Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Radim Zohorna - 2 years, 1.5 million

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
This signing leaves us with a projected $1,846,795 in cap space, according to capfriendly. There are probably a couple of reasons why they don't want to give all of this to ZAR. I think they will want to bring Riikola back to the main roster and put Zohorna in the minors, to start with. They will need to make up the difference between Riikola and Zohorna's contracts in order to do this.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yay he's back.

This signing leaves us with a projected $1,846,795 in cap space, according to capfriendly. There are probably a couple of reasons why they don't want to give all of this to ZAR. I think they will want to bring Riikola back to the main roster and put Zohorna in the minors, to start with. They will need to make up the difference between Riikola and Zohorna's contracts in order to do this.

The team still has 3 4m+ LD and Friedman plays LD pretty effectively. I'm not sure why they'd seek to bring Riikola up.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
The team still has 3 4m+ LD and Friedman plays LD pretty effectively. I'm not sure why they'd seek to bring Riikola up.
For most of the past couple of seasons at least, the team's 23 man roster has been 13 forwards and 8 defensemen. Of course, you're right in that it doesn't make much cap sense to do that when 14 forwards and 7 defensemen will work better on the cap.
I guess also there's the risk of losing Riikola to waivers. This might dissuade them from trying to waive him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For most of the past couple of seasons at least, the team's 23 man roster has been 13 forwards and 8 defensemen. Of course, you're right in that it doesn't make much cap sense to do that when 14 forwards and 7 defensemen will work better on the cap.
I guess also there's the risk of losing Riikola to waivers. This might dissuade them from trying to waive him.

True about the 13/8 split, but that was a Rutherford roster setup and we don't know for sure whether Hextall wants that going forward or was working with what he was given.

I also suspect that losing Riikola to waivers wouldn't be a huge issue in that he's paid a decent sum of real money and affects the cap even in the AHL, and seemingly isn't part of the game plan with Friedman acquired and POJ coming through. Maybe that changes if Pettersson is traded with no D coming back.

Could be wrong, just see reasons to think they mightn't be too bothered about getting him back in.

Reactions: Giskard

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
At least it's a real min contract cost

Hope he gets a chance and does something worthwhile

Reactions: Crosbyfan

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If Riikola’s not on the starting roster I think he’ll be in the AHL. 1 million is too much for an extra D.

Reactions: Giskard

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I also suspect that losing Riikola to waivers wouldn't be a huge issue in that he's paid a decent sum of real money and affects the cap even in the AHL, and seemingly isn't part of the game plan with Friedman acquired and POJ coming through.

After Riikola's past 2 seasons here, I think we can safely conclude that's a correct statement.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Radim the Dream

I think his first goal was the most excited I'd been in the season because I was hyping him up all week in my group chat.

I'm excited about him but I'm happier the coaches seem excited about him.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Will shall see if Zohorna can play a full season with the wear and tear and grind on His body and start to play better defense and forecheck with His good speed and showing a nice skill of offense.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I’ll believe it when I see it. Coaches always say this type of shit.
Sullivan brought him and Drew O'Connor up unprompted amidst a discussion of what McGinn and Heinen might bring to the team. It's pretty rare for Sullivan to deviate from a canned answer in an interview, so it's notable.

Up to those guys to perform, but they're on the staff's radar.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Feel like we'll have a far better idea of whether Sully's a fan of Zohorna after the next season or two.

Also, not being funny, but this team's strategy (same with a lot of them) is to get more NHL talent than there is space for so they don't suddenly find they've got less less than they need. The very obvious result of that is that every year, guys that people believed in will simply not get opportunities. Does it mean that nobody believed in them after all? No, it just means someone was going to be unlucky and it was them. Given how involved Sully's voice seems to be in signings, it seems hard to believe we're signing a bunch of guys he doesn't believe in...

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Sully didn't want to use him much.

But it's funny to hear Burke and Hextall really liked him and brought him back. This is the same as the Riikola situation where Sullivan's not a fan but the upper management is and the coach still throws a tantrum at not using them.
Sullivan literally just brought Zohorna up unprompted in an interview and labeled him as an intriguing and exciting player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad