Speculation: Penguins Goaltending Future

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Do you think that Jarry and DeSmith will be our future goaltending tandem or do you see changes happening in the future?

IMO, DeSmith may be sent down to the AHL again if he continues to struggle with his inconsistent play.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol DeSmith isn't being sent back down to the AHL again.

It will be Jarry-DeSmith next year, and then DeSmith will leave as a UFA as some dumb team thinks "he'll be a starting caliber goalie for us!" like Carolina thought with Scott Darling.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Do you think that Jarry and DeSmith will be our future goaltending tandem or do you see changes happening in the future?

IMO, DeSmith may be sent down to the AHL again if he continues to struggle with his inconsistent play.

Jarry is the starter for the foreseeable future.

DeSmith is backup until one of our guys beats him out. That could be as early as next season probably not

If we get bad goaltending in the playoffs then they might look at other options for a more proven backup.

By bad goaltending I mean strictly on themselves and not the team ****ing the bed in front of them

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jarry’s been more inconsistent than DeSmith and we don’t have any viable alternatives even if DeSmith was inconsistent.

I think they’re our tandem through next season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jarry is the starter for the foreseeable future.

DeSmith is backup until one of our guys beats him out. That could be as early as next season probably not

If we get bad goaltending in the playoffs then they might look at other options for a more proven backup.

By bad goaltending I mean strictly on themselves and not the team ****ing the bed in front of them

What other guys? Our next two best goaltender are Lagace, a solid AHL journeyman who'd never really made a case for himself as an NHL guy in his previous games, and D'Orio, a 22 year old prospect whose current high point is his .911 season in WBS on 10 games this year. Larmi's not worked out, Clang and Blomqvist are D+1s who both have teams listed in Sweden and Finand for their next year on EP.

That's our goaltending org depth chart.

Unless Hextall's planning to bring in a guy, I'd say it'd be a bit more than probably not.

The only halfway-likely threat to Jarry-DeSmith being our tandem next season right now is Seattle taking DeSmith. Other than that, this is about the most fixed point on the team.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What other guys? Our next two best goaltender are Lagace, a solid AHL journeyman who'd never really made a case for himself as an NHL guy in his previous games, and D'Orio, a 22 year old prospect whose current high point is his .911 season in WBS on 10 games this year. Larmi's not worked out, Clang and Blomqvist are D+1s who both have teams listed in Sweden and Finand for their next year on EP.

That's our goaltending org depth chart.

Unless Hextall's planning to bring in a guy, I'd say it'd be a bit more than probably not.

The only halfway-likely threat to Jarry-DeSmith being our tandem next season right now is Seattle taking DeSmith. Other than that, this is about the most fixed point on the team.

You never know with goalies and I said “probably not”

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You never know with goalies and I said “probably not”

I know you did, but my point is we're at more than "probably not", we're at "as close to a done deal as you get in hockey". Even allowing for player improvement, the narratives on where these guys' careers are make it virtually impossible; if Jarry or DeSmith slump real bad, we're probably getting a goalie from outside. I guess maybe there's an injury and the guy who comes up plays out of their mind and changes the narrative? But that's about it.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Larmi seems to be done with the Pens organization. Seems like a cool dude so hopefully he works out somewhere else. Maybe with Riikola.

And Nappier, the goalie WBS signed, is intriguing. Likely another Hartzell but you never know.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

After the Pens go one and done and the goaltending implodes, Hextall will try to acquire one of Vegas' goalies . . .

200.gif

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm not too concerned about the goaltending situation. Jarry is the starter until proved otherwise. An All-Star appearance in his rookie year, and a solid showing this one. The playoffs is a test yet to be taken, but I have faith he will be as good as the D in front of him allows him to be. DeSmith has been everything you want in a backup and more. He will stay as long as we can afford him.

Let's revisit this after the close of the Crosby-Malkin-Letang era. These two should be able to carry us through the end of that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Jarry will probably be starter until his contract is up and then they will re-examine. Be curious to see how the tandem does in the playoffs.

If they implode, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me to see Hextall make it a summer priority. We've discussed his likely moves will be to shed salary (Zucker, Petts). Given what will be left, he could make lateral moves up front and look to upgrade in net.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If they implode, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me to see Hextall make it a summer priority. We've discussed his likely moves will be to shed salary (Zucker, Petts). Given what will be left, he could make lateral moves up front and look to upgrade in net.

Jarry doesn't seem like the type to implode. Then again. Neither did Murray until he became the worst goaltender in the league lol.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Lol DeSmith isn't being sent back down to the AHL again.

It will be Jarry-DeSmith next year, and then DeSmith will leave as a UFA as some dumb team thinks "he'll be a starting caliber goalie for us!" like Carolina thought with Scott Darling.

I agree. DeSmith is a nice backup. But there is no way I trust him starting a lions share of starts. He isn't built for it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Jarry doesn't seem like the type to implode. Then again. Neither did Murray until he became the worst goaltender in the league lol.

And in this case, there's no built in allegiance from the coach or GM. If he implodes, gotta think trying to find a goaltending upgrade becomes Hextall's summer priority.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Obviously a playoff implosion would change the complexion of things but it'd be real difficult to improve on our goaltending bang for buck from where I'm sitting without spending serious assets/cap. We know the proven guys rarely come on the market (and sometimes lose it when moving i.e. Bobrovsky) so you're probably going for another gamble. The most attractive option is offering Seattle a good price to take Jake Allen (or likewise) and then flip him to us, which doesn't get you a bad goalie and doesn't get you a great one i.e. where we are. I think it'd have to be one hell of a meltdown to look at that and the likelihood is that if that meltdown comes, it probably starts in front of them - I think it more likely they extensively remodel the defence in such a scenario.

Dunno about that. Jarry's got a habit of having really bad games when he's having a bad game imo. Rare to see him stack the f*** up games, but...

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
There seems to be a very clear connection to Murray's decline, though. He hasn't been the same since the unfortunate death of his father.

Reactions: farscape1

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Obviously a playoff implosion would change the complexion of things but it'd be real difficult to improve on our goaltending bang for buck from where I'm sitting without spending serious assets/cap. We know the proven guys rarely come on the market (and sometimes lose it when moving i.e. Bobrovsky) so you're probably going for another gamble. The most attractive option is offering Seattle a good price to take Jake Allen (or likewise) and then flip him to us, which doesn't get you a bad goalie and doesn't get you a great one i.e. where we are. I think it'd have to be one hell of a meltdown to look at that and the likelihood is that if that meltdown comes, it probably starts in front of them - I think it more likely they extensively remodel the defence in such a scenario.

Dunno about that. Jarry's got a habit of having really bad games when he's having a bad game imo. Rare to see him stack the f*** up games, but...

You know, I was half joking about it, but Vegas for example does have a hell of a lot of money tied up in 2 goalies and may, depending upon how its season ends, look to reallocate cap dollars to improving elsewhere.

Anyway, I wasn't saying there would be an answer this summer, just that Hextall could prioritize TRYING to find an upgrade in net if Jarry implodes in the playoffs.

Then again, I suspect that will hardly be the only item on his plate in that scenario . . . :popcorn:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess I could see Jarry for Lehner if things go sideways - we get a notionally better goaltender, they get some cap relief (and keep insurance in case it's MAF's last year), and the Shero succession masterplan comes to fruition... just in another city.

But I think it'd have to be a real bad one. Really bad. Hextall's sounded pretty high on our goaltenders recently.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Tbf, given up 4 or more goals in 3 of his last 5 starts I think. Not a huge deal overall but no question he ended the season weak like baby.

Jarry had 2 such games in his last 5, and he's a starter making 3.5 mil per.

I dunno. Doesn't seem like an issue to me.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jarry had 2 such games in his last 5, and he's a starter making 3.5 mil per.

I dunno. Doesn't seem like an issue to me.

It's not, and I can't see him getting sent down (or making it through waivers if he did), but right now, we're seeing the inconsistent side of him. Or have seen. That bit is fair.

Eh. Still worth that reaction for the idea of him getting sent down tbf.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I think we’ll see a Jarry/Fleury combo at some point and then a Jarry/Clang combo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad