Penguins game road 7 win in the 2009 SCF reversed a pattern in all major sports

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I always wondered about that. It would be unusual indeed for them to be screaming at the ref for 30 seconds while he was ignoring them. Not sure how either the bench or the ref could miss it for that long.

From what I recall, the reason people were really upset about there being no call for too many men was because the CBC broadcast actually caught the linesman telling the Pens defensmean to get off the ice because there were too many men - that's when the D jumped back onto the bench. This was after the 20, or whatever, seconds of there being too many men. It was very strange. It's an automatic penalty at that point, not a warning or notification.

Blaming the Red Wings bench is just odd if the Lineseman caught it but didn't act.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
1. Pens weren't called for a 27 Second (Too Many Men on the Ice) Penalty iirc, or maybe it was 17 seconds. This happened in one of the other games, I wanna say game 6, but seemed to turn the tide.

2. Along with No automatic suspension (NHL rules) for Malkin punching Datysuk in the back of the head (after the final whistle).

3. The cheap headshot to Franzen (who was coming back from concussion #?) by Guerin or was it Gary Roberts that went uncalled, either way

4. + all the Uncalled cross-checks to Zetterberg's (bad back) from Crysby (Gary's golden boy/Media darling/chosen next one) helped the Pens "win" in '09. It was a shame & a sham. To top it off, Crysby didn't even shake hands afterwards, he was too busy in a fit of childish self-adoration gloating amidst the media lap dogs. Total joke of a SC final.

Your memory is failing you a bit here.

Malkin went after Zetterberg, not Datsyuk, who wasn't even playing in the series yet.

Roberts hit Franzen in the head in '08, not '09. It wasn't anything crazy but everyone knew Franzen was coming back from a concussion so it seemed a lot worse than it was at the time.

Let the Crosby handshake thing go. It was Pierre McQuire's fault IMO, because he jumped on the ice and interviewed Crosby after the final buzzer taking his attention away from the handshake line. I never thought there was any malice on Crosby's part. Is it hard to shake hands when your team just won? I think Draper was the only guy to complain about it on the Red Wings side anyways.

Hal Gill got away with murder on Holmstrom later in that series. Seems like he could do whatever he wanted and the refs weren't going to call it. That was one of my beefs at the time because the refs weren't generally letting that stuff go anymore.

The schedule change was a complete farce but I've already gone into depth on that one.

Reactions: sanscosm

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
As a Red Wings fan, the only thing I really recall getting overly salty about was the league's quick decision not to suspend Eugene for his instigator penalty that came with just a few seconds left in game 2.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
That was such an emotional series as a Penguins fan.

The Penguins had played two strong games, but somehow found themselves down 2-0. You just thought, here we go again. That Detroit squad that just knew how to win and maybe the Penguins still weren't ready.

Then coming back after the disastrous game 5 to win game 6 and 7, it all felt so unlikely. Right up until MAF stopped Lidstrom at the end of game 7, it felt like it was still going to come crashing down.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Let the Crosby handshake thing go. It was Pierre McQuire's fault IMO, because he jumped on the ice and interviewed Crosby after the final buzzer taking his attention away from the handshake line. I never thought there was any malice on Crosby's part. Is it hard to shake hands when your team just won? I think Draper was the only guy to complain about it on the Red Wings side anyways.

Looking back, the fallout from that whole handshake thing was kind of funny to watch with the extreme takes on both sides of the argument.

You'd go into forums/etc. and find small groups of Red Wings fans, Crosby haters and "Gary helped the Pens" conspiracy theorists acting like Crosby climbed up the rafters at the Joe and ripped down Gordie Howe's banner so the Pens could use it as toilet paper in the visiting locker room while they celebrated with the Cup. At the time, I wondered how some of the more triggered Red Wings fans had reacted when Chris Chelios intentionally skipped the handshake line after losing to the Ducks 2 years earlier.... On the other side, you had people completely absolving Crosby of any sort of criticism by saying stuff like "C'mon guys, it's his first cup and he's young, he just got too excited! Don't you remember when you were a kid and you got some Lego's for your birthday and you didn't say thank you right away because you were so excited? If anything, it's Lidstrom's fault for not waiting long enough!"

Aside from the ridiculous Finals scheduling, officiating complaints and rescinded Malkin suspension, the last thing I remember adding to the "Gary helped the Pens" conspiracy was the Cup presentation. After the Wings won in 2008, Bettman started the Cup presentation with a really enthusiastic congratulations for the Pens on a great season in front of their home crowd. In 2009 however, IIRC, he didn't even mention the Red Wings despite the Pens winning the Cup at JLA. I wasn't really bothered by it, but I remember it being a big deal with some Red Wings fans and Alex Jones like Bettman/Pens conspiracy nuts.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Looking back, the fallout from that whole handshake thing was kind of funny to watch with the extreme takes on both sides of the argument.

You'd go into forums/etc. and find small groups of Red Wings fans, Crosby haters and "Gary helped the Pens" conspiracy theorists acting like Crosby climbed up the rafters at the Joe and ripped down Gordie Howe's banner so the Pens could use it as toilet paper in the visiting locker room while they celebrated with the Cup. At the time, I wondered how some of the more triggered Red Wings fans had reacted when Chris Chelios intentionally skipped the handshake line after losing to the Ducks 2 years earlier.... On the other side, you had people completely absolving Crosby of any sort of criticism by saying stuff like "C'mon guys, it's his first cup and he's young, he just got too excited! Don't you remember when you were a kid and you got some Lego's for your birthday and you didn't say thank you right away because you were so excited? If anything, it's Lidstrom's fault for not waiting long enough!"

Aside from the ridiculous Finals scheduling, officiating complaints and rescinded Malkin suspension, the last thing I remember adding to the "Gary helped the Pens" conspiracy was the Cup presentation. After the Wings won in 2008, Bettman started the Cup presentation with a really enthusiastic congratulations for the Pens on a great season in front of their home crowd. In 2009 however, IIRC, he didn't even mention the Red Wings despite the Pens winning the Cup at JLA. I wasn't really bothered by it, but I remember it being a big deal with some Red Wings fans and Alex Jones like Bettman/Pens conspiracy nuts.

2006-2009 Detroit Red Wings threads are always a fun time. I remember having to analyze the video of the interference penalty at the end of Game 5 of the 2007 Western Conference Finals as though it was the Kennedy assassination.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
2006-2009 Detroit Red Wings threads are always a fun time. I remember having to analyze the video of the interference penalty at the end of Game 5 of the 2007 Western Conference Finals as though it was the Kennedy assassination.

LOL. I still feel bad for the roasting Lilja (or "the Pain Train" which IIRC was one of his nicknames on LGW) got for that freebie he gave Selanne shortly after that...

Reactions: quoipourquoi

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The turning point of the series had to be Staal's shorthanded goal in game 4, where he undressed Rafalski.

If my memory is correct, the Wings were up by one goal in that game and either on a regular powerplay or a two-man advantage (don't remember which). Staal ties the game and the Wings implode in that period after giving up the lead. They had a chance to go up 3-1 in the series for the second consecutive Finals, but blew it.

They were always going to run out of gas if it was a long series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad