Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Josh Maniscalco to a three-year, entry-level contract

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Digging up these undrafted players are key

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
giphy.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't be surprised to see Maniscalco starting the year in the NHL, to be honest. He plays the exact style that I think JR views as the "right D partner" for Johnson. They may still acquire a more veteran guy instead of rushing a 21 year old defenseman into the NHL, but I could easily see him being in the NHL next year.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I wouldn't be surprised to see Maniscalco starting the year in the NHL, to be honest. He plays the exact style that I think JR views as the "right D partner" for Johnson. They may still acquire a more veteran guy instead of rushing a 21 year old defenseman into the NHL, but I could easily see him being in the NHL next year.

Yeah, I think this is one of those cases where he’ll be given every chance to take a spot because they need it. Unless he Pouliot in 2015s it he could start in the NHL. I think the same could be said for POJ, though. They’ll be looking for a D prospect who can move the puck to seize the day.

This could be big for them, and the idea of Marino and Maniscalco on one team is amusing,

Reactions: Lustaf

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm just going to hide this here.... so people can't flame me. :laugh: With how Marino has gone, I think Oleksiak/Marino could have been a really good pairing. Letang/Dumo, Oleksiak/Marino, and now we have a ton of youth and Ruh to be that vet backup. I could actually get behind that type of d-core. I think Pets is nowhere near as good as Oleksiak for this team sadly. Dude is so scared to skate the puck.

Remove Schultz (let him walk) and buy out JJ and you have something cooking.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I think this is one of those cases where he’ll be given every chance to take a spot because they need it. Unless he Pouliot in 2015s it he could start in the NHL. I think the same could be said for POJ, though. They’ll be looking for a D prospect who can move the puck to seize the day.

This could be big for them, and the idea of Marino and Maniscalco on one team is amusing,

It's also worth pointing out that JR may have made that kind of promise to Maniscalco to get him to sign here. If he'd go back to college for another year, he'd likely have a massive year and be the undisputed #1 UDFA prospect for next off-season.

It's also not unheard of for UDFA defenseman at his age to juump right into the NHL. Troy Stecher signed with the Canucks in 2016 at age 22 out of North Dakota, and he played in 71 games with the Canucks the next year in his 22 year old season. It may not be smart to rush him into the NHL, but there is certainly precedent there.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Put me in the "I think they'll give every chance to Maniscalco" camp too. Not too big an issue if he doesn't take it and they have to use Ruh/a last minute free agent to fill it out.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's also worth pointing out that JR may have made that kind of promise to Maniscalco to get him to sign here. If he'd go back to college for another year, he'd likely have a massive year and be the undisputed #1 UDFA prospect for next off-season.

It's also not unheard of for UDFA defenseman at his age to juump right into the NHL. Troy Stecher signed with the Canucks in 2016 at age 22 out of North Dakota, and he played in 71 games with the Canucks the next year in his 22 year old season. It may not be smart to rush him into the NHL, but there is certainly precedent there.

Yeah, that’s not really the Pens’ style to promise a straight jump to the NHL but it wouldn’t surprise me if they bent some rules given their situation or thought it was a safe promise to make. I suspect they’re going to risk rushing some prospects next season anyway. Poulin and at least 1 D. Possibly the 2020 1st round pick.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Dear gods that'd be nice. Maybe break up Pettersson-Marino to try and avoid putting both rookies together.

I'd assume it doesn't go to plan for one of them, but we can dreeaaaaam.

Depending on how Marino progresses next year, maybe we could go:

Dumoulin - Marino
POJ - Letang (reduce Tanger's 5v5 a little bit, increase Marino's)
Pettersson - Maniscalco

Ok, I am dreaming... they will play JJ all year and in the playoffs, but gosh that would be a good and quite young defense. As Letang ages, other guys can take more minutes.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Depending on how Marino progresses next year, maybe we could go:

Dumoulin - Marino
POJ - Letang (reduce Tanger's 5v5 a little bit, increase Marino's)
Pettersson - Maniscalco

Ok, I am dreaming... they will play JJ all year and in the playoffs, but gosh that would be a good and quite young defense. As Letang ages, other guys can take more minutes.

I think Dumoulin-Letang is a mainstay unless they really struggle for a prolonged time. If you have two rookies in, you’d be be more likely to have

Dumoulin-Letang
POJ-Marino
Pettersson-Maniscalco

Not that they won’t be loyal to their boy JJ.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Another good thing with Maniscalco is that he's not an undersized OFD prospect, he's 6'2" and 200 lbs. His build is pretty similar to Dumoulin and Letang, as opposed to the tall and lanky defenseman the Penguins also have (Marino, Pettersson and POJ). A lot of OFD have that smaller build, so I'm happy to see Maniscalco has legit NHL size and that's not something we need to worry about.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I think Dumoulin-Letang is a mainstay unless they really struggle for a prolonged time. If you have two rookies in, you’d be be more likely to have

Dumoulin-Letang
POJ-Marino
Pettersson-Maniscalco

Not that they won’t be loyal to their boy JJ.

You are probably right.

I was suggesting POJ/Letang, because of the Québécois factor. I think Krissy could ease him in and mentor him. I also think that Marino can take the next step. I would reduce Letang's responsibilities a little so I can keep him healthy and fresh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->