Rumor: Penguins getting calls on Rust, want to clear space to sign Chris Tanev

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Id be fine giving Tanev the rest of Johnsons contract 3 yrs 3.5 but the drop off the last couple years is concerning. But in general if the plan is move Johnson and get Tanev i can get behind it.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
This would be a double whammy. Sending an effective player (on a reasonable contract) packing to bring in a guy who’s damaged goods.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
There's no better way to feed the wolves than to throw out a bunch of ideas... but here's a few ideas/starting points for Rust-based trades...

Rust + mid round pick
for
Palmieri + Wood

Rust + Jack Johnson
for
serviceable 3rd line RW

Rust + Murray + something
for
Montour + Reinhart

Rust + Pettersson
for
Arvidsson/Bonino + Ekholm

Rust + Murray
for
Timmins + Burakovsky
Puljujarvi + Nurse
Kassian + Larsson

Rust
for
Domi or Danault

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Rust + Murray
for
Timmins + Burakovsky
Puljujarvi + Nurse
Kassian + Larsson

I'm usually on the "trust the madness" side when deals are made, but if Jim Rutherford trades Bryant Rust and Matt Murray for Zack Kassian and Adam Larsson, I will burn down every PF Changs in the 100 mile radius to spite the old fool.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Rust + 76 for Jost + 24 (saves 2.5m)

Hornqvist for Wood (saves 3m)

Murray for the highest draft pick we can get

Sign Tanev 4 x 4.5

Guentzel-Sid-Kapanen
Poulin-Malkin-Zucker
Jost-Blueger-Tanev
Wood-???-Aston Reese

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Tanev

Jarry

That bottom 6 looks a lot like Tampa’s right now. Hard to play against, skate fast, energy lines.

You forgot McCann so the bottom 6 would be something like

Jost - McCann - Tanev
Wood - Blueger - ZAR

But it also sounds like JR wants Poulin in there somewhere, so...

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
You forgot McCann so the bottom 6 would be something like

Jost - McCann - Tanev
Wood - Blueger - ZAR

But it also sounds like JR wants Poulin in there somewhere, so...
You’re right I forgot he signed. That’s a great looking bottom 6 I would be very pleased with that and I think it would give teams problems with our forecheck

We’ll see how Poulin does next camp and pre-season, but the way he looks right now I’m thinking he can slide into that top 6 role. Especially given the talent of our centers

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Is the Matheson rumoured trade happening because Tanev told Penguins he's sticking to Canucks?

I wonder....

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Is the Matheson rumoured trade happening because Tanev told Penguins he's sticking to Canucks?

I wonder....
Matheson is a LHD, Tanev RHD. Maybe this is penguins way to clear out more cap space to make a run at tanev? There’s a lot of cap tied up in D though.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
I'm usually on the "trust the madness" side when deals are made, but if Jim Rutherford trades Bryant Rust and Matt Murray for Zack Kassian and Adam Larsson, I will burn down every PF Changs in the 100 mile radius to spite the old fool.

lol yeah that's pretty bad... that came out of being afraid to get crucified for making all suggestions in favor of pens

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What do you want for Rust from Vancouver??

Virtanen+Sutter 50% retained+3rd?

Lolz, no. What do I want from Vancouver? Boeser.

More realistically, if it's Virtanen as the main piece, I want more...a lot more. Add Guadette and I think we can have a workable deal.

Reactions: ownal

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I guess next season Pens 2nd pairing will be Matheson-Tanev assuming the Hornqvist trade happens and Tanev signs here to be with his bro.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
So funny, Toronto having interest now, after he could have probably been had for as low as a 2nd rounder when he had some injury concerns.
I can never keep track of whether Kyper is to be believed or not. Changes week to week.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Lolz, no. What do I want from Vancouver? Boeser.

More realistically, if it's Virtanen as the main piece, I want more...a lot more. Add Guadette and I think we can have a workable deal.
Boeser is not happening lol.
Virtanen and Gaudette is a steep price to pay for Rust. Maybe throw in a replacement center and we’d have a deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Great response. Rust is a very valuable winger but how much of that success have to do with the center he plays with...

The offer was bad so I gave a comparable bad response.

I would say Virtanen and Gaudette for Rust makes me think, but the problem is I'm really not sold on Gaudette as a center.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
The offer was bad so I gave a comparable bad response.

I would say Virtanen and Gaudette for Rust makes me think, but the problem is I'm really not sold on Gaudette as a center.
Just putting Lol is just unnecessary and adds zero substance to the conversation other than bickering. And Gaudette played better at center than he did at RW this year, if he stays in Vancouver he’ll be the 3C for sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad