Speculation: Penguins looking to trade Bryan Rust?

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Personally I wouldn't do the 10th overall + Lucic @ 50% for Bryan Rust.
i would if the Pens also dumped Hunwick and got either another pick or a solid, cheap #7 d-man. they would also need a high impact draftee with that #10 pick that could make the team soon. (unlikely)

in other words this wouldn't happen anyway. but that's more of a testament to how much i don't want Lucic, ESPECIALLY for Bryan Rust.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rust would not get Domi. Rutherford offered both sheary and Rust for Domi (separately I assume- but it may have taken the package of them). Either or... both of those pieces alone need a +.

The rumored offers were either Sheary and Simon or Rust and Simon for Domi, neither of which are enough obviously, but it shows that the Penguins were interested in getting a Domi type of player for Rust.

If you’re looking for cheaper depth- this may not be the most sought after trade. Rust is a good producer and PKer in a B6 role. You’d be trying to find someone like him that makes less money.

Sobotka, Pageau, Boedker, Grabner, Frolik are similar options. (Yes I know Boedker was just traded and some are more expensive than rust right now). You can always package salary tho.

The issue is that they don't want to spend that much money on RW. You'd be looking at around $15 million combined for Kessel, Hornqvist and Rust. That's just too much to spend on RW, especially when you have Sprong coming up.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Trading Sheary doesn’t get you value. That’s why Rust is the one available.

Rust IS the value.

The guy can play up and down the lineup, in critical moments, pk, and power play time when needed. He's established chemistry with both Sid and Geno. What are you thinking bodes better than that?

He just came off a down season and will be making hardly anything at all- he will be a textbook representation of value in the lineup...

I think some people want change for the sake of change around here. Sheary absolutely gets you a bottom pair defender, and thats all we NEED at thos point, aside from the rest we're already getting.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Rust IS the value.

The guy can play up and down the lineup, in critical moments, pk, and power play time when needed. He's established chemistry with both Sid and Geno. What are you thinking bodes better than that?

He just came off a down season and will be making hardly anything at all- he will be a textbook representation of value in the lineup...

I think some people want change for the sake of change around here. Sheary absolutely gets you a bottom pair defender, and thats all we NEED at thos point, aside from the rest we're already getting.
The point isn’t trading Rust to just trade him. We are looking for a some what grindy LWer who can score goals alongside of Malkin for Rust. If we don’t get an offer we like, we don’t trade Rust.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Rust IS the value.

If we're trading rust it's not because we are looking for a better player, it's because we are looking to trade a right wing for a left wing. An ideal return for rust would pretty much be a left handed rust clone. Personally I think rust has looked good at left wing, but considering the need isn't new and he's never stuck there, sully seems to disagree.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Hopefully not. Rust has an edge to his game that Guentzel and Sheary don't. If anything he helps with the balance of the lineup. Although i like him if there's one forward to go it's Sheary.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hopefully not. Rust has an edge to his game that Guentzel and Sheary don't. If anything he helps with the balance of the lineup. Although i like him if there's one forward to go it's Sheary.
Of course that would be ideal. But we have 4 top 9 right wings and two top 9 left wings. If we can trade sheary for a better player, great. But more realistically, it's probably going to cost someone like rust to get a quality left wing. I just don't think Jr wants to pay rust what he's worth to play either on the 4th line or out of position.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
The point isn’t trading Rust to just trade him. We are looking for a some what grindy LWer who can score goals alongside of Malkin for Rust. If we don’t get an offer we like, we don’t trade Rust.

If we're trading rust it's not because we are looking for a better player, it's because we are looking to trade a right wing for a left wing. An ideal return for rust would pretty much be a left handed rust clone. Personally I think rust has looked good at left wing, but considering the need isn't new and he's never stuck there, sully seems to disagree.

Hasn't Rust played LW throughout his career? I thought the only reason he got switched to RW on the Pens is because of the flexibility it gave Sully..

I'm very skeptical getting rid of a guy like him because he won't be replaced. I cant remember the last time i saw a player just work on every line (the Sid doubters must forget a lot about 2016/playoffs) yet come at a blue chip pricetag.

He doesn't complain and he can play anywhere. What other player on the team not named Sid/Geno/Hornqvist does that? You see what happens when you put Sheary, Guentz, Hags, Kuhn, and Kessel in places they don't belong... Rust is just a guy you can utilize to replace any hole in your lineup and therefore holds more value to me than a random LW you pray has chemistry with Geno.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hasn't Rust played LW throughout his career? I thought the only reason he got switched to RW on the Pens is because of the flexibility it gave Sully..

I'm very skeptical getting rid of a guy like him because he won't be replaced. I cant remember the last time i saw a player just work on every line (the Sid doubters must forget a lot about 2016/playoffs) yet come at a blue chip pricetag.

He doesn't complain and he can play anywhere. What other player on the team not named Sid/Geno/Hornqvist does that? You see what happens when you put Sheary, Guentz, Hags, Kuhn, and Kessel in places they don't belong... Rust is just a guy you can utilize to replace any hole in your lineup and therefore holds more value to me than a random LW you pray has chemistry with Geno.
I'm not disagreeing really. But he has never stuck on the lw in Pittsburgh. I couldn't tell you why, but that's the reality.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Rust would not get Domi. Rutherford offered both sheary and Rust for Domi (separately I assume- but it may have taken the package of them). Either or... both of those pieces alone need a +.

ARI wanted Guentzel and that’s why the deal fell through. Idk Guentzels numbers away from Crosby, but his value could be lowered if he’s just a product of him. Rutherford wouldn’t do that.

Galchenyuk for Domi was the value they were looking for. Idk who has more value in Galchenyuk or Guentzel, but I assume they got the better player in Galchenyuk, but again idk really.

I can understand Chucky having more value to the Coyotes, but for the Pens there is no question at all: you keep Guentzel. He is a playoff performer who clicks like no player since Hossa on Crosby's wing. Lock him up and throw away the trade paperwork.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I really doubt this is only about trading a RW for a LW. There is more to this. Rust has enough versatility to play on the left side and would be good insurance for RW in case Sprong is not quite ready yet (which I do not think will be the case, but Sullivan might).

This is probably a combination of JR not liking the potential contract Rust is looking for plus utilizing this asset to acquire something he feels he needs.

JR can't really afford to trade away anymore picks/prospects. It has to be NHL talent this summer.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I've watched a lot of PIT, Rust does not do nearly as well on the LW as he does on the RW.

to PIT: Bjugstad
to FLA: Rust

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
McCann - Trocheck - Malgin
Hoffman - Borgstrom - Rust
Haley - MacKenzie - Sceviour
Vatrano, Mamin

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Brassard - Bjugstad - Sprong
Aston-Reese - Sheahan - Kuhnhackl
Simon

Trade Sheary for a D (And no, no interest in him for Pysyk or Petrovic. We are already bursting with inconsistent, low production, offensive bottom 6 wings)

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
I've watched a lot of PIT, Rust does not do nearly as well on the LW as he does on the RW.

Vatrano, Mamin

Simon

Trade Sheary for a D (And no, no interest in him for Pysyk or Petrovic. We are already bursting with inconsistent, low production, offensive bottom 6 wings)

That would be an interesting deal. Pretty fair value.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

Vatrano, Mamin

Simon

Why is Brassard playing LW? We paid the heavy price for a center..

Bjugstad would have made sense at the last deadline, not now. No interest in trading Rust for him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I like the concept of trading Rust for a center and playing Brassard on LW. I was originally going to say no to this, then I saw how much Bjugstad produced this year. I like this idea a lot.

Reactions: kerrabria

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Mangiapane for Rust makes so much sense for both teams. Pitt gets a versatile and feisty LW who's scored at every level looking for a chance to break out on a team that isn't entirely LWs, and CGY gets a legitimate top 9 RHS RW, something they have not had since Lee Stempniak.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
Mangiapane for Rust makes so much sense for both teams. Pitt gets a versatile and feisty LW who's scored at every level looking for a chance to break out on a team that isn't entirely LWs, and CGY gets a legitimate top 9 RHS RW, something they have not had since Lee Stempniak.

Nope. Pit wouldnt trade Rust for a question mark....no offense to Mangiapane.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I like the concept of trading Rust for a center and playing Brassard on LW. I was originally going to say no to this, then I saw how much Bjugstad produced this year. I like this idea a lot.

I wouldn't trade Rust for Bjugstad. They basically have the same offensive production, While Bjugstad will cost more cap wise. I don't see the point in trading for the same production but get more expensive.

Bjugstad's production really took off when he clicked with the top line of Barkov and Dadonov as a RW. I'm still concerned about that bad season a year ago. Was he only good at RW this year? Or can he be the player he was this year but at C? Idk a Panther fan would know more than me, how good was Bjugstad at C this year?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Josh Yohe was interviewing Rutherford and GMJR made some interesting quotes that make you think that the Penguins may be shopping Rust for a LW.

The Penguins have 5 RFAs who spent a majority of the time on the roster last year in Rust, Oleksiak, Sheahan, Simon and Kuhnhackl. Simon and Kuhnhackl aren't going to be getting any sort of raises and Oleksiak and Sheahan were mentioned as priorities to re-sign, which leaves Rust. Rust is also really the only guy looking at a significant pay raise. Considering the Penguins re-signed Hornqvist long term and still have Kessel, you can also read what JR said as he doesn't want to commit too much money to RW.

Following that, Rutherford also mentioned that he wanted to improve the "balance" of their forward group, and you can interpret that to either meaning a balance of LWers and RWers (the Penguins have a horrible imbalance right now towards RW) or skill vs grit. Both of these ideas fit with a recent rumor that the Penguins offered Rust and Simon to Arizona for Domi, since Domi is more skilled (which would be the skilled/grit balancing by trading Rust for him) and Domi plays LW (which is the RW/LW balance).

So basically, it looks like the Penguins may be looking to trade Rust for a LW because they don't want to commit too much money to RW. I don't know if they'd be targeting a skilled LWer like Domi for Rust, but I think you can definitely see the Penguins looking to make that kind of a trade.

JR also just said he has no issue with signing his RFA's which included Rust, today. Just that he still has no idea how much the cap is going up in addition to that comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->