Penguins game road 7 win in the 2009 SCF reversed a pattern in all major sports

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I was just thinking how in this decade, it's been common in the NHL as well as the NBA and MLB for the road team to win a 7th game of the finals. When I first started watching sports in the 90's, this was unheard of. I found the comparison for the 10's to the 90's and 00's interesting.

For those only interested in the NHL, here's the game 7's those last 3 decades. Home winners in bold.

1994: Rangers beat Canucks
2001: Avalanche beat Devils
2003: Devils beat Ducks
2004: Lightning beat Flames
2006: Hurricanes beat Oilers

2009: Penguins beat Red Wings
2011: Bruins beat Canucks
2019: Blues beat Bruins

As you can see, the home team won the first 5, but the Penguins in 2009 started the current 3 game winning streak the road team has in SCF game 7's. Funny how the latter 2 were the Bruins winning on the road then losing at home.

But it wasn't only the NHL that started the pattern of road teams having success in finals game 7's following the Penguins win that year. Teams in the NBA and MLB started having better success in road game 7's after that too. Here's the comparison of the same time period with the other two leagues added in, before and after the 2009 SCF, with home winners again in bold.

Before
1991 World Series: Twins beat Braves
1994 Stanley Cup Finals: Rangers beat Canucks
1994 NBA Finals: Rockets beat Knicks
1997 WS: Marlins beat Indians
2001 SCF: Avalanche defeat Devils
2oo1 WS: Diamondbacks defeat Yankees
2002 WS: Angels defeat Giants
2003 SCF: Devils defeat Ducks
2004 SCF: Lightning defeat Flames
2005 NBA Finals: Spurs defeat Pistons
2006 SCF: Hurricanes defeat Oilers

So far, the home team is 11-0. But the pattern is about to reverse starting with the 2009 SCF.

2009 SCF: Penguins defeat Red Wings
2010 NBA Finals: Lakers defeat Celtics
2011 SCF: Bruins defeat Penguins
2011 WS: Cardinals defeat Rangers
2013 NBA Finals: Heat defeat Spurs

2014 WS: Giants defeat Royals
2016 NBA Finals: Cavaliers defeat Warriors
2016 WS: Cubs defeat Indians
2017 WS: Astros defeat Dodgers
2019 SCF: Blues defeat Bruins

Starting with the 2009 SCF, the road team now has a 7-3 edge, including a current 5 game winning streak. It was as if the Pens winning that game in the final year of the 2000's, after not having a road winner in any sport in the 90's and 00's up to that point, was an ominous sign of things to come for this decade. All in all I found this pattern fascinating, even being purely coincidental.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah, what a reversal! I remember when the Pens were down 2-0 and I thought, well, they probably need to win 4 straight because no one is going to blow a Game 7 opportunity at home in the Cup final. I just used history as an example. 1971 was the last time this happened. Before that, 1945. 1987, 1994, 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2006 were all the home teams. You always figured the home team would play it safe and not screw it up. So basically I thought the Pens needed to win 4 in a row or else.

But since then, yeah, all bets are off. In fact a team hasn't won Game 7 of the Cup final since 2006.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not that one needs motiviation going into the Finals or a game 7, but the Penguins definitely had extra material to get them pumped up, probably moreso than your average Finals team. Losing to that same team the year before, the whole Hossa situation, the desire to prove that core was truly the real deal.... not to mention Mario texting the entire team the morning of game 7.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
One crucial thing I forgot to mention is though the Penguins were the underdogs this series, they weren't a Cinderella team. Of the 5 previous game 7 SCF road teams who all lost, 4 of them were Cinderella teams, the Devils being the exception. The Bruins also weren't one 2 years later, but the Blues this past season were at last a Cinderella team that won a road SCF game 7.

Another baffling thing about the Pens winning game 7 was the home team had won every game this series up to that point. In the Wings case, they had won all 3 of their home games by more than a goal, including 5-0 in game 5. In the previous 5 SCF that went the distance, the road teams ironically had more success in the first 6 games, with there being 4 road wins in 3 of the series ('94, '01 and '04), as well as 3 road wins in '06 but none in '03. And while I know the home team also won the first 6 games in '11, the Canucks won all there's by a goal, while the Bruins all came by at least 3 goals, so that reduced most of the surprise when the Bruins won game 7 4-0 in Vancouver.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
As far as all major sports I still would not bet against the home NBA team in a game 7.

Otherwise it has changed in hockey. I haven't crunched any numbers but I remember when a road win could really set a lower seed team in a position to win a series. Last decade or so it seems as though the actual location of the game is not the factor it was for the most part. With the rinks being cookie cutter, advanced scouting, and the fact that there is no where near the gaps on team performance that did exist years ago I figure it goes to reason.

That Boston/Vancouver was a strange one, in that the first 6 games all had a similar outcome, score and location. Then game 7, I don't really remember any series like that one.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
1. Pens weren't called for a 27 Second (Too Many Men on the Ice) Penalty iirc, or maybe it was 17 seconds. This happened in one of the other games, I wanna say game 6, but seemed to turn the tide.

2. Along with No automatic suspension (NHL rules) for Malkin punching Datysuk in the back of the head (after the final whistle).

3. The cheap headshot to Franzen (who was coming back from concussion #?) by Guerin or was it Gary Roberts that went uncalled, either way

4. + all the Uncalled cross-checks to Zetterberg's (bad back) from Crysby (Gary's golden boy/Media darling/chosen next one) helped the Pens "win" in '09. It was a shame & a sham. To top it off, Crysby didn't even shake hands afterwards, he was too busy in a fit of childish self-adoration gloating amidst the media lap dogs. Total joke of a SC final.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
1. Pens weren't called for a 27 Second (Too Many Men on the Ice) Penalty iirc, or maybe it was 17 seconds. This happened in one of the other games, I wanna say game 6, but seemed to turn the tide.

2. Along with No automatic suspension (NHL rules) for Malkin punching Datysuk in the back of the head (after the final whistle).

3. The cheap headshot to Franzen (who was coming back from concussion #?) by Guerin or was it Gary Roberts that went uncalled, either way

4. + all the Uncalled cross-checks to Zetterberg's (bad back) from Crysby (Gary's golden boy/Media darling/chosen next one) helped the Pens "win" in '09. It was a shame & a sham. To top it off, Crysby didn't even shake hands afterwards, he was too busy in a fit of childish self-adoration gloating amidst the media lap dogs. Total joke of a SC final.
Pretty sure that was in game 3 and the Red Wings were up 1-0 in the game. Would have been a huge powerplay for sure that could possibly turn the series.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I'm surprised this thread went 10 days without any mention of the series starting after only 2 days had passed since the Wings eliminated the Hawks in 5 games. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:
I still haven't forgiven Conan O'Brien for that. Even worse, his show only lasted 7 months.

Out of curiosity, was that the last time there were back to back games in a playoff series? In the Finals it probably is, but what about any round series?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Can’t seem to put my finger on what team you cheer for. :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm surprised this thread went 10 days without any mention of the series starting after only 2 days had passed since the Wings eliminated the Hawks in 5 games. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Ah yes, moving it up from the originally announced start date. Was definitely fun.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Pretty sure that was in game 3 and the Red Wings were up 1-0 in the game. Would have been a huge powerplay for sure that could possibly turn the series.
If it was Gm 3, the Wings were already up 2-0 in the series & that'd put a stranglehold on the series, but alas Crysby needed his sippy Cup awarded from Uncle Gary.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Funny thing was, I don't even think the Red Wings bench noticed. Usually the bench is screaming at the refs but it was only revealed a few minutes later when Olczyk was commentating the replay

Last edited by a moderator:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Funny thing was, I don't even think the Red Wings bench noticed. Usually the bench is screaming at the refs but it was only revealed a few minutes later when Olczyk was commentating the replay

I always wondered about that. It would be unusual indeed for them to be screaming at the ref for 30 seconds while he was ignoring them. Not sure how either the bench or the ref could miss it for that long.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I always wondered about that. It would be unusual indeed for them to be screaming at the ref for 30 seconds while he was ignoring them. Not sure how either the bench or the ref could miss it for that long.
Yeah that happens a lot where a bench will basically make the call for the ref who is oblivious. From what I remember, they were possessing the puck quite well down low, and the Pens had 3 defensemen on the ice. So all of the attention was down low and not up high where there was an extra guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad