Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Oleksiak [3 years, $2.14m AAV]

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Just wait until they meet JMFJ.

He buys kids fireworks and booze.

I’m really curious about how this will shake out if Oleksiak is still “lulz, wat?!” in his own end. Iirc they were trying to keep him and Ruhwedel apart as the playoffs went on. It might end up being pairings like

Top 4
Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz

3rd pairing
Dumoulin/Maatta-Johnson
Dumoulin/Maatta-Oleksiak
Oleksiak/Johnson-Schultz
Johnson-Oleksiak

Throw Letang in if he isn’t a menace again. The point being that they juggle the D to manage the balance problem and limit how much time Johnson and Oleksiak would have together.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Slightly more than I would like but it's not bad by any means

I liked his game in his regular season games here but he struggled a bit in the playoffs. If Gonch can work some of his magic on him, this could be a steal of a contract. If he continues to be meh, hes a 3rd pairing guy that can be moved.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm happy with the term but not the cap hit. He was a mixed bag last season. At times (with Cole) he was very impressive, sound and steady. However, when Cole left his play dipped and in the playoffs it dipped even further. I personally think he's overpaid, but if he plays to his abilities, it might be worth it. Lot's of questions on our blueline.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
They’re betting Oleksiak will turn out right and in that case getting three years at that hit is very good. I think we need the size and physicality he brings. The rest is on him... and coaching, compatible partner etc.

I’m fine with this deal.

Reactions: Peat and billybudd

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I just see too many good things from “The Big Rig” and I’m glad we signed him to 3 years. In his short time so far here all Gonchar has really gotten to do with him is allow him to feel comfortable and we’ve seen him carry the puck through the NZ with ease as he fires up those big legs and takes gigantic strides using his reach to easily stickhandle past forecheckers. He’s calm with the puck. He has great feet and shows them off when walking across the blue line with the puck and he fires wrist shots that are f***ing hard and come with no windup or warning to the goalie. Plus, of course, he’s enormous and the further you get in the playoffs, the more you’re allowed to get away with.

I just think Oleksiak is a total gem. Still has rough edges in his own end but that wasn’t about to get cleaned up in such a short amount of time. Now that Gonchar will have him for a full year, don’t be shocked if he turns out to be every bit as good as Dumoulin.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I do not care for the analysis that Dallas just sucks at developing defensemen as the narrative of Oleksiak. Whether it is true or not, in this case it was a numbers game.

They had several that at the time were of similar level in their book for the same bottom spots and were going to lose one. In hindsight maybe they should have kept him instead of one of the ones who they did keep instead, but this was no Niksanen situation where they flat out gave up on him and were glad to see him go. If they did not have one too many and would lose one if they did nothing they would have kept him,

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I just see too many good things from “The Big Rig” and I’m glad we signed him to 3 years. In his short time so far here all Gonchar has really gotten to do with him is allow him to feel comfortable and we’ve seen him carry the puck through the NZ with ease as he fires up those big legs and takes gigantic strides using his reach to easily stickhandle past forecheckers. He’s calm with the puck. He has great feet and shows them off when walking across the blue line with the puck and he fires wrist shots that are ****ing hard and come with no windup or warning to the goalie. Plus, of course, he’s enormous and the further you get in the playoffs, the more you’re allowed to get away with.

I just think Oleksiak is a total gem. Still has rough edges in his own end but that wasn’t about to get cleaned up in such a short amount of time. Now that Gonchar will have him for a full year, don’t be shocked if he turns out to be every bit as good as Dumoulin.

If Oleksiak goes from bottom pair defender who can’t suppress shots worth dick to Brian Dumoulin, Gonchar should just be made GM and President too.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I like Oleksiak and even if he had a really up and down year to my eyes... I think this contract is fine.

I have to admit though that as expensive as the defense as a whole is -- it inspires very little confidence. At least in me. Seems like a group with a lot of really high highs and really low lows.
That’s my first instinct as well but I guess I can reconcile that in two years we’ll likely go from having the most expensive D to one of the least amongst max cap teams. Also, we undoubtably will (do already?) have the cheapest goalie tandem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->