Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Josh Maniscalco to a three-year, entry-level contract

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Heh maybe. Though the Caps may trade for him like they did Hags from LA

Hags was on his last year and we tried to trade for him back but were unaware the rules you can't do that after you retain on a player. If they trade for Horny from Nashville they got problems because they looked cooked.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The last several pages have nothing to do with the thread. Can we keep this on topic?
Another solid add by JR and his scouting staff.

Marino, POJ via the Kessel deal, and then Maniscalco, that's some quick retooling of the future on defense, and I guess whatever you want to call Pettersson, I am just not sold on him still. But Marino, POJ and Maniscalco I am very pumped about, as well as the outlier, Will Rielly.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure what position we pick at #15 matters. If a guy falls, even better. We're getting a legit stud prospect who will hopefully turn into a cornerstone player down the line. Ideally, I'd either take a center or blueliner though, as I think the best teams are always built down the middle.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure what position we pick at #15 matters. If a guy falls, even better. We're getting a legit stud prospect who will hopefully turn into a cornerstone player down the line. Ideally, I'd either take a center or blueliner though, as I think the best teams are always built down the middle.

I would go even more extreme and say take the best-center-available.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Like the forward from Wisky at 15, if he is gone trade down for Schnieder a RD with size and plays with grit and purpose. Pens with him and Maniscalco now have two big defenders who bring something the Pens have lacked for years.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What if the BPA is a goalie?
I’d take Askarov there.

Seems like the middle of the draft is forward heavy though. Bourque, Perreault, Jarvis, Mercer. The D that will be there don’t strike me as having significant upside, more low-risk-low-reward types.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Perhaps JR gets another dman at 15th OA?

Drysdale sure as hell won’t be there and unless Sanderson falls there are no D worth picking in the top 15. This is a forward heavy draft and the Pens need to take advantage of that unless they move up or someone falls into their lap.

Reactions: 66-30-33

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think Askarov is the real deal but the problem with us taking a goalie is A) it could take very long to reap rewards (even more so with one from Russia) and B) I feel like goalies don’t carry as much trade value as skaters, especially a goalie prospect.

Still, if we took him... it’s hard to be upset.

Reactions: Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Askarov is the real deal but the problem with us taking a goalie is A) it could take very long to reap rewards (even more so with one from Russia) and B) I feel like goalies don’t carry as much trade value as skaters, especially a goalie prospect.

Both points are very valid... I think that’s why you don’t see goalies going higher in the draft these days. Most teams have a starter locked up for a while and at least a prospect or two that may not be Askarov or Knight good but that they like a lot anyway. Enough to look at skaters instead.

There’s also that higher risk factor. If you draft a good all-around d-man, maybe he doesn’t reach his offensive potential but he still becomes a good d-man in general.. but if a highly touted goalie doesn’t become an elite starter, what is he?

Askarov had a so-so U20, which a lot of 17 year olds do, not just goalies, but that’s enough doubt for teams to say no. And all these reasons are why I think he’ll fall lower than the 10-12 range he’s currently rated.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

C) It's very hard to predict whether we'd even need the reward when it came. Goaltenders are a pretty random breed and you only need two; it's not impossible we'd stumble into a rock solid affordable tandem by the time he comes. And sure, you can move a guy to make way for Askarov when the time comes... but as noted, goalies don't carry as much trade value as skaters.

If he slips through the numerous teams that do badly need a goalie of the future and he's there and BPA, then... well, I guess you do it. And I guess in the long run, if Askarov is what his fans say, him at 15OA will look smart. But it'd not be the ideal outcome for our situation.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad