Penguins Off-Season Thread: You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll hurl

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah outside of awful usage of young players, stubbornness of the first line staying together in the playoffs 3yrs in a row with awful results. Beefing with players. Causing the whole Kessel issue.

Not really adapting and evolving the Pens system once his assistant Tocchet left. He likely is a good coach but he's good when Tocchet is his right hand man. A collaboration.

Good god the amount of nonsense.

Sullivan has quite a track record of playing young players and what exactly did he cause with Kessel? He made him suck ass all of a sudden?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Fire Sully this, and Sleepy that. Yea sure, but moaning about it 24/7 won't do anything and makes for increasingly dull discussion. So I like to speculate on things that are legitimately likely, like us resigning RT as an assistant.

What could/would Sully and Tocc do with this current roster, was it all Sid and Geno and Kessel or did Tocc really have the dog whisperer quality to him when it comes to our squad

For what it' worth, who would you replace Sully with right this instant? short of Gallant. Because wanting Sully fired is one thing, actually having a good idea about who can give us what we need is another and tbh idk who that'd be rn
Literally anyone but Hakstol or Mike Johnston. I would give Lambert the job since we can’t beat Trotz. Boudreau. Anyone not named Mike Sullivan. Go back over the last 3 years of head coaches hired, give me 80% of them over post 2017 Sully.

Sorry, but it’s unacceptable to keep him employed for another day. It’s like Lafferty, what more does Sully need to show you in the playoffs to show you we need a new coach?

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Literally anyone but Hakstol or Mike Johnston. I would give Lambert the job since we can’t beat Trotz. Boudreau. Anyone not named Mike Sullivan. Go back over the last 3 years of head coaches hired, give me 80% of them over post 2017 Sully.

Lol i'd want to give Boudreau a go if it were earlier in Sid and Geno's career, idk if they can handle his offensive systems or speedy style now. Though im going off his style in WSH, havent really watched him much elsewhere

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I definitely think Mike should. It'll be fun. For some.

There's a very small group of American coaches.

Sullivan.
Hynes
Eakins
Laviolette
Blashill
Granato
Quenneville is dual.

It's a sad sack list right there mate. I don't care that he coaches. I care that the ownership sees him coach and make the same mistakes and maybe finally get a perspective on why they need to move on.

Is that a burn on torts?

He'd make a great olympic coach =]

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No, Geno produces in the playoffs when healthy. I’m not sure I’d put Jake on an Olympic roster though.

If you're going to judge every player or coach on the basis of their playoff performance that's going to be a pretty fluid conversation year to year.

The playoffs are such a matchup and luck dependent crapshoot. They're a small sample size. The best team only wins the Cup like 20% of the time. Judging players and coaches solely on their performance there is a foolish venture.

Reactions: Factorial

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
How sweet would it be if we get MacK in UFA.

tumblr_n0hi8iWA5R1s00ervo1_250.gif

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Sullivan's a great coach, I'm sure Team USA will do well. If they don't, coaching will be low on the list of reasons why. Once again the hyenas on this board are out in force.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sullivan's a great coach, I'm sure Team USA will do well. If they don't, coaching will be low on the list of reasons why. Once again the hyenas on this board are out in force.
He was a great coach 4 years ago. I hope to god he has no say in the roster construction. American coaching is in a sad state if the current version of Mike Sullivan was the best that you can do.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If you think it' s sad now what did you think when disco was named olympic coach?
I feel identical as I did the year Bylsma was going to coach - it’s an opportunity for the world to see that Sully kind of sucks.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
didn’t Bylsma get fired like 4 months or so after he was named to the same lol? …. We can hope for the same result…

When asked why he got fired, Bylsma gets to say "I hitched my wagon to Craig Adams and Tanner Glass". Yesh. Wonder what Mike Sullivan would say?

In the ultimate slap in the face, I can't wait until Sullivan goes out and coaches like he did in 2016, switches up lines, makes in-game changes, and leads US to gold...then comes back and reverts to his old ways en route to a first-round exit.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
When asked why he got fired, Bylsma gets to say "I hitched my wagon to Craig Adams and Tanner Glass". Yesh. Wonder what Mike Sullivan would say?

In the ultimate slap in the face, I can't wait until Sullivan goes out and coaches like he did in 2016, switches up lines, makes in-game changes, and leads US to gold...then comes back and reverts to his old ways en route to a first-round exit.

I miss old sullivan...
why man, why!

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sullivan was a good coach before he got a big head. He thought it was because of him and not the players assembled that he won those 2 cups. He was obviously wrong.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sullivan was a good coach before he got a big head. He thought it was because of him and not the players assembled that he won those 2 cups. He was obviously wrong.

he was a good coach until he stopped trying things and taking risks, not only with the personnel but the strategy…I don’t know if it was from a big head or he started listening to too many voices, but it doesn’t matter..he needs to go for this team to move forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad