Post-Game Talk: Penguins Beat Devils 5-1 | We Need More Bort License Plates

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, Despres does look like something special. He's still trying to learn what he can get away with at the NHL level so you do see an occasional mistake where he tries to do too much but his puck moving is special and I can't believe how physical he's becoming.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
The idea of trading Letang is intriguing and something that I've never even considered. With the amount of seemingly quality defensive prospects coming up, it makes it an even more intriguing idea. In order to get a good player, you're going to have to give up a good player, and Letang is certainly a good player. He'd have insane market value, especially given his contract. The return could get would be pretty amazing.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
The idea of trading Letang is intriguing and something that I've never even considered. With the amount of seemingly quality defensive prospects coming up, it makes it an even more intriguing idea. In order to get a good player, you're going to have to give up a good player, and Letang is certainly a good player. He'd have insane market value, especially given his contract. The return could get would be pretty amazing.

Could we stockpile the wing cupboard?

I think you should ask on the trade board.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It would and should take a lot to get Letang out of Pittsburgh. Just to toss out a few..

Letang for Ryan

Letang and TK for Stafford and Meyers

Letang Tangradi and 2nd for Iginla and Giordano

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
It would and should take a lot to get Letang out of Pittsburgh. Just to toss out a few..

Letang for Ryan

Letang and TK for Stafford and Meyers

Letang Tangradi and 2nd for Iginla and Giordano

When you factor in age, contract length, and positional need, I personally don't think any of those would be strong enough.

Especially considering that Goligoski = Neal + Niskanen, and Letang >>>> Goligoski.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
How about we don't even think about dealing Letang before our kids are ready?

Which would be 4-5 years down the road, and IF a few of the defensive prospects pan out. A lot could happen in that time. Pens management wanted another top pairing defenseman to pair with Letang, not trade their only legitimate #1 away.

I still find it hard to believe that the Pens managed to draft and develop such a steal from the third round, seeing as how crappy they've been in both departments for quite a while.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry, but I just do not feel comfortable with Despres being a major fixture of our top-6, and certainly not as a top-pairing Dman with Letang, for a Stanly Cup run for THIS season. (And this is especially the case with everyone else in our top 6, including Nisky, Engo & Bort playing so well).
I'm even less comfortable with two of Dupuis, Jeffrey, Boychuk and Kennedy playing major roles in the forward top 6 than I would be going into the playoffs with Despres as a major fixture in our D top 6. If we can solve the wing problem without moving a roster d-man, great. That should be plan A. But if we can't, then I hope we trade a d-man and roll the dice on Despres being the player that we need him to be.

We have seen what happens when we go into the playoffs with our forwards like they are now. It isn't pretty. I don't want to see it again.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dallas fans said they would do Eriksson for Letang, I would strongly consider that

you shouldn't. we can't afford to lose Letang. Value wise, that's not terrible. If we had a number 1 d-man stuck behind Letang on the depth chart, then sure lets talk about that. But we don't. We need Letang too much.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Dallas fans said they would do Eriksson for Letang, I would strongly consider that

No. Dear God, no! Not because the value isn't fair, but we had to watch the Pens for YEARS with high powered offense and no defense. It didn't work with Mario and Jagr in the mid 90's and it won't work now.

I really don't understand this board sometimes....

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
How about we don't even think about dealing Letang before our kids are ready?
How much do you think he's going to get in his next contract? Between $6 and $7. I like Letang but he's not a PPQB even though he might be a PP player.

Team will overpay for him right now. Its worth at least talking about it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
How much do you think he's going to get in his next contract? Between $6 and $7. I like Letang but he's not a PPQB even though he might be a PP player.

Team will overpay for him right now. Its worth at least talking about it.

Its not. He is too good 5 on 5 to even discuss moving him. He is the backbone of our defense. Give him his 6-7 mil and thank him for giving us the opportunity to do so.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I love Eriksson, but I wouldn't trade Letang for him.

I'm not sure there's a team with 2 guys capable of 50 goals, and 1 guy capable of 40, but are so starved for a high end winger.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
I just think it's at least worth discussing what letang ifs worth. Always a good idea to know what every player on your team would be worth to you in a trade. Even if you think he's not worth moving it would be unrealistic to think a GM doesn't have his own notes on what he thinks each player in the organization is worth.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just think it's at least worth discussing what letang ifs worth. Always a Goff idea to know what every player on your team would be worth to you in a trade. Even if you think he's not worth moving it would be unrealistic to think a GM doesn't have his own notes on what he thinks each player in the organization is worth.

value-wise, they'd probably need to add a little bit on top of Ericksson, but its not that far off probably. Probably a lesser player swap favoring us a bit and a pick coming our way or something. I'm pretty bad at judging trade value though. But Ericksson is a hell of a player.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
A bit late here, been busy with ****, so here is what i noticed:

+ The defense in general. Kept a lok of shots from reaching Fleury, which is always a + as far as I'm concerned. Fleury had a pretty easy day as a result (again, huge +)

+ Boychuk looks like he can be a solid addition to the Malkin/Neal line. Whenever he was on the ice with them, there were scoring chances, and a lot made by him. He seemed to read Malkin very well and looked like he belonged there. I didn't notice him on D, not sure if he made any bad moves on that front. He seemed to hold the zone decently though.

+ Kunitz was back to his old self. Good to see he has gotten back to his game. And he was looking solid on both the Crosby and Malkin lines.

+ Sutter. That is why he is on the team. That was a hard-fought, dirty goal, the kind that can change the tide of a game.

- Power play still looks lost and disorganized. Is anyone surprised that the one goal NJ got was when they were short-handed?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That was on Malkin. He got lazy, stopped skating and let Greene go right past him.

he does that. especially at the end of 1:40 shifts.

either way, the PP is a huge minus right now. Letang just doesn't seem to have the mental ability to run the PP. So much hesitation.

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
tumblr_mhm74zfQSc1qetosso1_500.gif

tumblr_mhm74zfQSc1qetosso2_400.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->