Penguins Biggest Draft Boom and Bust Since 2000

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I didn't read the article but the biggest bust, by far, has to be Kris Beech. Considering he was the main piece in the Jagr trade....yikes. I don't think any Pens prospect comes close to him. Even Pouliot.

I don’t know if deep down anyone really expected much from Beech or the other two, although many probably wanted to believe they had promise. In fact they were just the best scraps we could get for 68.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I don't know if anyone really expected great things from the supposed centerpiece of that deal or really any of those guys. I remember more people being a bit more optimistic re: Sivek than Beech after we got a good eyeful of all of them. Beech wasn't even the top three Capitals prospects at the time, IIRC. I think CP said something really dumb about Ron Francis by way of comparison when talking about Beech but what was he supposed to do? He HAD to attempt to sell that trade to the fans even though in reality the REAL centerpiece of that deal by far and away was the cold, hard cash.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don’t know if deep down anyone really expected much from Beech or the other two, although many probably wanted to believe they had promise. In fact they were just the best scraps we could get for 68.

I thought they were explicitly the worst scraps, it's just that if we were getting any of the better prospects back, we wouldn't have gotten the cash to keep the team afloat. I don't remember what the Rangers offered, but I seem to recall it was a pretty good package.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Beech was the #6 overall pick and the scouting report on him was he was supposed to be a grade A passer/playmaker. His potential, draft status, and pressure of being traded for Jagr combined to put unreasonable expectations on him.

The only prospect who comes close to Beech is Pouliot, and IMO it's not even remotely close. Don't forget, Pouliot was considred a reach at #8. He was ranked around 20.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah I don't know if anyone really expected great things from the supposed centerpiece of that deal or really any of those guys. I remember more people being a bit more optimistic re: Sivek than Beech after we got a good eyeful of all of them. Beech wasn't even the top three Capitals prospects at the time, IIRC. I think CP said something really dumb about Ron Francis by way of comparison when talking about Beech but what was he supposed to do? He HAD to attempt to sell that trade to the fans even though in reality the REAL centerpiece of that deal by far and away was the cold, hard cash.

They were the Caps three top ranked prospects on HF... that’s about when I came aboard on this site looking for info on those guys.

I didn’t know any better about the rankings around here at the time, so I thought the Pens did well.

When they had the annual Pens-Baby Pens game where I saw Beech for the first time... I had to walk outside so my friends didn’t see me lose it and laugh at me.

Then Mike Lange was slobbering all over Beech comparing him to Francis and I was thinking wtf are you drinking tonight, Mike.

Billy Tibbets then tried to put Lemieux in a mayo jar and I knew I was in bizarro world.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They were the Caps three top ranked prospects on HF... that’s about when I came aboard on this site looking for info on those guys.

I didn’t know any better about the rankings around here at the time, so I thought the Pens did well.

When they had the annual Pens-Baby Pens game where I saw Beech for the first time... I had to walk outside so my friends didn’t see me lose it and laugh at me.

Then Mike Lange was slobbering all over Beech comparing him to Francis and I was thinking wtf are you drinking tonight, Mike.

Billy Tibbets then tried to put Lemieux in a mayo jar and I knew I was in bizarro world.

I mean... I tried to be excited. But like you said as soon as I had one look at the players in question I knew it was 100% about the money. Beech was egregiously bad. I'm pretty sure Chitown is correct that the Rangers had a much better hockey trade on the table. But again... money.

I swore that Beech wasn't all that hyped at the time, even in Washington. But according to the Wayback Machine he was in both 2000 and 2001's top 50 prospects so hey... he was foolin' quite a lot of people.

I still think Pouliot is for sure the worst bust here in the last 20 years but I'm not gonna debate too much over EITHER of those turds. Ha.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
OK so... holy shit... in the course of my brief foray into refreshing my memory on all things Kris Beech, of all players... I have determined that the 1999 draft MUST be one of the worst of all time, right?

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean... I tried to be excited. But like you said as soon as I had one look at the players in question I knew it was 100% about the money. Beech was egregiously bad. I'm pretty sure Chitown is correct that the Rangers had a much better hockey trade on the table. But again... money.

I swore that Beech wasn't all that hyped at the time, even in Washington. But according to the Wayback Machine he was in both 2000 and 2001's top 50 prospects so hey... he was foolin' quite a lot of people.

I still think Pouliot is for sure the worst bust here in the last 20 years but I'm not gonna debate too much over EITHER of those turds. Ha.

Beech was a top ten pick in ‘99 if I recall correctly, so he definitely had hype.

The Rags offer was hot garbage though, gotta disagree with Chi.

Brooks kept writing that CP only option was to deal with Sather.

The deal offered according to Brooks was supposedly Valeri Kamensky, Tim Taylor and $10 million.

OK so... holy shit... in the course of my brief foray into refreshing my memory on all things Kris Beech, of all players... I have determined that the 1999 draft MUST be one of the worst of all time, right?

Noticed that did you?

And the Pens ended up with like five of the top 50 of that class.

Woot!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... 10 million dollars is 10 million dollars. I think that's right around what they got for Jagr in that turd of a deal, as well. Supposedly kept ops going the whole rest of the year.

I still to this day think the Kovalev trade was arguably worse. That one also involved another once-highly-touted top 50 prospect in Fata.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean... 10 million dollars is 10 million dollars. I think that's right around what they got for Jagr in that turd of a deal, as well. Supposedly kept ops going the whole rest of the year.

I still to this day think the Kovalev trade was arguably worse. That one also involved another once-highly-touted top 50 prospect in Fata.

But the Craps gave them a fresh new former 7th overall pick!

I’ll never forget the smug look on Sweaty Teddy thinking he finally got one over on the Pens.

Edit: Pens had two second rounders in ‘99... sure why not... they took Jeremy Van Hoot... cool, cool.

6 picks in the top 57 in the worst draft class in my lifetime.

Hell yeah.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
But the Craps gave them a fresh new former 7th overall pick!

I’ll never forget the smug look on Sweaty Teddy thinking he finally got one over on the Pens.

Edit: Pens had two second rounders in ‘99... sure why not... they took Jeremy Van Hoot... cool, cool.

6 picks in the top 57 in the worst draft class in my lifetime.

Hell yeah.

Yeah that seems very latter-day Craig Patrick, huh?

As you pointed out one of the very few consolations re: that entire fiasco is that ultimately Jagr didn't do shit for the Caps.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jiggy, what did the Rags even offer? It’a been so long I can’t remember. :laugh:

Brooks said it was Valeri Kamensky, Tim Taylor and $10 million. Apparently, again according to Brooks, Sather had CP by the shorthairs.

Supposedly Sather had their um... prize prospects Brendl, Lundmark and their 10th off the board.... and Tomas Kloucek was also untouchable.

You are probably recalling offers fans were making with those guys?

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Brooks said it was Valeri Kamensky, Tim Taylor and $10 million. Apparently, again according to Brooks, Sather had CP by the shorthairs.

Supposedly Sather had their um... prize prospects Brendl, Lundmark and their 10th off the board.... and Tomas Kloucek was also untouchable.

You are probably recalling offers fans were making with those guys?

From how I'm reading the timeline this seems pretty much on the money. The Rangers package (this is all according to Brooks) at one point was as "competitive" as York, a 10th overall and a limited list of defensemen on the team. But the above as you describe it seems to be the only actual offer tabled at any point and even then was labeled as "comical." Hilariously, the Rangers considered Brendl and Lundmark untouchable at that time. New York was attempting to reel in a couple of other big fish that Summer and at least one deal was predicated on Jagr being on the team.

Flashback: The Rangers 2001 Pursuit Of Jaromir Jagr

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think I was. :laugh: I only remember that we got the most cash possible.

He later wrote an article when CP got fired claiming they could have had Johnsson and York... so his story changed some from his initial reports. He was trying to gloat if I recall... but the Pens had the last laugh, CP not so much.

I’ll try to dig that up for some laughs.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ah yes... the Penguins and CP could have really turned their fortunes around fast with, uh... *reads notes* Mike York and Kim Johnsson? Am I reading this right? "Bona fides?"

I forgot what a doof Brooks was. Thanks for the giggle.

Figured those of us in the US could use a laugh right about now.... well Chi to but ya.

If the idea that York and KJ were going to turn this franchise around doesn’t make you laugh...

Oh, and my wife just showed me my car insurance co gave us $62 back.

f*** ya, going to invest in some Twitters stocks.

Things are looking up boys!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Figured those of us in the US could use a laugh right about now.... well Chi to but ya.

If the idea that York and KJ were going to turn this franchise around doesn’t make you laugh...

Oh, and my wife just showed me my car insurance co gave us $62 back.

f*** ya, going to invest in some Twitters stocks.

Things are looking up boys!

Haha... nice.

And just for context, Brooks wrote this in 2006. Both York and KJ were wrapping up the last decent seasons they would ever have.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

I was busy with a lot of other things at the time, but I remember reading a lot of fluff pieces at the time about how great these three guys were. Hell, I remember thinking they made Lupaschuk sound like we got the second coming of Ray Bourque. But I'd been around long enough not to believe any of it. I mean, in my simple mind, it was as simple as CP was a forced seller with not a lot of serious buyers and he got shit. So I guess I was just jaded from the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad