Rumor: Penguins have shown "legit interest" in Max Domi

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Friedman reiterated Pittsburgh's interest in Domi. I still don't think that makes a lot of sense, but whatever.

How does Domi and Maatta's value compare? I was thinking something like Domi and Capobianco for Maatta and Sprong.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There's nothing really too appealing on the Pittsburgh roster, at least realistically and fitting our situation.

Kessel if the deal is right. Hagelin if he is free. Some mild interest in Schultz.

Reactions: Heldig

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There's nothing really too appealing on the Pittsburgh roster, at least realistically and fitting our situation.

Kessel if the deal is right. Hagelin if he is free. Some mild interest in Schultz.
I agree. Not a great fit.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Domi for Sprong+ is a roughly even value trade. But it's still selling low on Domi, and there's certainly no guarantee Sprong is as productive as Domi was through his first 200 games either. Bleh.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Domi for Sprong+ is a roughly even value trade. But it's still selling low on Domi, and there's certainly no guarantee Sprong is as productive as Domi was through his first 200 games either. Bleh.
I hate it. Domi will punch you in your f***ing face. Sprong is a guy who has some offensive upside. I don’t want a team full of Boedkers and Gagners. I’d love to have a team full of Domis.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If there’s a deal for Phil Kessel that actually makes a little sense and he’s actually open to coming here, I’d be all over that. How can you not love Kessel? I hate the Penguins. I hate Crosby. I hate Malkin. I love Phil Kessel.

Reactions: Fathead and hbk

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If there’s a deal for Phil Kessel that actually makes a little sense and he’s actually open to coming here, I’d be all over that. How can you not love Kessel? I hate the Penguins. I hate Crosby. I hate Malkin. I love Phil Kessel.

Kessel is a terrible fit for this organization right now, and doubly so at the expense of Domi. I don't even want to entertain the idea.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Kassel is a frustrating player to watch. It might have worked in Pitt because they have great Leaders but I don't like the chances of it working in AZ. He is a much better version of Duke, a guy who plays when he wants and floats when he doesn't with an I don't give a poop attitude. AZ is not ready for Phil right now.

Reactions: Jakey53

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Panik-Keller
Perlini-Fischer
Crouse-Sprong
Dauphin-Cousins

Domi for Sprong+ definitely helps the balance of our lineup. It also definitely makes that group young as eph. It most likely waters down the talent too though.

I think it's easier to find LWs in UFA that don't require a bidding war. Quality RWs are hard to sign.

Would I do the trade? Probably not, unless the + is really nice AND if I believed Perlini would step forward.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't want to trade Domi. He has put up good numbers on an absolutely horrible team. I'd be skeptical of any younger player that put up big numbers on Pitt transferring them to our team. Playing on a team with Crosby, Malkin and Kessel gives you huge advantages that you won't sniff here.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Do we have to add anything to Domi if we take both Kessel and Hagelin? That's 10.8 mil off the books for Pittsburgh in one shot, or about ~7 mil once they re-sign Domi.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Do we have to add anything to Domi if we take both Kessel and Hagelin? That's 10.8 mil off the books for Pittsburgh in one shot, or about ~7 mil once they re-sign Domi.
Why would you even entertain a thought like that. We are building this team with our own draft picks and I sure do not want to start trading them for over the hill / dumpster diving / high priced / over priced players. That is not the way to build a team. When the kids were young and not NHL ready, many wanted to trade the vets and play the kids, but now the kids have progressed and many just started to play in the NHL , some posters, no many posters want to trade them for vets. In the cap era you build a team thru the draft, not taking the left overs and disgruntled players from other teams.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
My only concern is that we spent time talking about the end of a country club atmosphere, but to me, the idea of plucking players from Pittsburgh somewhat continues with that logic.

Maybe Kessel or Sprong are the types of players that also carry over strong play into practice, but I want to make sure that we are looking into this for the right reasons. Having a history with a coach could be good, but could also be Ribeiro all over again.

Not a huge fan of including Domi in deals.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Gah Domi to Pitt rumors are heating up. Domi for Sprong + is actually very intetesting however.
Agree. Sprong is a very good fit in AZ, but what is the +? Sure Chakya would love Schultz, but then AZ likely needs to add something back.

That said, don't love the idea of selling Max low and don't love the idea of losing him, period.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Teams tend to kick the tires about good players after down years just as fans tend to kick the legs out from under good players after bad years. I'm not concerned about a Domi to PGH trade. If Domi is truly on the market, Chayka can find a much better fit than PGH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad