Pre-Game Talk: Penguins @ Leafs - Saturday March 10th, 2018; 7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You want Babcock to put out Komarov/Plekanec/Leivo for a lot of minutes tonight? Cause that's how you give a 4th line too many minutes. Babcock is going to use that Kadri line to match up against either Malkin or Crosby. I'd rather he uses Leo on Kadri's wing and they play a lot more minutes than giving the 4th line more minutes.

Hoping Leivo has a good showing tonight.
At this point, Leo's advantage over Kapanen defensively is minimal. Your basically giving up all hope of that line producing anything offensively for a tiny upgrade defensively. Not to mention the lines looked like absolute trash with Leo this year, he belongs on the 4th line, plain and simple.

I understand you already drank the Babcock koolaid and you can't fathom him doing anything wrong but just try to be a little objective.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I'd move Brown and Kapanen around, Brown has played some of his best hockey this year and he was on the 4th line. Kapanen needs an extended look with offensive players. He generates chances but his lack of finish so far is starting to get alarming.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
At this point, Leo's advantage over Kapanen defensively is minimal. Your basically giving up all hope of that line producing anything offensively for a tiny upgrade defensively. Not to mention the lines looked like absolute trash with Leo this year, he belongs on the 4th line, plain and simple.

I understand you already drank the Babcock koolaid and you can't fathom him doing anything wrong but just try to be a little objective.
I'm trying to have a discussion and you bring out the Babcock koolaid gimmick. No wonder you have a Hyman avatar.

Reactions: Polaris1010

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Hate Komarov back upon the 2nd line

why can't Leivo or Kappy take Komarov's spot?

Hyman-Nylander-Marner (against Kessel line)
Marleau-Kadri-Kappy/Leivo (against Malkin line)
Komarov-Plek-Kappy/Leivo (against Crosby line)
JVR-Bozak-Brown (against their 4th line)

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

While I agree that Leo hasn't been effective enough this year, that line had amazing chemistry last season (Leo/Kadri, anyway - though Leo was on his strong side, admittedly), as well as the beginning of this year - It's not like they've never worked before, but Babcock is stubbornly forcing them together anyway.

These lines are also simply while our best player is out, and adjustments to our gameplan need to be made to try and compensate.

If Babcock had Leivo/Plekanec/Komarov playing 17 minutes 5v5 to try and shutdown one of Crosby or Malkin, people would have a conniption - At least this way, it's Kadri and Marleau getting that ES TOI, and we have a greater chance of keeping the line they're trying to shut down in the Penguins' defensive zone.

I understand you've already decided that Babcock is a terrible coach who has no idea what he's doing, but just try to be a little objective...

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Leafs lines in practice

Hyman-Nylander-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
JvR-Bozak-Brown
Leivo-Plekanec-Kapanen
Matthews

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Polak
Martin-Carrick
Thank you!! Think Matthews will be back by Wednesday? I hope Leivo gets in tomorrow

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
While I agree that Leo hasn't been effective enough this year, that line had amazing chemistry last season (Leo/Kadri, anyway - though Leo was on his strong side, admittedly), as well as the beginning of this year - It's not like they've never worked before, but Babcock is stubbornly forcing them together anyway.

These lines are also simply while our best player is out, and adjustments to our gameplan need to be made to try and compensate.

If Babcock had Leivo/Plekanec/Komarov playing 17 minutes 5v5 to try and shutdown one of Crosby or Malkin, people would have a conniption - At least this way, it's Kadri and Marleau getting that ES TOI, and we have a greater chance of keeping the line they're trying to shut down in the Penguins' defensive zone.

I understand you've already decided that Babcock is a terrible coach who has no idea what he's doing, but just try to be a little objective...

The problem is he is actually shutting down his own line. To me, it does not make sense to completely take that line off as an offensive threat just so that you can line match. It does not make sense that Babcock still thinks that Komarov is an elite defensive forward that can play anywhere in the lineup. Kadri is an offensive threat that is being essentially shut down by Komarov. The only thing I can say that he is giving Komarov and Kadri all the tough matchups to free up the kids to do their thing. Whatever, we'll see. I still don't like it. I hope we win.

Reactions: IPS and SAMCRO44

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The problem is he is actually shutting down his own line. To me, it does not make sense to completely take that line off as an offensive threat just so that you can line match. It does not make sense that Babcock still thinks that Komarov is an elite defensive forward that can play anywhere in the lineup. Kadri is an offensive threat that is being essentially shut down by Komarov. The only thing I can say that he is giving Komarov and Kadri all the tough matchups to free up the kids to do their thing. Whatever, we'll see. I still don't like it. I hope we win.
Fair enough. It was mentioned earlier that we could see Leo and Kap switch places later on in the game, depending on the score - Perhaps Babcock will make some in-game adjustments and move some bodies around to optimize the offense a little better. In the meantime, at least having Kapanen with Leivo on the 4th line allows for a chance for us to create offense with any line we may roll out.

I hope we win, too.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Leafs lines in practice

Hyman-Nylander-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
JvR-Bozak-Brown
Leivo-Plekanec-Kapanen
Matthews

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Polak
Martin-Carrick

Hopefully Marner and Nylander have a monster game. While I want him on the 4th line, I'm hoping Leo breaking his slump last game makes him more of an asset on Kadri's wing.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Hopefully Marner and Nylander have a monster game. While I want him on the 4th line, I'm hoping Leo breaking his slump last game makes him more of an asset on Kadri's wing.
Kadri no longer being snake-bitten should help as well. A lot of people seem to forget that this line is very much capable of producing, and generated plenty of scoring chances, even when they were slumping. For a long time there it felt like Kadri couldn't buy a point, despite having seemingly countless opportunities each game, and Leo was still a part of creating those opportunities.

A little bit of confidence could help them regain their early-season form.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
We should rename the "Pre Game" threads to "Post what you think the lineups should be for the next game". That's all that they are anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad