Penguins Jerseys in NYC

JayX

Mar 7, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hi guys, first post here so please be gentle!

I'm in NYC for a week from the 2nd April, and when I found out that the Pens were in town I was elated. Never thought I'd get a chance to see them play, but lady luck has been kind!

Anyway, as a UK person my knowledge of hockey jerseys is pretty minimal as well as my knowledge of knowing where to get a good deal. The only Pens jersey I have is one of the bootlegs from East Asia, and I think treating myself to a legitimate jersey before the game is the right thing to do.

Having never been to NYC (or really the States beyond a couple of hours) before, all I really know is from Googling. I see one of the big 'many branches in your area' stores has a pretty sweet Lemieux Jersey that I like the look of - http://www.modells.com/product/mari...-51-23720.do?sortby=bestSellersAscend&from=fn

It seems like a good place to start for a legitimate jersey, rather than going for a player that could be traded the second I buy it (this happened to me before in NFL!). Is that a pretty decent price or are there better places to go with a larger range and better pricing? Will there be shirts available to buy in MSG itself? I'm guessing based on the cost this will be pretty much the quality of jersey that the bootlegs are based off - good material, decent stitching etc as opposed to the screenprinted NFL jerseys they sell here for about $80 and are pretty terrible.

Also, a really silly question but best to ask - I bought my Pens tickets from StubHub in the 200 tier (212 to be precise) but there's no mention of whether this is Rangers seating, Penguins seating or if it's a case of everyone mixes in together. I know even at our tiny 2,500 cap local rink the oppositions fans are all grouped together away from the home crowd. I wouldn't want to be stepping on anyones toes by wearing a Pens jersey and going wild when Sidney sticks one into the Rangers net!

Thanks all

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
NHL arenas don't have away seating, you'll be lumped in with Rangers fans. There's nothing wrong with going with your Lemieux jersey and cheering when the Pens score, just don't go over the top. The Penguins and especially Crosby are not very popular in NY but behave yourself and stay out of trouble and you will be fine, have fun :).

Also be prepared to be the brunt of some jokes and ribbing, it's standard as a rival fan in an away building.

To get the most out of your trip I would make a quick visit to the Rangers board if I were you and find out where the best places to get a pregame or post-game drink or meal are, best parking areas, etc.

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
You can also try the NHL store in NYC. You'll find what you need there and they have usually lots of Pens gear

As for the seating it's not like Soccer in Europe, you're sitting at MSG and you have no idea who will be next to you. it's all mixed up in North America

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
It sounds like you might be better off asking someone from the Rangers forum (a moderator maybe -- someone you know you can trust), who is familiar with the sports shops in the area, and what the seating situation at MSG / can give advice on the best sections, etc.

However seating-wise one thing I can tell you it's not like soccer, if that's what you're envisioning ... where all the fans from "one team's colors" are in one part of the stadium, and the other fans are in another part. In the NHL, anyone sits anywhere pretty much. Fans are all mixed together. Whoever buys the tickets first gets the seat, regardless of who you are / where you're from. Most often you'll notice fans of the opposing team sitting behind the opposing team's bench, but in general they'll be mixed throughout in small numbers.

JayX

Mar 7, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thanks so much guys, I'll check out those links and see what I can find. Thanks for putting my mind as ease about the seating arrangements too, looking forward to the ribbing and can't wait for the game!

Much appreciated.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I've been to MSG twice (One for a Rangers-Caps playoff game) the other was Crosby's return game against the Rangers (I'm looking to go again at some point in the near future - next year probably). I had seats in the middle tier but I was at the front and new the media section somehow and had screens infront of my seat.

You get lumped in as one in regards to fans but when I went other than the odd swear words - which to be expected with beer - it was fine. No fighting or goading etc. NHL Store is the one I went to and whilst I didn't buy a Jersey it's probably best for getting one. Although, if you find a website selling them that's better you could get it delivered to your hotel. Mine did that with a team picture I bought and were fine about it.

Tellmeister

Jan 13, 2013
I'm actually flying over from Sweden just for this game.

My question is however for the game on the 5th, is there any good Penguins bar in NYC? Preferably close to MSG where I can watch the game?

Tellmeister

Jan 13, 2013
Or even better, how long would it take with bus/train to Pittsburgh from NY and what would it cost? If anyone know a site where I could check those things up?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm actually flying over from Sweden just for this game.

My question is however for the game on the 5th, is there any good Penguins bar in NYC? Preferably close to MSG where I can watch the game?

Not sure if they're a Penguins/away bar but there's one a few blocks down which was I think one of Seven or Harry Mustangs. One of them showed games on TV.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I'll be at that game with a buddy who has Rangers season tix.

Anyhow, you can definitely find a Pens jersey at the NHL Store on 6th Ave. between 46th and 47th streets. Always stocked up.

If you wear a Pens jersey to a game you'll definitely get some hell from the fans but it's usually not too bad there. They'll come up with creative things like "we should suck for a decade so we get all the #1 picks" but you just have to laugh it off, can't take it seriously.

If you're interested in having a drink before or after the game let me know.

Shrimper...Foley's is the bar near the Garden where Pens fans get together. Great sports bar with tons of memorbilia.

Seven Bar & Grill, Sally's, Harry's and Triple Crown are all great bars to watch the game. I prefer the Triple Crown, great place.

Last edited:

JayX

Mar 7, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thanks guys, great to hear from others who'll be going as well!

Brad, might have to take you up on that. I guess from your post your lot will be at Foley's then? There'll be the two of us, to my knowledge my mate knows nothing about hockey so hoping he'll have a good time out too!

Still blows my mind that after (albeit fairly casually) 15+ years of caring about this team I'll finally get to see them play.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'll be at that game with a buddy who has Rangers season tix.

Anyhow, you can definitely find a Pens jersey at the NHL Store on 6th Ave. between 46th and 47th streets. Always stocked up.

If you wear a Pens jersey to a game you'll definitely get some hell from the fans but it's usually not too bad there. They'll come up with creative things like "we should suck for a decade so we get all the #1 picks" but you just have to laugh it off, can't take it seriously.

If you're interested in having a drink before or after the game let me know.

Shrimper...Foley's is the bar near the Garden where Pens fans get together. Great sports bar with tons of memorbilia.

Seven Bar & Grill, Sally's, Harry's and Triple Crown are all great bars to watch the game. I prefer the Triple Crown, great place.

Might have to go there some time when I go back. Now that I'm the legal age to drink in America.

#2eddieshore

May 29, 2005
As others have said, the NHL store is certainly worth a look. Why not just get a plain jersey with no name or number?

It might be worth getting to the game early and seeing if you can get into the lower bowl and watch the warmup from near the glass. Its a great way to see the players up close and take some pics. Sometimes if you don't have a ticket for the lower bowl they won't let you in but if you say you are from the UK they may let you down. Not sure what the situation is at MSG.

JayX

Mar 7, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Yeah the NHL Store looks the way to go, the price at Modell's was cheaper but I found a 15% discount for NHL Store on City Guide NY which probably pushes it to NHLS's favour. Plus they'll have far more jerseys in stock I'm sure so more choice. I'm a fan of the names/numbers so prefer that to the blank shirts personally.

I like the idea of getting into the lower bowl, we'll probably eat at MSG for the game so plan to be there early to wander around.

JayX

Mar 7, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Not long until the game now, just a quick post to say thanks to everyone who helped me out over the last few weeks. Hoping to pick up my jersey on the way to the game this evening. Sucks about the loss last night and obviously a massive shame about no Sid, but the important thing is he heals soon and gets back on the ice rather than appease some foreign fan like me!

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Rangers fan here and it might be a little late, but for a jersey I would go to Cosby's first. On 31st, a few stores down from the arena. They will likely have some pre-made Pens jerseys.

As far as wearing in the arena, like others have said, don't act like an idiot and you shouldn't have a problem. You might get heckled a bit even if you are as quiet as a mouse, but unless you act like a jerk you won't have to worry about getting into a fight.

JayX

Mar 7, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Ah, didn't see your message until now... no SIM in my phone until just before the game. But I scored the Lemieux jersey so I'm super happy with that, it's a size bigger than I would've ideally gone for (it's a L and I'm a pretty big dude) but it's no bigger than other jersey's I've got. Also managed to score the last Penguins puck in the store and the 15% discount worked a treat. I have a $25 off on a $125+ purchase code somewhere on my receipt if anyone wants it, I think it's valid for a while.

The game... ha, I can take a loss but a bit sad at the lack of tension. After the first period it was just obvious that it wasn't going to go our way. But you know what, I had a really great time, it was awesome seeing what goes on during the TV breaks, the atmosphere was really good and everyone there was super nice and the ribbing was funny. One of the girls in the row in front won a prize and had her photo taken, I tried to photobomb it with the penguins logo but no idea if it came out. Had to be done though!

Anyway, hockey fans rule and everyone around us seemed good people. I wish our soccer fans could behave the same way.

(I did hear some heckling during the national anthem though. That was weird!)

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Rangers fan here and it might be a little late, but for a jersey I would go to Cosby's first. On 31st, a few stores down from the arena. They will likely have some pre-made Pens jerseys.

As far as wearing in the arena, like others have said, don't act like an idiot and you shouldn't have a problem. You might get heckled a bit even if you are as quiet as a mouse, but unless you act like a jerk you won't have to worry about getting into a fight.

Another Ranger fan here, and I second this post, except I don't think you will get heckled at all. Feel free to cheer when they score, but that should be all you do. Just don't be obnoxious and you will be fine.

Edit - I'm late.

And I'm not sure what happened during the national anthem, but the fans usually scream "Let's Go Rangers" during the pauses in the anthem. I never heard anyone being heckled during the anthem unless they were wearing a hat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad