Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Oleksiak [3 years, $2.14m AAV]

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
A quick glance says the Pens’ D costs 27 million now. Meh......
That’s more than just meh. How many other teams have more expensive blue lines? I’m willing to bet those teams have a much better overall blue line.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seriously though what’s with the three year commitment? Dude hasn’t even played full two years in the league :dunno:
a11sS0I.gif

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
A quick glance says the Pens’ D costs 27 million now. Meh......

That’s because the average age of the defense is 27.4 with the youngest being 23 so we don’t have any ELC’s. Also 4 out of the 7 had UFA status before signing two being Letang and Schultz.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Meh...

Wasn’t he playing 3-4 mins at ES in the playoffs in some games?

They must see something as a project in him because he’s not worth that money right now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The contract is meh. Not great, not terrible. I'm noticing a trend where JR seems to never get players re-signed with discounts.

I feel like if he’s doesn’t improve it’s a slight overpayment. If he improves some or the cap goes up enough it’ll be fine. If he breaks out JR is a genius.

The players shouldn’t be giving discounts, tbh. If he’s giving out fair contracts then it’s all good.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The contract is meh. Not great, not terrible. I'm noticing a trend where JR seems to never get players re-signed with discounts.
Yeah, more often than not.

He got good numbers on Sheahan and Schultz on their 1 year deals. Rust's last deal and Ruh's deal were good signings but that's because he locked them up early. Same with Simon and Sprong. All of the Cullen deals were good prices, though not all were re-signings.

The players on good multi year deals now are there because they grew into their contracts and because of cap inflation. I think it also hurts him not extending guys early. He should be doing everything in his power to lock up Jake right now.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Overpaid because we paid 2 of his UFA years. Big gamble here.

For a former first that started to play like a former first that was turning his game around. If there were issues with him in the playoffs, it was more likely the wrong pairing for him and well, the defense as a whole was not exactly coached to its best capability last playoffs and even most of the season where we were turnstiled on defense on a regular basis before and after we acquired Oleksiak.

I think at 2.1m/yr for 3yrs, he's a good cap hit and by the mid way point in the season, people will look back on this and realize it's actually a steal.

It was either a condescending gif or an overly neurotic novel so I’ll take it.
4pUYE4Y.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like if he’s doesn’t improve it’s a slight overpayment. If he improves some or the cap goes up enough it’ll be fine. If he breaks out JR is a genius.

The players shouldn’t be giving discounts, tbh. If he’s giving out fair contracts then it’s all good.

Too many fair contracts and you find yourself less deep than one of the teams with a bunch of undervalued contracts. I fully agree the players shouldn't be giving discounts but it would be nice if Rutherford could talk a few more of them into it.

That said... I remember how a lot of us were complaining about Dumo's contract last summer. And I've seen a few people say its undervalued this summer. I don't particularly like this contract at the moment but feel it could look really good next summer (as you say).

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
All Oleksiak has to do is beat the literal piss out of Wilson during the opener and he will have already fulfilled his contract for the next 3 years. Jamie could do absolutely nothing for the remainder and I wouldn't complain.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Does seem that JR's preference is to overpay a smidge to get the term. He'd rather have moveable(cheaper) pieces on the board as a trading GM than to constantly pay inflated UFA prices/terms.
Even as far back as Spaling's contract...

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
All Oleksiak has to do is beat the literal piss out of Wilson during the opener and he will have already fulfilled his contract for the next 3 years. Jamie could do absolutely nothing for the remainder and I wouldn't complain.

Problem is Wilson will just headshot one of out top D men, then refuse to fight all the while skating back to his bench with a S#$^eating grin on his face. We lose out minds and play with 5 D and get worn down over a 6 game series losing to a team we should have beaten. By game 4 I was hoping we'd dress 7 D....

I like the deal, I think he played best with Shultz last year, but he should be a 5-6. Maata with JJ might be like playing a pylon with a turnstile.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006

Problem is Wilson will just headshot one of out top D men, then refuse to fight all the while skating back to his bench with a S#$^eating grin on his face. We lose out minds and play with 5 D and get worn down over a 6 game series losing to a team we should have beaten. By game 4 I was hoping we'd dress 7 D....

I like the deal, I think he played best with Shultz last year, but he should be a 5-6. Maatta with JJ might be like playing a pylon with a turnstile.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think Horny's contract is a bargain. He's 6m anywhere else.
I mean with what Kane and JVR got, probably 7m and I am not even joking, he probably would have gotten 7m from someone.

There would have been a bigger bidding war for a guy like Hornqvist who has proven himself to not only be a consistent player, but one of the best 2ft in front of the net and a playoff warrior. JVR and Kane have done less and are earning more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I like the deal, I think he played best with Shultz last year, but he should be a 5-6. Maatta with JJ might be like playing a pylon with a turnstile.

Why should he be a 5-6?

If he continues to play up to his potential, he's very much a #4 if he continues that path, probably not this next season, but soon if his trajectory continues. At this point, yeah likely a #5, on this team though because of depth, a #6. People are so angry at Oleksiak and the cap space eaten up that they seem to forget this guy has some serious pedigree to him.

In regards to that moron Wilson, I mean vs the VGK, he tried the same crap and they pushed back but then lost control of their own identity by doing so. The best way to retaliate to a guy like Wilson is to know when he is on the ice and to avoid him and have him try his crap and have it back fire. When you go after him, you're playing into his games, it's what idiots like that want, it's what idiots like that have always wanted in the history of hockey with players of that type.

Sure, Oleksiak would must destroy that piece of crap, but Oleksiak would have to chase him and by doing so, he'd be out of position and they score, which is what they want. Wilson being out of the play is of little consequence when it's in our own end and he's effectively drawn away a player. Sure you can put Big Rig on him and he'd be more weary of running into him in the corners, which is why I want another stronger RD (my dream is Manson), but it's not likely to happen.

But lets not forget, JJ is not some pansy either, that guy is built like a tank.

Reactions: torrencemd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->