Confirmed with Link: **A LOOK BACK ** Penguins sign Jack Johnson 5 years 16.25 total (3.25 cap hit)

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
To put it simply JJ is not a borderline NHL player, he is a legit #4 with some potential upside because one of the things that he does really well, that pass from the defensive zone to start a rush (only 5 other players complete that pass at a higher percentage) fits like a glove how the Pens play. Think about how Bonino would spring Hags and Kessel with those passes. Different position but goes to the point of what the Pens try to do to play to their strengths. His point totals almost certainly will go up playing with the Pens, especially if he connects with those passes to start the rush out of the defensive zone. Columbus was 17th in the NHL in goals per game, Pens 3rd.

And he is not being paid like a top line defenseman.

But...but 5 years!!!!

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
This might be the biggest head-scratcher post of the summer:

Chris Kunitz played for team Canada.
Dan Bylsma coached team USA
Ray Shero was the assistant GM of team USA.
The Olympics were 4 years ago.

Should we go after Sharp, Cam Ward, Luongo, Rick Nash and Orpik since they were Olympians in Sochi?

Are you sure Johnson was even on team USA on 2014? Surely you aren’t referring to something from 8 years ago....I mean really, you can’t be referring to the Vancouver games....right???:help:

Jack Johnson played on Team USA in 2010! He’s good!
Kunitz was in the midst of a 35g 70pt season and had great chemistry with Crosby.
Bylsma was one of the best HC in the league at the time
Shero was 1 year removed from a SC and considered a top 3 GM at the time.
Hard to argue against any of those selections.

Jack Johson has been one of the best american Dmen for the past decade. Yes it seems like he has regressed last year, but he's only 31 so it could be a fluke. Either way, we didn't sign him to play 20 minutes a night.

All I'm saying is maybe JJ still has something left in the tank. Although it is concerning that CBJ traded for Cole to play instead over a healthy JJ.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Kunitz was in the midst of a 35g 70pt season and had great chemistry with Crosby.
Bylsma was one of the best HC in the league at the time
Shero was 1 year removed from a SC and considered a top 3 GM at the time.
Hard to argue against any of those selections.

Jack Johson has been one of the best american Dmen for the past decade. Yes it seems like he has regressed last year, but he's only 31 so it could be a fluke. Either way, we didn't sign him to play 20 minutes a night.

All I'm saying is maybe JJ still has something left in the tank. Although it is concerning that CBJ traded for Cole to play instead over a healthy JJ.
By 2014, Bylsma was 5 years removed from a cup. Shero lobbied for his boyfriend, that’s why Bylsma made it.

But please answer my question of why does it matter that Johnson made the Olympic team 8+ years ago? How does that have anything to do with signing him to a 5 year deal 9 years later?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
By 2014, Bylsma was 5 years removed from a cup. Shero lobbied for his boyfriend, that’s why Bylsma made it.

But please answer my question of why does it matter that Johnson made the Olympic team 8+ years ago? How does that have anything to do with signing him to a 5 year deal 9 years later?
I believe he was responding to the guy who said JJ was never any good, so in that context it is relevant.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
just explaining the post.

anyway, we don't need him to be an olympic quality d-man to help our D. If he can be a 3rd pairing puck mover he'll help us.
True. But that seems like a lot of term and expensive for a third pairing guy, eh?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
True. But that seems like a lot of term and expensive for a third pairing guy, eh?

Yes. You have to just kinda look at it like...'wow, the Pens are sooooooooo deep, that 3.5mil/5year players are on the bottom pair!'

It is the only way to stay sane.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I still think he can be better than just fine on the 3rd pair though. We'll see. If he can be a good 4/5 guy, it's a good price these days. Term isn't great obviously, but that's how you keep cap hit down. I'm just trusting that Gonchar can get the most of him. His strengths are great for us as long as we can mitigate his weaknesses. As a unit we are definitely buying in to playing to our strengths instead of trying to cover up our weaknesses. If it works, it could be great. It's going to drive a lot of people crazy though, even if it works. If it doesn't work, well, he's another guy with similar weaknesses to the one's we've already got.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was replying to someone that said even if he’s a third paring dmen, we are fine.

He might start on the 3rd pairing, but I would not be shocked to see him tried on the 2nd pair. For balance sake, him being on the 3rd pair makes sense, you want 3 very strong units of defensmen, JJ on the 3rd pair with Oleksiak gives us that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm expecting the Penguins to start next year with Johnson-Schultz as the 2nd pair. I think Johnson will complement Schultz pretty well, even though neither are that strong defensively. I wouldn't be surprised for the Penguins to view Johnson as a physical shutdown defenseman with strong puck movement and skating talents, which would be a logical fit along Schultz.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Even if JJ starts on the bottom pair you know there will be injuries.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm expecting the Penguins to start next year with Johnson-Schultz as the 2nd pair. I think Johnson will complement Schultz pretty well, even though neither are that strong defensively. I wouldn't be surprised for the Penguins to view Johnson as a physical shutdown defenseman with strong puck movement and skating talents, which would be a logical fit along Schultz.
I actually think Justin's biggest development last year was his overall defensive play. While he got less and less powerplay time because the idiocy in our coaching staff, Justin just quietly got better defensively and I have been impressed with that side of his game. He's no longer this "meh" guy in his own end, he's rather solid there these days.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I actually think Justin's biggest development last year was his overall defensive play. While he got less and less powerplay time because the idiocy in our coaching staff, Justin just quietly got better defensively and I have been impressed with that side of his game. He's no longer this "meh" guy in his own end, he's rather solid there these days.
he got less and less powerplay time because he wasn't playing well on the PP. Letang was absolutely the better PP option most of the year.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I do agree, that's a comment I made earlier in the year. Schultz's 2-way game really improved this season, I'd honestly call him more of a 2-way defenseman now than a pure OFD. However, he's still not that strong defensively and should be used in an offensive role. I think the Penguins may look at Johnson as an ideal DFD on a pair that gets offensive minutes, and I think it's a fair thought to say that Schultz and Johnson would mesh well.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And some of what we have been talking about is the main point. You never know in advance how things will work out when you draft/trade/sign a FA. Not entirely. But after the fact and in the hindsight of most of a week I get it.

I can not say that enough.

I get it.

The guy has one of the best exit the defensive zone passes in the league. That is not all that he does, but it is the main part that seems to have intrigued the Pens.

I can see what you see JR, Sully, Gonchar, and what are trying to do here.

And although that seems like a 'well duh' kinda thing for so many years I simply did not get it. There was no 'Penguins Hockey' that people could point to like you could with certain other teams, simply throw Crosby and Malkin out there, grind it out, and get to your game. I may be 'stretching (pass)' it a bit but not by much.

JJ may work out beautifully, or may not, but I get why they went for him and he at least on paper fits 'Penguin Hockey' that everyone is trying to emulate.

And honestly that is all you can ask for. Having a clear vision, a winning vision, and sticking to it.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
JJ may work out beautifully, or may not, but I get why they went for him and he at least on paper fits 'Penguin Hockey' that everyone is trying to emulate.

And honestly that is all you can ask for. Having a clear vision, a winning vision, and sticking to it.

After the success the team has had recently, I don't understand why more fans don't have more faith in management, and at least wait to see how things work out before deciding management is just flinging poo against a wall hoping to create a masterpiece.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
After the success the team has had recently, I don't understand why more fans don't have more faith in management, and at least wait to see how things work out before deciding management is just flinging poo against a wall hoping to create a masterpiece.

That is what I love most about the management that has been here since JR came. They have a clear vision and do not give a damn what anyone thinks, they stick to their plan and usually it works while the rest of the NHL laughs at them. Niskanen? Daley? Oleksiak? Especially Schultz. Oh the howls went on and on when the Pens traded for each. But the biggest thing that they did was ignore the checking line for their 2016 cup. Just roll four balanced line and dare people to match up. People no longer are laughing.

Now they are laughing about this signing. And the Pens do not care in the least. Who would be surprised if JR and company get the last laugh once more?

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'll just always remember the derision HF shot at the Pens when they acquired Trevor Daley in 2016. "LOL if Daley is a regular for you, you'll never win a Cup". Two straight Cups later, and here we are.

Some players might not have the "stats" or the "analytics", but sometimes just are the right fit. Time will tell if Johnson is the right fit, but I'm not going to pre-judge too harshly after what JR's been able to do with other so-called "bad analytic" players.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'll just always remember the derision HF shot at the Pens when they acquired Trevor Daley in 2016. "LOL if Daley is a regular for you, you'll never win a Cup". Two straight Cups later, and here we are.

Some players might not have the "stats" or the "analytics", but sometimes just are the right fit. Time will tell if Johnson is the right fit, but I'm not going to pre-judge too harshly after what JR's been able to do with other so-called "bad analytic" players.

Analytics as we see it can only go so far in hockey. I’m sure the clubs have more to the ones we see.

Really wide Algorithms (including things outside of hockey) are probably the way to go then using that to predict outcomes. Developing AI with this info and learn from it to break it down so it’s closer to being as effective as baseball analytics.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Analytics as we see it can only go so far in hockey. I’m sure the clubs have more to the ones we see.

Really wide Algorithms (including things outside of hockey) are probably the way to go then using that to predict outcomes. Developing AI with this info and learn from it to break it down so it’s closer to being as effective as baseball analytics.

We need to name this guy as head of our analytics staff:
814YRV0Y8ML._SY679_.jpg

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad