Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Josh Maniscalco to a three-year, entry-level contract

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Just on this - Pronman did his org ranking for us on The Athletic this morning - and he said Maniscalco was very intelligent, but his game lacked much of speed. Which is pretty much the opposite of what Farkas said here. (They agree he's not that skillful). I would love to see an article where scouts sit down and talk about a player they hard disagree on and talk about what they're seeing and where they're differing.

Based on all I'm hearing - while I still think he'll be offered the chance to go right in, that's something they'd like and if there was competition it's something they'd have offered - it feels like he'll need time to adjust, and that if we get an Ian Cole type player out of him, we'll have done very well.
Yeah I don't know why Pronman would say that. Maniscalo himself stated his skating as his biggest asset (or the one he relies on).
From nhl.com:
"I'm a big believer that being a good skater is the way of the game anymore, so I like to rely on my legs big-time," Maniscalco said. "I like to jump in the play, that's for sure. I love the rush of just being up in the play, beating the other team's forwards up ice and providing that extra offense. I've learned the hard way that you've got to be able to play defense, too (laughs). So I like call myself a two-way defenseman."

Unless Pronman was talking about the speed of decision making and I misread your post?
At any rate, this was a LEGIT get for the team. One thing that I really like that isn't being put in the main plus category as much as it should be is the goals. Yes, his points are definitely being discussed but I love that 11 of those points were goals. Those 11 goals were good for 2nd place in the NCAA for D-Men this year with first place (Farance from BU) only beating that mark by a single goal. Assists are great and valuable of course but it's more common for an offensive defenseman to get his high point totals based on an assist to goal ratio lopsided with assists. So having one who is a legit goal scoring threat from the blueline for nothing but the contract is much more rare and a major coup for the Pens.

I see POJ and Will Reilly mentioned in this thread but not a whole lot of Cam Lee who I was also pretty stoked when we signed him. I think he's gonna turn out better than Reilly IMO.

These two signings (and O'Connor's of course) went a long way for our overall organization/prospect depth....and especially the prospect depth on our blueline after trading Addison.

Still a long way to go but having a couple of legit and/or potential blue chippers (with the 15th pick included in that statement) rather than one and a bunch of guys whose max potential (and a long shot to ever even reach it) is depth or AHL/NHL tweeners now in the system over the span of just a couple months time is very nice.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Ehh some combo of Hallander, Maniscalco, and O'Connor is not a bad way to round out a top 5.
Hallander's a long shot to be anything at the NHL level, imo. Maniscalco is a mystery to all of us, and while we're excited, the odds of him being a nobody are pretty high. I have legit no idea who O'Connor is. :laugh:

We have like three prospects in this wretched prospect pool that look to make any sort of noise as NHLers. Maybe one or two guys come outta nowhere to surprise, but this team's been mortgaging the future for about a decade-plus, and has the prospect pool to show for it.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Hallander's a long shot to be anything at the NHL level, imo. Maniscalco is a mystery to all of us, and while we're excited, the odds of him being a nobody are pretty high. I have legit no idea who O'Connor is. :laugh:

We have like three prospects in this wretched prospect pool that look to make any sort of noise as NHLers. Maybe one or two guys come outta nowhere to surprise, but this team's been mortgaging the future for about a decade-plus, and has the prospect pool to show for it.

Dude, are you ok?

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I wouldn't be nearly so pessimistic. I'm no authority on these guys but reports are encouraging, especially for Hallander who by most accounts projects to be a solid middle-six complementary wing if injuries don't throw a wrench in the works.

O'Connor is 6'3" and was one of the best goal scorers in the NCAA last year. Reports suggest he's got good hockey IQ, can skate well, and play at both ends of the ice.

Scouting report on Penguins forward prospect Drew O'Connor

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad