Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Forward Garrett Wilson

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Looks like Porter but 5 years younger...good AHL guy and a competent call up.

Either that or he is our solution to Sid's LW....

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Anyone have any idea what type of player this guy is?

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?7423

SCOUTING REPORT

Assets: A big winger, he has a power forward's profile and can be a force when on his game. Will drop the gloves if the situation warrants.

Flaws: Lacks consistency in all areas of the game. Also, he has not been able to translate his junior scoring prowess into minor-pro production.

Career Potential: Big depth winger.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Seems like a decent call up option. He has NHL playoff experience so that's always a positive thing.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I know we need depth in WBS. But why dont sign one of the kids we invited to prospect camp? I mean, at least they might have some upside.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know we need depth in WBS. But why dont sign one of the kids we invited to prospect camp? I mean, at least they might have some upside.

Most of them are already our prospects, but the ones that aren't are REAL long shots. There's no upside.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Most of them are already our prospects, but the ones that aren't are REAL long shots. There's no upside.

That and most of them are still in school and aren't going to blow their eligibility for a long-shot chance

Anyways, good signing for WBS. There'd be worse options for a call-up.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Only one or two are even elligible for the AHL. Some have to go back to juniors or haven't graduated college yet. Only Gardiner is a candidate to get an ELC.

Okay already answered.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
No new stuff on the site, but it's still up and searchable ...
Talent Analysis
Wilson plays a solid game with a balance of skill and grit. He is a rangy, two-way winger who has shown a willingness to drop the gloves when necessary. Wilson's skating speed is limited but he will dig the puck out of the corners, get to the front of the net to score the dirty goals, and leads through hard work and dedication.

Future
Wilson is in his fifth pro season in the Florida organization in 2015-16; splitting time between the Panthers and new AHL affiliate Portland. Long-term his skill set suggests a fairly low ceiling in terms of potential but with his determination and work ethic he projects as a solid, bottom-line energy player at the NHL level with some offensive elements to his game.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/garrett_wilson/#veH2bwwhGWwkZcY8.99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The baby pens are going to be well over the 6 veteran limit when it's all said and done. Porter, Kostopoulos, Wilson, Sestito, Oleksy, Erixon, Gaunce, and still another forward slot to fill. Warsofsky is also a vet by AHL standards.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The baby pens are going to be well over the 6 veteran limit when it's all said and done. Porter, Kostopoulos, Wilson, Sestito, Oleksy, Erixon, Gaunce, and still another forward slot to fill. Warsofsky is also a vet by AHL standards.

How do they define vet?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How do they define vet?

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

What happens if you are over the limit?

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Wilson has 250 regular season games between NHL and AHL so he counts as "development player".

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I assumed ECHL counted but maybe not.

Yeah, if ECHL counts then he's a veteran. But the quote above (which is from AHL's site) didn't mention ECHL, just NHL, AHL and European Elite leagues.

Also saw this tweet earlier, and I'd assume this guy knows the rule:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This is shaping up to be one of the better WB/S teams since maybe they shared affiliation with the Oilers. Great mix of vets & prospects. Then add Sprong at the end of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad