Essex

200px-New_Jersey_Devils_logo.svg.png
V
200px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo.svg.png

New Jersey Devils v Pittsburgh Penguins

PENGUINS (12-7-0) at DEVILS (6-8-5)

TV: ROOT, MSG-PLUS

Last 10: Pittsburgh 5-5-0; New Jersey 5-3-2

Season series: This is the second of four meetings between the Pittsburgh Penguins and New Jersey Devils. The Penguins defeated the Devils 3-0 on opening night for both teams at Consol Energy Center.

Big story: Both teams played Friday night and came up with different results. The Penguins broke out of their offensive slump with a 4-1 win against the Nashville Predators; the Devils were shut out by Ben Scrivens and the Los Angeles Kings. The Devils had won two in a row and were 3-0-1 in their past four games prior to losing 2-0 to the Kings.

Team Scope:

Penguins: After scoring one goal in each of their three previous games, the Penguins got goals from Pascal Dupuis, James Neal, Kris Letang and Brandon Sutter to beat the Predators. They fell behind 1-0 early in the game but scored twice before the end of the first period.

For Neal, it was his first goal in his fourth game of the season. He has played three games since returning from a monthlong absence because of an injury and said he's rediscovering his chemistry with Evgeni Malkin, who had two assists Friday and now has 15 assists on the season.

"We're just going to continue to get better here, and Geno had some great chances again [Friday night] and he had some great passes," Neal said. "We had some good looks."

Just as important for the Penguins was the fact that they held the Predators to 18 shots on goal, but that was a byproduct of how well they played offensively.

Devils: New Jersey ran into a hot goalie Friday night and got burned because of it. The Devils had 26 shots on goal, including 12 in the first period, but could not find an opening in Scrivens.

"We just have to keep doing the same things," Devils coach Peter DeBoer said. "We're generating some chances. We have to find a way to capitalize on the power play. We have to keep throwing pucks and bodies to the net. We're not a pretty group offensively. We have to score some ugly goals."

Martin Brodeur will be in net for the Devils on Saturday, so maybe their offense will show up. The Devils have scored 28 goals in Brodeur's 10 starts this season compared to 10 in Schneider's nine starts.

Schneider was in net on opening night when the Devils lost 3-0 in Pittsburgh.

New Jersey Devils
Danius Zubrus - Travis Zajac (C) - Jaromir Jagr
Patrick Elias - Adam Henrique - Michael Ryder
Damien Brunner - Andrei Loktionov - Steve Bernier
Ryan Carter - Stephene Gionta - Cam Jansenn

Andy Greene - Marek Zidlicky
Eric Gelinas - Adam Larsson
Peter Harrold - Mark Fayne

Pittsburgh Penguins
Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby (C) - Pascal Dupuis
Jussi Jokinen - Evgeni Malkin (A) - James Neal
Beau Bennett - Brandon Sutter -Matt D'Agostini
Tanner Glass - Joe Vitale - Craig Adams

Brooks Orpik (A) - Paul Martin
Olli Maatta - Kris Letang
Matt Niskanen - Deryk Engelland

[size=+2][glow=black]Team Leaders[/size][/glow]
large.png
||
large.png

Crosby 9|GOALS| Jagr, Henrique & Ryder 5
Crosby 16|ASSISTS| Jagr & Zidlicky 9
Crosby 25|POINTS| Jagr 14
Kunitz + 12|PLUS MINUS| Jagr +5
Tanner Glass 34|PIM|Zidlicky 18​

i
V
i

3.36 GAA - 1-2-0 & .865% V 2.08 GAA - 5-3-2 & .913

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i'll repeat what i wrote in the pre-game thread because it gave me a chuckle:

i hope James Neal puts on a show for Ben Lovejoy's family!

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
I want to see a big win tonight, something like 5-1. These games against the same division teams are important.

Hopefully Zatkoff plays like he played against Columbus two weeks ago.

LGP!

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Hopefully the team plays like they did when Zatkoff got his shut out ...

And on the subject of hopefully, Geno did score his first NHL goal against Marty, maybe the dam breaks and the goal drought ends for him tonight.

penguins2946*

We are either going to be shut out or we're going to slaughter them. I don't know what to expect.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
We are either going to be shut out or we're going to slaughter them. I don't know what to expect.

Yeah it always seems to be one or the other with the Devils. We rarely win the close games against them. We either get a goal or two early and coast or we struggle all night and they eventually get a bounce or a powerplay and beat us. It's what always seems to happen against them.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
The Devils are going to be mediocre for a long time. A bunch of older, okay players along with a bunch of older bleh players and very little in good, young talent. Also not having a 1st-round pick this season hurts. They have as a bleak outlook for the next 3-5 seasons as any team in the league, imo.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If ever the old "couldn't score with a hooker" joke was appropriate it is when talking Devil hockey.

This should be an easy two points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->