Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Tim Erixon (one year, two-way, 575k contract)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For those who watch WBS games, what's the deal with Erixon? What is it about his game that's lacking that keeps him from being an NHL regular?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I understand why the Pens did this as he's good depth and WB/S needs a top pair lefty. I'm not sure why Erixon wouldn't go to Europe at this point and make more money.

He's a decent #8.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Uh, yeah. I was hoping for an actual breakdown and analysis of his game, and what parts of it aren't NHL-caliber. Not just stating the obvious. :shakehead

It's hard to say because he's not that bad at any one thing. Decent size, good mobility, can move the puck, doesn't shy away from physical play. He's just not good enough at any one thing to get his foot in the door.

He'll probably be the first call-up, at least until Bengtsson or Prow find their way.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's hard to say because he's not that bad at any one thing. Decent size, good mobility, can move the puck, doesn't shy away from physical play. He's just not good enough at any one thing to get his foot in the door.

He'll probably be the first call-up, at least until Bengtsson or Prow find their way.

Thanks. Almost sounds like a guy that just needs a chance to play, and might end up being a bottom pairing guy if he gets that chance.

Maybe with expansion and six extra spots (7 if you include the extra healthy scratch teams carry) he might get a shot somewhere next year.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I'm interested in a more detailed breakdown as well. He does have 93 NHL games to his credit on 3 different teams, which all preceded him turning 24. He just turned 25 earlier this year. Still young enough to get an NHL career back on track with the right coaching and hard work.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Erixon has always had good all-around talent, he was drafted 23rd overall in 2009 for a reason. But he is mostly known for refusing to sign his ELC with Calgary. He forced them to trade him to the Rangers (where his dad had spent 10 seasons in the 1980s) but he hasn't been able to put it together since. Some say he lacks hockey sense, others say he lacks heart, most agree on Columbus ruining much of his confidence. Still only 25, he could still become a 3rd pairing jack of all trades guy similar to Lovejoy, but it would take good coaching and a more consistent effort on his part.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could see Erixon being the #7D for the Penguins next year. I don't think he has a NHL future above a depth player, but I don't think him as the 7th D would be a problem. Who knows, maybe playing under Gonchar and Martin makes him into a legit NHLer.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Decent depth move. I've always questioned his motivation after what he did to the Flames. I think that's what's keeping him from being an NHL regular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad