Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Antti Niemi (1 year, $700k)

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Why, the $50k difference? Kuemper is a low-end back-up coming off an atrocious season, he's just another variation on Jeff Zatkoff.

Dubnyk as a Wild (damn it, get a better name Minnesota): 99-54-13, 2.17, .924,
Kuemper the past 3 seasons (same basic timeframe): 28-24-10, 2.70, .907
Zatkoff as a Penguin (just for fun): 16-14-3, 2.66, .915

And yet we chose to go with this line.

DAL 37 30 12 12 0 4 880 95 3.30 785 .892 0 1,729

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Thought they would give Jarry a chance but...guess not.

I don't think that's fair. Going into the season with Jarry as the primary backup was too risky and they rightfully added a cheap backup to give us depth. Granted, Niemi isn't a good goalie, but neither was Zatkoff and yet it was nice having him around. If Jarry proves that he's ready, a 34 year old making $700k isn't going to stand in his way. You really need to have 3 NHL capable goalies at a minimum nowadays.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
This deal is fine. If Niemi really does suck you can send him to the AHL and not take an cap charge. In the meantime Jarry gets games in for the baby Penguins.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Thought they would give Jarry a chance but...guess not.

I don't think that's fair. Going into the season with Jarry as the primary backup was too risky and they rightfully added a cheap backup to give us depth. Granted, Niemi isn't a good goalie, but neither was Zatkoff and yet it was nice having him around. If Jarry proves that he's ready, a 34 year old making $700k isn't going to stand in his way. You really need to have 3 NHL capable goalies at a minimum nowadays.

my thinking is they want Jarry to play more than a backup will play. So they want him in the AHL. If Murray gets hurt, I won't be at all surprised to see Jarry come and at least split starts with Niemi.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
my thinking is they want Jarry to play more than a backup will play. So they want him in the AHL. If Murray gets hurt, I won't be at all surprised to see Jarry come and at least split starts with Niemi.

JR was quoted to say that he expects Niemi to start 30-40 games. Hopefully he was just blowing smoke up the media's ass.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005

I believe they clearly stated that this was the plan, to get Jarry another full AHL season. And when he's up for a few cups of coffee DeSmith stands ready to start in the WBS net.

Next fall Jarry likely replaces Niemi, and Gustavsson comes over to platoon with DeSmith on the Baby Pens.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
JR was quoted to say that he expects Niemi to start 30-40 games. Hopefully he was just blowing smoke up the media's ass.
Well I don't love that. Here's hoping that's more like 25-30. We have 19 back to backs, hopefully they are spaced out well enough that we don't need to give Murray too many other breaks.
I believe they clearly stated that this was the plan, to get Jarry another full AHL season. And when he's up for a few cups of coffee DeSmith stands ready to start in the WBS net.

Next fall Jarry likely replaces Niemi, and Gustavsson comes over to platoon with DeSmith on the Baby Pens.

Makes sense. The kid needs to play. And Niemi is cheap enough that we can dump him without any real consequences if we decide we really do need Jarry as our AHL backup for some reason. But it allows for plan A to see Jarry get a starter's share of games.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
You don't make your young, talented, budding goalie a back-up. That's not how development works. How anyone is upset by this signing is beyond me. Niemi will be better not having the mental wear and tear of fighting for a starting gig in Dallas. He's a number two here and knows it. Also, I've read before that he's a great locker room guy so that's a plus as well.

Edit: And unless the Pens are running away with the east, Niemi isn't going to see anything north of 25-30 games.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
I'm okay with Niemi. He's not great, but he's a backup making 700G on a one year deal. And he's backstopped a team to the Cup. If he exceeds expectations then perhaps he gets re-signed, but if not no big deal.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He's literally Zatkoff all over again at that price and term.
Buckley/Sully can probably squeeze some good goaltending out of him.
If they do? Great!
If not, waived, demoted. Done deal. No biggie.

Was important that it was only 1 yr and theres only so many vets that would accept that. Niemi was one of 'em.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm more than fine with this. Near league minimum for one year. Backup. Veteran experience.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well I don't love that. Here's hoping that's more like 25-30. We have 19 back to backs, hopefully they are spaced out well enough that we don't need to give Murray too many other breaks.

Yeah, I'm expecting around 25 or so starts for Niemi. 19 guaranteed starts (the back-to-back games), plus another half dozen starts sprinkled in when we have those stretches of 5 games in 8 days or 4 games in 7 days, etc.

So roughly 55 to 57 starts for Murray, 25 to 27 starts for Niemi. At most, Niemi should be starting about 30 games. Not more than that, though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He's literally Zatkoff all over again at that price and term.
Buckley/Sully can probably squeeze some good goaltending out of him.
If they do? Great!
If not, waived, demoted. Done deal. No biggie.

Was important that it was only 1 yr and theres only so many vets that would accept that. Niemi was one of 'em.

No he's literally not. Zatkoff is a never was and Niemi is a has been who can hopefully put it back together.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Funny how many wanted him over MAF a few years ago and now they're pissed we have him to be a back up at almost league min.

Unless you can show me someone actually pining for Niemi, that seems a bit disingenuous. Many wanted to get rid of MAF and Dallas was one of the most logical trade partners, but due to their salary cap situation we would have to take one of their subpar goalies back.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
No he's literally not. Zatkoff is a never was and Niemi is a has been who can hopefully put it back together.

I was talking more the $/term and setup.
Yes, i prefer Niemi on this deal than Zatkoff on his.

Watching some of him to refresh my memory:
Rebound control is not all that great.
Pretty good glove.
Big blockier goalie who relies on reflexes. Same size as MAF put 20pounds heavier/wider.
He knows his limitations with handling the puck so prefers not to wander too much outside of his crease.
Also watching him reminded me just how brutal the Dallas D were. So, so brutal.
I think Niemi has a real shot to put up similar numbers as he had in SJ this year.
If not, no biggie.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
its for 700K, those who are upset are the type of fair weather fans that probably turn off games when we go down 1-0, say its over if we lose two games in a series, etc.... This is a low risk, meh reward. We still have Jarry. GTF over it.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I remember when I thought he was going to be better than Crawford. Solid signing for that money tho.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Unless you can show me someone actually pining for Niemi, that seems a bit disingenuous. Many wanted to get rid of MAF and Dallas was one of the most logical trade partners, but due to their salary cap situation we would have to take one of their subpar goalies back.

it was a few years ago (I'd guess when Niemi was first rumored to be on his way out of the Sharks?) but there were definitely people that wanted to move Fleury and bring in Niemi.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
You don't make your young, talented, budding goalie a back-up. That's not how development works. How anyone is upset by this signing is beyond me. Niemi will be better not having the mental wear and tear of fighting for a starting gig in Dallas. He's a number two here and knows it. Also, I've read before that he's a great locker room guy so that's a plus as well.

Edit: And unless the Pens are running away with the east, Niemi isn't going to see anything north of 25-30 games.

That about sums it up perfectly

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
it was a few years ago (I'd guess when Niemi was first rumored to be on his way out of the Sharks?) but there were definitely people that wanted to move Fleury and bring in Niemi.

Yeah, it wasn't an uncommon sentiment here. But my point was less that people didn't have a right to be sick of MAF, but more that the panic moves people wanted to do (like MAF+), didn't need to (and didn't) happen. Besides, Niemi's a well-respected, well-liked vet, and Murray has talked about how good it was to have an experienced vet in the lockerroom with him. Plus Niemi knows this is not a permanent gig, and that this is a chance for him to redeem himself after a disastrous few years at a bad club.

I have no worries about the situation. If Niemi's really terrible, you bury him the minors and call up Jarry or trade for someone. There's no term to worry about, which might have been a sticking point with other, more successful goalies, and there's absolutely no worry he'll steal Murray's net away from him.:laugh:

Best case scenario? You rehab Niemi, he does spot duty well, steals a few games, and then we're on to Jarry or another option next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad