Rumor: Penguins getting calls on Rust, want to clear space to sign Chris Tanev

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't see how trading Rust is gonna be a good idea

Its not, this dude does everything. Scores goals, Elite PKing, elite forechecker, very good defensively, he can play in litterall ANY situation, on any line. And most of all, he and Malkin are great together

I don't get trading him at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I feel like Pens fans are going to have a rough next few years with Ruthorford at the helm

Eh, Rutherford seems to mix genius with madness. Lately it's been more madness, but his moves also directly lead to the Pens winning back to back Cups after years of early failures and disappointing playoff performances under Shero.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Pittsburgh are moving Rust would Jost+ be of interest as a return? Not sure what the + would be but probably fairly substantial.

Alternatively Compher would be available, but he has the same $3.5m caphit as Rust so probably doesn't make sense if the idea is to find capspace for Tanev. Jost will probably come in at around half of Rust's caphit on his next contract.

I thought Jost sucks? reading threads after Avs were eliminated. I mean JR wants to get younger and faster but I know shit about Jost, just that he's a young guy.
Would Miles Wood for Hornqvist be a fair trade? (2.75m each of the next 2 years).

Call me crazy but I'd do it. Younger and faster which is what JR wants.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Trading Rust to clear cap, and then signing Chris Tanev. Neither makes any sense. Rust is on a great contract, and produces way above cost. Tanev will get a big offer from Buffalo to help Dahlin develop.

Buffalo has zero need for Tanev - Tanev is 30yo & they're already loaded on the right side.

Do not be surprised at all if they're in on Rust though.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
What we're hearing as Penguins trade talks heat up

For anyone who doesn't know, the Penguins do have Brandon Tanev already, who is the brother of Chris. I don't know that many players have made a big deal out of playing with their siblings before (I know Jordan Staal did), but that may be an advantage the Penguins have.
I do not understand Jim Rutherford. Is he suffering from dementia with these recent moves and rumours?
Chris Tanev was a very good and reliable defensive defenceman. Now, he resembles a broken down war house on his last legs. Your gm is going to clear space to give him a raise and term? Is he completely nuts?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Pens could have more cap space, one of their better prospects, and their first round pick had they not made that awful Kapanen trade.

Reactions: Lustaf

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
I dont get the tanev rumours.
Doesnt the right side already have letang and marino? Why would u bring tanev in to play in the 3rd pairing? Are pens trading letang? Your insight would be appreciated.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I dont get the tanev rumours.
Doesnt the right side already have letang and marino? Why would u bring tanev in to play in the 3rd pairing? Are pens trading letang? Your insight would be appreciated.
The pens are likely not trading Letang, and definitely won’t trade Marino. The interest in Tanev at what $ he would cost in free agency is peculiar.. but our 3 pair was crap last season and bringing in a talented veteran like Tanev would allow us to bring up Oliver-Joseph and scratch Jack Johnson.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Tanev

Looks pretty good

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The only way I'd trade Rust is if you're getting back an ELC or cheap top-9 forward with top-6 potential for him. If you can't get someone like Beauvillier back for Rust, don't trade Rust. I have absolutely no clue what similar players to Beauvillier that teams can offer for Rust, but that's the centerpiece I'd want in a Rust trade. If the Penguins wouldn't be able to get that, I wouldn't move him.
Well then you are in luck because it would take every drop of alcohol in the known universe for Lou to even consider Beauvillier for Rust plus a first, let alone just Rust. You get to keep Rust and sadly we have to find a way to live with lowly top 9, possible top 6 Beau.

Wow. Just wow.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
The pens are likely not trading Letang, and definitely won’t trade Marino. The interest in Tanev at what $ he would cost in free agency is peculiar.. but our 3 pair was crap last season and bringing in a talented veteran like Tanev would allow us to bring up Oliver-Joseph and scratch Jack Johnson.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Tanev

Looks pretty good

Ok sounds good. But the numbers i'm hearing are what you pay a top 4 dman and not a 3rd pairing guy.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That would be a terrible decision by the Penguins to offload a very good contract and fit in Rust for an oft injured Chris Tanev who is slowing down. And this is coming from a Canucks fan who likes Tanev and wants him back. But this move would make the Pens worse

With Jim Rutherford, there's a non zero percent chance he'd move Rust for the cap space to create a 8M per year Jack Johnson - Chris Tanev pairing . :(

(for outsiders, I'm writing as a jaded Pens fan, not some troll :D )

Reactions: pengineer

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah the Athletic article said that Tanev wants a raise from $4.45 million and the Penguins were prepared to give him the same term as Brandon but under $5 million. I think it would be something like 5 years at $4.75 million AAV.

No GM in hockey would be so dumb as to give a Tanev top money for that kind of term. :sarcasm:

(for outsiders, I'm writing as a jaded Pens fan, not some troll :D )

Reactions: pengineer

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe 2 years was a bit harsh, but my point was that Pittsburgh need to go all-in the next few years while Crosby and Malkin are still capable of producing at PPG level. That's why Rutherford paid a steep price for Zucker and Kapanen.

The Penguins are thinking in terms of a 2 year window, but not necessarily due to Crosby's and Malkin's ages. After two years, Malkin's contract is up, Letang's contract is up, Rust (if in Pittsbugh) is up, Kapanen's current deal is up, and what I assume would be a 2 year bridge to free agency for Jarry will be up.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

lawrence

May 19, 2012
yes please do it, screw things up. Time for courtship hasn't even started yet Jim (rutherford) and you have no right to contact Tanevs Agency despite the Canucks haven't made him an offer yet, doesn't mean they don't plan to.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Penguins are thinking in terms of a 2 year window, but not necessarily due to Crosby's and Malkin's ages. After two years, Malkin's contract is up, Letang's contract is up, Rust (if in Pittsbugh) is up, Kapanen's current deal is up, and what I assume would be a 2 year bridge to free agency for Jarry will be up.

You sure JR doesn't see it as a 3 year window since that's when his best defenseman's contract is up? ;)

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well then you are in luck because it would take every drop of alcohol in the known universe for Lou to even consider Beauvillier for Rust plus a first, let alone just Rust. You get to keep Rust and sadly we have to find a way to live with lowly top 9, possible top 6 Beau.

Wow. Just wow.

Lol you mad bro :laugh:

Don't know who pissed in your corn flakes

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Rust + 76 for Jost + 24 (saves 2.5m)

Hornqvist for Wood (saves 3m)

Murray for the highest draft pick we can get

Sign Tanev 4 x 4.5

Guentzel-Sid-Kapanen
Poulin-Malkin-Zucker
Jost-Blueger-Tanev
Wood-???-Aston Reese

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Tanev

Jarry

That bottom 6 looks a lot like Tampa’s right now. Hard to play against, skate fast, energy lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad