Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Filip Hallander to an ELC

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Not wasting any time!

Really stoked about him. I'm about as conservative as you can get with prospects, but he reads a lot like Hornqvist in style and that's not a bad thing at all. Sounds like his hockey IQ is very high and is a balls to the wall player. Cautiously optimistic he'll be a very solid 3C in a few years time, with the potential to be a scoring line glue guy if he puts everything together.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Does this mean next year is gonna count as him being on loan, burning a year on the ELC/counting towards professional eligibility for the next expansion draft?

Reactions: farscape1

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Awesome news.

He'll make a terrific piece in a deadline deal someday soon.

Pens don't usually trade the prospects they like and believe will become good NHL players in deals. Name the last Pens prospect that was traded that ever amounted to anything in the NHL? Go back to all the deals since Hossa when the 2nd best player in that deal ended up being Dupuis who helped this team to a Cup and was a very good forward for years. I really can't even think of one prospect that was traded during the Crosby era that ever would be a factor on our team. That is why I never mind the Pens trading prospects. I think they know which ones they covet most and don't include them in deals such as Guentzel, Rust, Murray, Maatta, Dumoulin, Sprong, and others that came up through the system and developed into very good players while trading Morrow, Harrington, Esposito, Caputi, Agostino, Hanowski, and Kapanen which have not done very much in the NHL. Many of those players ended up being busts and some still have time to prove they can be regulars like Kapanen. Although Kessel has provided elite level production over the past 3 years with the Pens while Kapanen still has not established himself as an NHL regular with only 13 career NHL points over those 3 years.

The point is the Pens have brought in much more talent than they gave away when trading prospects and picks. Even if some prospects and picks become good players someday, I will still take the sure thing that helps win at the moment. The thing I like about JR over Shero is that JR makes most trades for players in primes and have term left on contracts and Shero usually used it on rentals which I don't like nearly as much. For example in no way could the Pens ever lose the Kessel trade because they have received 2 elite level playoff point seasons that lead to 2 Cups followed by a top 10 point production season last year. I will bet Kapanen never has one season in his career close to one of those seasons. Trading for a player like Brassard is always worth the gamble for a team that has a small window to win with an elite core. The Pens best window to win was a big part of the 2 years we are going to have Brassard for the playoffs. It did not work out last season and we will get another chance this year. I don't know if the Pens will regret not trading Jarry instead of Gustavsson but by the time Gustavsson does make a big difference in the NHL it will be toward the end of the Pens elite cores time of dominance. At that time I am all for a full rebuild and don't mind tanking.

If the Pens signed Hallander this early I bet they are very high on him and I very much doubt he is going to be traded at the deadline.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pens don't usually trade the prospects they like and believe will become good NHL players in deals. Name the last Pens prospect that was traded that ever amounted to anything in the NHL? Go back to all the deals since Hossa when the 2nd best player in that deal ended up being Dupuis who helped this team to a Cup and was a very good forward for years. I really can't even think of one prospect that was traded during the Crosby era that ever would be a factor on our team. That is why I never mind the Pens trading prospects. I think they know which ones they covet most and don't include them in deals such as Guentzel, Rust, Murray, Maatta, Dumoulin, Sprong, and others that came up through the system and developed into very good players while trading Morrow, Harrington, Esposito, Caputi, Agostino, Hanowski, and Kapanen which have not done very much in the NHL. Many of those players ended up being busts and some still have time to prove they can be regulars like Kapanen. Although Kessel has provided elite level production over the past 3 years with the Pens while Kapanen still has not established himself as an NHL regular with only 13 career NHL points over those 3 years.

The point is the Pens have brought in much more talent than they gave away when trading prospects and picks. Even if some prospects and picks become good players someday, I will still take the sure thing that helps win at the moment. The thing I like about JR over Shero is that JR makes most trades for players in primes and have term left on contracts and Shero usually used it on rentals which I don't like nearly as much. For example in no way could the Pens ever lose the Kessel trade because they have received 2 elite level playoff point seasons that lead to 2 Cups followed by a top 10 point production season last year. I will bet Kapanen never has one season in his career close to one of those seasons. Trading for a player like Brassard is always worth the gamble for a team that has a small window to win with an elite core. The Pens best window to win was a big part of the 2 years we are going to have Brassard for the playoffs. It did not work out last season and we will get another chance this year. I don't know if the Pens will regret not trading Jarry instead of Gustavsson but by the time Gustavsson does make a big difference in the NHL it will be toward the end of the Pens elite cores time of dominance. At that time I am all for a full rebuild and don't mind tanking.

If the Pens signed Hallander this early I bet they are very high on him and I very much doubt he is going to be traded at the deadline.

1. Is joke.

2. It's tough to come down too hard on this team for trading futures right now considering their window. I've at least partially come around to the idea that the post Crosby/Malkin era is gonna be awful, regardless.

3. Do you think if we packaged him with a 1st rounder that we could entice Vegas to give us Reaves back?

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... to be fair to the guy, I fully admit there is a part of me that wouldn't be surprised if they did. But oh well. That's kinda where this team is. You don't really get too attached to these guys.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Fil The Thrill

JR when he talks about the 3C position in a couple years

obwh9p.jpg

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
3. Do you think if we packaged him with a 1st rounder that we could entice Vegas to give us Reaves back?
Maybe if Vegas thrown in a middle 2nd round and then we use Reaves to get another team retain 2 millions for another player at the trade deadline ... but it's all hypothetical.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Please work on brevity.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
1. Is joke.

2. It's tough to come down too hard on this team for trading futures right now considering their window. I've at least partially come around to the idea that the post Crosby/Malkin era is gonna be awful, regardless.

1. Not a joke at all, Pens have traded prospects that have so far not done much of anything over the Crosby era. Using those picks and prospects the Pens added players such as Hossa, Guerin, Kessel, Perron (turned into Hagelin), Schultz, Oleksiak, just to name a few. JR did better than Shero because he traded mostly for players with term and in primes (Kessel, Schultz, Oleksiak, Brassard, Perron/Hagelin).

2. Always would trade futures for players with term that can help during cores best Cup chances. Want full rebuild which worked to build the last two Pens Cup era's (Mario and Crosby).

3. Reaves trade was fine and we got fair value for him. We traded down 20 spots in the draft, gave up a prospect that would never play for this team and was past in the system, a 4th round pick and we got back $2 million in cap space for 2 years. I would do the same trade if a team gave us 2 years cap space for a scrub prospect, 4th round pick and move our 1st round pick down 20 spots. Cap space is king when trying to put the best team on the ice.

Back on topic, I loved the Pens first 3 picks in this draft. Great value on all 3 players.

Reactions: Giskard

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I do think GMJR sees the need of building the farm is a bigger priority as Sid and Geno move into the early 30's. Pens need to have a ready core and this draft and adding players who they see as in the future pipeline will allow for the Pens to stay in the mix down the road.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not wasting any time!

Really stoked about him. I'm about as conservative as you can get with prospects, but he reads a lot like Hornqvist in style and that's not a bad thing at all. Sounds like his hockey IQ is very high and is a balls to the wall player. Cautiously optimistic he'll be a very solid 3C in a few years time, with the potential to be a scoring line glue guy if he puts everything together.
Kasper Bjorkqvist reads like horny too, Young was quoted as saying have you seen this kid in a tshirt? In relation to his hard work office the ice including on it. That Fin is jacked and loves to my it up in front of the net.

I was stoked about him and also Hallander when he was picked. Good picks.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not to detract from it being a joke to begin with - but tell that to Gustavsson.
The thing is we have Murray and Jarry and then we had that kid too and all very close in age. So it was one of those "we shouldn't but we can" deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->