like he'll need time to adjust, and that if we get an Ian Cole type player out of him, we'll have done very well.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rakell, Nylander, or Ehlers? Yeah, I could see that. Good enough to help immediately and young enough to be around for a long time. A soon-to-be 30 year old Palmieri who is a UFA after next season? Absolutely not. :laugh:

Palmieri does what we need probably better than any of them (Ehlers in particular, another LH shot). He's a huge competitor, reliable defensively, and a shooter/goal scorer from the LH boards by nature.

If he did well here, there's little reason to think he wouldn't re-sign. Palmieri is 4 years younger than Crosby/Malkin, so it's reasonable to assume he'd be effective as long as they are. After that, I'm not terribly concerned.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Palmieri does what we need probably better than any of them (Ehlers in particular, another LH shot). He's a huge competitor, reliable defensively, and a shooter/goal scorer from the LH boards by nature.

If he did well here, there's little reason to think he wouldn't re-sign. Palmieri is 4 years younger than Crosby/Malkin, so it's reasonable to assume he'd be effective as long as they are. After that, I'm not terribly concerned.

Try to lure Dadonov to play with Geno? He's UFA. Hoffman?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
AT 15 Pens need to add either the winger from Wisconsin or trade down for a later pick and add Schneider RH D man who gives the Pens another nice prospect. Marino, either Maniscalco or him can make the right side D very promising. Letang will be gone one way or another and Marino, will be the top line guy.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
AT 15 Pens need to add either the winger from Wisconsin or trade down for a later pick and add Schneider RH D man who gives the Pens another nice prospect. Marino, either Maniscalco or him can make the right side D very promising. Letang will be gone one way or another and Marino, will be the top line guy.
schneider might not still be there at 15.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I'm assuming you mean center?

Halloway?

And Schneider is ranked in the top ten in North America, do you really think he'll be there if we traded back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad