Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Antti Niemi (1 year, $700k)

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
it was a few years ago (I'd guess when Niemi was first rumored to be on his way out of the Sharks?) but there were definitely people that wanted to move Fleury and bring in Niemi.

Wow, alright, fair enough then. That would have been a lateral move even in the best case scenario. I get wanting to replace Fleury, especially when he was putting up sub .900 save percentages in the playoffs, but Niemi has basically the same playoff track record (occasional brilliance, mostly subpar), the only difference is that he's fatter.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
it was a few years ago (I'd guess when Niemi was first rumored to be on his way out of the Sharks?) but there were definitely people that wanted to move Fleury and bring in Niemi.

In fairness -- and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the notion -- that Niemi was a better goalie than the current Niemi. He was coming off solid, if unspectacular, play for San Jose, as opposed to being among the league worst this past season for Dallas.

To be honest, I can't remember what my take was at that time. I was probably pro-Niemi more so because I was tired of Fleury, so I was more in the "anyone but Fleury" camp following those embarrassing 2012 and 2013 performances. :laugh:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Wow, alright, fair enough then. That would have been a lateral move even in the best case scenario. I get wanting to replace Fleury, especially when he was putting up sub .900 save percentages in the playoffs, but Niemi has basically the same playoff track record (occasional brilliance, mostly subpar), the only difference is that he's fatter.

Well I think there were a couple reasons there was avocation for this:

1) Niemi was a bit cheaper, allowing us to free up some cap space to sign another player
2) It would eliminate any weird split goalie situation/controversy/lockerroom issues

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
In fairness -- and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the notion -- that Niemi was a better goalie than the current Niemi. He was coming off solid, if unspectacular, play for San Jose, as opposed to being among the league worst this past season for Dallas.

To be honest, I can't remember what my take was at that time. I was probably pro-Niemi more so because I was tired of Fleury, so I was more in the "anyone but Fleury" camp following those embarrassing 2012 and 2013 performances. :laugh:

I'm sure I was pretty much neutral on it. I wouldn't have hated it, but didn't see it as something we needed to do either.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The problem in Dallas for me seemed to be a lack of coaching for goalies. Look at their goaltending history the last 5+ years and it gets clear. Niemi at a discount is a benefit to us because of his tenure in Dallas. The guy is a serviceable goalie, his confidence may suck right now but he's on the right team to boost it with the goalie coach and Murray is an amazing team mate too.

I want to know what his mask is gonna look like.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I think you guys are going to be in for a nice surprise with Niemi.

Statistically, he is actually really close to Fleury.

I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say that Niemi ends up with a better GAA / SV% than Fleury in the 2017-2018 campaign.

If we can get Fleury level production for $5M cheaper per year, that in itself is a huge victory.

Even if he has an average year, it's still a massive win to sign him at this bargain basement price.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think you guys are going to be in for a nice surprise with Niemi.

Statistically, he is actually really close to Fleury.

I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say that Niemi ends up with a better GAA / SV% than Fleury in the 2017-2018 campaign.

If we can get Fleury level production for $5M cheaper per year, that in itself is a huge victory.

Even if he has an average year, it's still a massive win to sign him at this bargain basement price.

Michelle Sturino, is that you?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Unless you can show me someone actually pining for Niemi, that seems a bit disingenuous. Many wanted to get rid of MAF and Dallas was one of the most logical trade partners, but due to their salary cap situation we would have to take one of their subpar goalies back.

Like half this board wanted to go with a Niemi/Emery tandem a few years ago.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Michelle Sturino, is that you?

I wouldn't bet money on it, but it wouldn't totally shock me.

Niemi and Fleury's numbers were pretty similar before Niemi went to Dallas, and now Niemi's going to have the benefit of Buckley and the Pens playing in front of him while MAF is playing on an expansion team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't bet money on it, but it wouldn't totally shock me.

Niemi and Fleury's numbers were pretty similar before Niemi went to Dallas, and now Niemi's going to have the benefit of Buckley and the Pens playing in front of him while MAF is playing on an expansion team.

I still think MAF has very good numbers next year. It's an expansion team with a lot of veterans and a solid coach. Previous expansion teams were filled with old aged out farts or AHL fodder trying to make a name for themselves.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013

So the backup of a cup contender who might play 20 games will have a better stat line than the 60+ game starter of a likely bottom feeder?

Real bold.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
GMJR said he expects Niemi to play 30-40 games. I don't think they want their starter playing 60 and worn out come playoff time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
GMJR said he expects Niemi to play 30-40 games. I don't think they want their starter playing 60 and worn out come playoff time.

And maybe I'm overestimating the Pens, but I think they're good enough that they'll still make the playoffs even if Niemi plays 30 or 35 games. It's not like they'll be fighting tooth and nail for every point and just scrape in the 8th seed by the skin of their teeth.

*Obviously barring catastrophic injury to all key guys.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
And maybe I'm overestimating the Pens, but I think they're good enough that they'll still make the playoffs even if Niemi plays 30 or 35 games. It's not like they'll be fighting tooth and nail for every point and just scrape in the 8th seed by the skin of their teeth.

*Obviously barring catastrophic injury to all key guys.

Oh definitely. And if by chance Niemi is awful, then it's most likely Jarry time.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I could see a lot of different possibilities with Niemi. I think it's possible he's just done and can't be relied upon to stop anything. I could also see him totally rebounding and even earning significant playing time away from Murray, like 30-35 starts.

It seems like kind of a narrow approach to just say "well he sucked recently, therefore he'll continue to suck." He's not that old for a goalie and had some pretty good success relatively recently (2 years removed from 60+ starts and a .914 save percentage on a non-playoff Sharks team). It's pretty common for goalies to be able to bounce back, Brent Johnson that comes to mind as a guy that looked completely washed up as a starter but settled into a being a really high quality backup in Washington.

I'm hopeful that Dallas was just so messy defensively that no amount of mental focus or coaching could keep either goalie dialed in, and a long off-season, a change of scenery, a better team and new goalie coach will fix what ails him.

We'll know what we have in him before October's over, I suspect.

Last edited:

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
In the history of the NHL, six Stanley Cups have been won by rookie goalies. Three of those were won by players currently on the Penguins roster.

In Niemi's case, I'm not sure that's relevant anymore, but it's certainly fun to bring it up. Especially to Caps fans.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
In the history of the NHL, six Stanley Cups have been won by rookie goalies. Three of those were won by players currently on the Penguins roster.

In Niemi's case, I'm not sure that's relevant anymore, but it's certainly fun to bring it up. Especially to Caps fans.

Wait, who's the third? Jarry? :help: I'm totally blanking here. :laugh:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
As a part time Sharks fan, I never liked Niemi. I get that he is a placeholder so Jarry isnt riding pine.

Good luck to us.

Dont really do well in FA, but this year still feels like a C- offseason. Some dudes better be NHL ready in this camp or we are gonna hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad