Confirmed with Link: Penguins Announce Prospect Development Camp Roster

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It has to be the weakest development camp group in the league - our prospect pool is shallow to begin with and most of the interesting guys are either injured or have already graduated from this camp. Not a lot to write home about there.

You'd have thought we could have got a more interesting bunch of prospects in to give a go too given how we're blatantly looking to hand out contracts to kids to makeup for all the picks we trade away.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You'd have thought we could have got a more interesting bunch of prospects in to give a go too given how we're blatantly looking to hand out contracts to kids to makeup for all the picks we trade away.

Yeah, but are there really that many intriguing camp invites out there? I don't really know what other team's invites look like.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, but are there really that many intriguing camp invites out there? I don't really know what other team's invites look like.

I don't know for sure without doing a lot of research, but I feel confident there's more than we've got at our camp. Or than we had at our camp last year. Two of the college guys we had in camp last year are on NHL deals already. I'd be surprised if that's the same with the college guys we have this time.

This is all based on stat watching and google mind, but they just don't look as impressive as the guys we had last year or the best college UFAs we see sign every year. Maybe there's some gems in the junior guys.

What’s Robertson’s deal?

Was ranked 78th among NA skaters by someone, so surprise he didn't get drafted.

The scouting profiles and what not out there basically seems to be saying big bodied dman who can skate and who's putting his offensive game together (i.e. doesn't have one yet and probably never will). Maybe Rutherford will finally make that hit on the mobile DFD guy he's been craving...

Reactions: Jacob

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I hope they inc a few of them.
I would guess Robertson and Connor Roberts have the best chance. Connor Roberts being 6.4 and seems to start producing after be got traded to Flint.

Maybe a goalie as well, we only have D'Orio as far as junior goalies goes.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't know for sure without doing a lot of research, but I feel confident there's more than we've got at our camp. Or than we had at our camp last year. Two of the college guys we had in camp last year are on NHL deals already. I'd be surprised if that's the same with the college guys we have this time.

This is all based on stat watching and google mind, but they just don't look as impressive as the guys we had last year or the best college UFAs we see sign every year. Maybe there's some gems in the junior guys.

Yeah, last year was awesome, but it seems to me that was more an aberration than anything. Bellerive was a home run, for sure. I don't remember much of note from other camp invitees in previous years, but maybe I'm blanking.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, last year was awesome, but it seems to me that was more an aberration than anything. Bellerive was a home run, for sure. I don't remember much of note from other camp invitees in previous years, but maybe I'm blanking.

It shouldn't be an aberration though. It should be the goal. Maybe not aiming to get 4 from every camp, but this is now the de facto round 8 of the draft.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Didn't we sign Dea out of one of these camps?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Think Gage Quinney got himself into Wheeling off the back of one (or maybe that was confirmed before the camp, I forget) and that's led him to an NHL contract with Vegas. Reid Gardiner's got himself an AHL contract out of it too, wouldn't be surprised if that became an NHL contract somewhere in a year or two.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Matt Murray, Team Murray, Sidney Crosby Steal Show

Few bits from Kingerski

And a puff piece on Zerter-Gossage

Harvard winger shows Penguins smarts, skill

Zerter-Gossage kinda sums up my irritation at their choice. It sounds like they think he's worth a contract, but being Ivy League will be going back to school. They knew that, so why a bunch of Ivy Leaguers who haven't finished?

Thinking outside the box. Other teams probably thinking the same but if we can get in early and they think this guy could be a regular NHL player it shows some goodwill.

Get him to enjoy penguins hockey and if he’s finished next year sign him up. I don’t mind it.

Reactions: Jacob

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think most teams usually have a mix of CHL guys (who can potentially sign) and college/college bound guys who wont be signed now but might be signed in the future.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thinking outside the box. Other teams probably thinking the same but if we can get in early and they think this guy could be a regular NHL player it shows some goodwill.

Get him to enjoy penguins hockey and if he’s finished next year sign him up. I don’t mind it.

I guess, but how often do people sign for the team they went to development camp for last season? I'd rather get the guy they think could be a regular NHL player who could be finished right now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sustr attended our rookie camp but signed with Tampa Bay. Still I think it’s good to invite them and hope they err on the side of familiarity and loyalty when they graduate.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Is Zerter-Gossage gonna walk away from completing an Ivy League degree for a probably AHL career?

I'm thinking maybe its Roberts, maybe that he was the guy they had lined up at 7th before going "Naaaah".

You can always go back to complete a degree. You can't go back to be a professional hockey player.

Matt Murray, Team Murray, Sidney Crosby Steal Show

Few bits from Kingerski

And a puff piece on Zerter-Gossage

Harvard winger shows Penguins smarts, skill

Zerter-Gossage kinda sums up my irritation at their choice. It sounds like they think he's worth a contract, but being Ivy League will be going back to school. They knew that, so why a bunch of Ivy Leaguers who haven't finished?

I'd imagine it's warm bodies now, and putting the bug in their ear going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->