Recalled/Assigned: Penguins recall Beau Bennett; Re-assign Chris Conner and Harrison Ruopp

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I hear Wheeling is a pretty scary place for demoted players. Correctional programs and all that...

Beau Bennett: Scared Straight.

beyond-scared-straight-cancelled-renewed-season-three-ae.jpg

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I really don't know why Niskanen is on that list also. We talk about Jokinen being versatile and helpful for an injury replacement. So is Niskanen, he can play LD or RD, and is a decent replacement for Letang, who is also injury prone.

Tanner Glass, I agree with. But Jokinen and Niskanen help the Penguins.

Because we have a bazillion other defensemen that could fill the spot.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Yes the Pens got nearly the full $2M in LTIR cap relief for Vokoun with the moves they made. That was with Ruopp ($0.6425M) and Conner ($0.55) on the books and with practically zero cap space. Those two compined made $1.1925M and they recalled Bennett who makes $0.9M. I really can't see how there was plenty of room to sign Kobasew after those moves.

The way I see this working is if D'Agostini went on LTIR. Or Letang but nobody wants that.

Check out the chart at this link for how the cap stuff broke down. It takes into account that the Pens were going to make these exact transactions today.

http://thehockeywriters.com/pittsburgh-penguins-roster-moves-2013/

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Check out the chart at this link for how the cap stuff broke down. It takes into account that the Pens were going to make these exact transactions today.

http://thehockeywriters.com/pittsburgh-penguins-roster-moves-2013/

Thanks but I've read that article already :)

In the chart there's no Kobasew signing and he's also not counting Maatta in the Oct 1st chart. It shows Pens having about $1.1 million in cap space but that's without Maatta and Kobasew. Those two make over $1.4 million together so again, the only way I see it working is if D'Agostini was put on LTIR.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Thanks but I've read that article already :)

In the chart there's no Kobasew signing and he's also not counting Maatta in the Oct 1st chart. It shows Pens having about $1.1 million in cap space but that's without Maatta and Kobasew. Those two make over $1.4 million together so again, the only way I see it working is if D'Agostini was put on LTIR.

Maatta's cap hit is ~$894k. If he's sent down to London after 9 games, he'll only count for approx. $101k ($894k * 22 / 194) against the cap.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Maatta's cap hit is ~$894k. If he's sent down to London after 9 games, he'll only count for approx. $101k ($894k * 22 / 194) against the cap.

But in the meantime he'll be counted with his full cap hit, right? Not by what might happen in a week or so.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

But the opening day cap is the projected cap for the season. They don't project who gets sent back to juniors after nine games. Can't assume that's going to happen.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
But the opening day cap is the projected cap for the season. They don't project who gets sent back to juniors after nine games. Can't assume that's going to happen.

They've already met the opening day (Sep 30) criteria. That's why Bennett was sent to Wheeling and so on.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
They've already met the opening day (Sep 30) criteria. That's why Bennett was sent to Wheeling and so on.

And they will have to meet the salary cap figures each and every day of the season. The only way I see them currently doing so if D'Agostini or Letang is also on LTIR with Vokoun.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
And they will have to meet the salary cap figures each and every day of the season. The only way I see them currently doing so if D'Agostini or Letang is also on LTIR with Vokoun.

OK, but how does calculating the daily salary cap differ whether D'Ago or Letang is on IR or LTIR? They're already on IR as far as I know.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Chances Maatta actually stays up?

Slim. He'll go back after his 8-9 games. Doesn't mean he's not ready but more that a season with top minutes in juniors will serve him better than 8-9 mins on the 3 pairing in the NHL.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
But in the meantime he'll be counted with his full cap hit, right? Not by what might happen in a week or so.

Correct, but that they already met the opening roster criteria (from Monday) they can operate in the confines of the season.

Think of it as the opposite of a typical deadline acquisition. By staying under the cap throughout the season, you're pro-rated cap space increases and you're able to add guys like Iginla or Morrow because you're only responsible for a fraction of their cap hit. With the Pens being ~$300k (I believe) over the cap right now, they'll need to spend time under the cap to balance it out.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
OK, but how does calculating the daily salary cap differ whether D'Ago or Letang is on IR or LTIR? They're already on IR as far as I know.

Players on IR and on LTIR count against the cap but the difference is that if player goes on LTIR you can exceed the cap by the amount of his salary (it's not that simple but to put it shortly).

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

All players on the roster, regardless of being on IR or LTIR, count against the cap. The only flexibility comes from the rules allowing teams to exceed the cap by the total cap hit of players on LTIR.

The only advantage to putting a player on IR is that they no longer count against the 23-man roster limit, allowing room for a replacement to come in.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Correct, but that they already met the opening roster criteria (from Monday) they can operate in the confines of the season.

Think of it as the opposite of a typical deadline acquisition. By staying under the cap throughout the season, you're pro-rated cap space increases and you're able to add guys like Iginla or Morrow because you're only responsible for a fraction of their cap hit. With the Pens being ~$300k (I believe) over the cap right now, they'll need to spend time under the cap to balance it out.

I don't think that's how the salary cap works. I don't think you can exceed salary cap at any day (except via the LTIR relief of course). If you have some link which would prove my assumption wrong, please provide it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Players on IR and on LTIR count against the cap but the difference is that if player goes on LTIR you can exceed the cap by the amount of his salary (it's not that simple but to put it shortly).

So basically what you're saying is the only way we can afford to have Kobasew signed is if one of the two guys other than Vokoun was also placed on LTIR, because otherwise we'd be over even the Vokoun replacement money?

Capgeek really needs to start distinguishing between IR and LTIR. That would help.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
So basically what you're saying is the only way we can afford to have Kobasew signed is if one of the two guys other than Vokoun was also placed on LTIR, because otherwise we'd be over even the Vokoun replacement money?

Capgeek really needs to start distinguishing between IR and LTIR. That would help.

Yes, that's exactly what I've been trying to say multiple times :)

The problem with that for a site like Capgeek is that teams don't usually announce whether the players goes on LTIR instead of regular IR.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I don't think that's how the salary cap works. I don't think you can exceed salary cap at any day (except via the LTIR relief of course). If you have some link which would prove my assumption wrong, please provide it.

Could've sworn I read that somewhere, but I can't find the source so you're probably correct.

I see D'Agostini is on LTIR as well, which explains how they're under the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad