Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Cody Ceci, 1 Year $1.25M AAV

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yep. They've basically set themselves up to repeat JJ - Schultz.

It's possible but I do think coaching and contract dictated the terms more so than play did. I think Matheson will be in no matter what but I can see them scratching Ceci for Rik/Rud if needed. Or even if POJ destroys camp. I don't get the sense of "Ceci must play" like I did with JJ or Schultz. Schultz was a given to play. JJ perplexed me to no end.

Long story short, I think if they go Matheson-Ceci and it's JJ-JS 2.0, I think that gets yanked quick. I don't see there being the same length of rope as last year with regard to shitty dmen performance.

think you missed the part where I said if he plays well... it’s great.

Nah, there was a negative undertone that is evidenced by "the JJ special".

Oleksiak looked pretty damn good in the playoffs, IMO.

He did for the most part. It was nice to see. That said, I think he will want to much cheddar and there are already several that have signed that are equal but for less.

I was hoping for 3. Darn.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
How comparable are JJ and Ceci though? Like, isn't Ceci younger (26) a better skater (?) And had plus defensive metrics last year?

Does anyone have one of those advanced stats comparable things of the two players? I have no clue where people get them from lol

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I found the one jfresh uses... I am honestly wondering how we are supposed to absorb the information though. JFresh (thanks for all the stuff you put out!) Used charts comparing Ceci and Ruh. The numbers that stood out to me was QOC. CC was at 83%, Ruh was at 12%. Isn't that like, almost impossible to compare? Like, I'm trying to understand advanced metrics more. Wouldn't that skew the analytics? Or are the metrics supposed to account for that? 83-12% is basically saying you are playing against Malkin instead of ZAR lol

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Yep. They've basically set themselves up to repeat JJ - Schultz.
This is why our defense almost needs to be:

Dumolin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petterson-Cici/Ruhwedel

You need to hope Matheson finds his game on the second pair, but if Marino was able to make magic happen and actually work well with JJ I have faith that it could work with Matheson. Marino will allow Matheson to pinch up, and take the risks he usually takes with a safety net. If there is a more ideal situation in the NHL for Matheson to find his game I don't know where it is.

I think Matheson-Cici would be a turnover machine and honestly not much more effective than JJ-Schultz. It's just a bad match of defensive styles since Cici can't clear the zone to save his life and Matheson gives up turnovers like crazy.

Overall, I like our D. I think Matheson was a good get, but Cici is a meh acquisition for the #6. He won't kill us like JJ did, he isn't *that* bad.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I really hope that we have a defensive gem somewhere else in the prospect ranks, between POJ, Maniscalco, Lee, Reilly, who can force Ceci to a spot on the bench regularly...that way we can work Matheson in to the rotation on some side without fear or of having to work in two players who like to vomit all over themselves...Marino has shown to work minor miracles but not Petts...

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petts-XX

Or

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Marino
XX-Matheson or Matheson-XX

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I really hope that we have a defensive gem somewhere else in the prospect ranks, between POJ, Maniscalco, Lee, Reilly, who can force Ceci to a spot on the bench regularly...that way we can work Matheson in to the rotation on some side without fear or of having to work in two players who like to vomit all over themselves...Marino has shown to work minor miracles but not Petts...

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petts-XX

Or

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Marino
XX-Matheson or Matheson-XX

Love your optimism...but...
sullysaysno.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I remember someone posted a "sweater" lineup with each player's name on it when he was still a Senator. His name was listed as Caca Peepee for some reason. Maybe an accurate description of his play?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
QX4tnFz.png

Ceci is way better than Johnson but I haven't found a worse defenseman than Johnson (high quality teammates, O-zone bias, shielded from elite competition, still completely caved in and terrible). Ceci was less shielded than Johnson and at least had a reasonable impact on goals and shots against.

Ceci isn't some defensive magician though and he doesn't lay heavy hits or anything, he's just a replacement level #6/7 guy. He's just another chad ruhwedel basically.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He made Ron Hainsey look like a Norris Trophy candidate. They were both partnered with Morgan Rielly and what a drop off in play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad