Penguins Announce "Prospects Challenge" Roster

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Man, I'd love if Legare panned out.

There's a lot to be said for having an RH shot winger who can one-time a puck like he can, especially when you have 2 elite LH shot centers on your team. That's a big part of why I hoped Sprong would get a real chance here.

Blah, blah, there's more to hockey than a shot. I know, not everybody can or should play that way. But it's nice to have one RH shot option with that kind of speed, release, and accuracy. Don't talk to me about Bjugstad, he ain't that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
From my perspective Legare is the most intriguing prospect of the current group. I thought we extracted great value in where he was drafted. You can't teach that shot. And IF he can aptly round out the rest of his game he could be a great find for us. Looking forward to see how he develops over the next year or two.

Reactions: Burn and Dominance

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
From my perspective Legare is the most intriguing prospect of the current group. I thought we extracted great value in where he was drafted. You can't teach that shot. And IF he can aptly round out the rest of his game he could be a great find for us. Looking forward to see how he develops over the next year or two.

I'm not sure how much he even needs to round his game out from where he is. I was re-reading Jesse's profile on him today and he was emphasising heavily just how much of an all-round terror in the offensive zone he is - he can make plays, he understands how his shot scares goaltenders and causes them to not be ready for the pass, and he has Horny/Guentzel-esque qualities down low. He's a long way from just being a big shot. If he can bring all that through to pro, then he's good to go as long as he doesn't crap himself in the other two zones.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not sure how much he even needs to round his game out from where he is. I was re-reading Jesse's profile on him today and he was emphasising heavily just how much of an all-round terror in the offensive zone he is - he can make plays, he understands how his shot scares goaltenders and causes them to not be ready for the pass, and he has Horny/Guentzel-esque qualities down low. He's a long way from just being a big shot. If he can bring all that through to pro, then he's good to go as long as he doesn't crap himself in the other two zones.
And that is what I'm speaking to (the other zones). And I don't necessarily view him as a liability there currently, but in the limited time I've seen him play in the ''Q'', he obviously has elements (as all young players do) to his game that need shored up. But I'll go on record now and suggest that this was a really solid pick for us. Here's hoping it pans out.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He could be Sid’s RW this year...I thought he looked NHL ready at the development camp, certainly more than Poulin...I really hope he pushes for a spot...we’re going to have major cap problems next season and we could use some ELCs...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Yeah I agree he’s pretty well rounded. I really only have 2 questions with him, and they’re big ones, but still weaknesses worth gambling on.

Like any prospect, how well can he adapt to the speed of the game to best utilize his skillset? But I think it’s a slightly more critical question for Legare, since he’s an offensive guy who doesn’t necessarily have the ability to create space for himself at the top level with his skating. So can he create it with his brain when the game speeds up?

And then the other thing for me is how quick can he get on his stops/starts. Kid is clearly very strong and is only 18; if he can just get to a point where his first couple steps allow him to just turn those races for loose pucks into 50-50 battles once in the NHL.... I think there is potential for him to be a very effective pro.

Just my 2 cents but I agree that he doesn’t need to round out his game in a classical sense.

Reactions: Dominance and Peat

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens need more raw material in the system and GMJT and Shero in the never ending win this year mantra has cost the franchise young developing talent. But this draft, the trade for POJ and Marino and couple of potential prospects at least one can see some better things on the horizon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad