Confirmed with Link: Penguins Announce Prospect Development Camp Roster

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Trading draft picks forces things as to having assets like these. But if you miss or don't come up with a surprise, it sets the process back a bit. without young ELC or talent pushing the roster, you reach for players with holes. I have no idea who many of these guys are but I can't remember a camp with so few knowns. We knew Kapanen and Sprong would shine. Now who is that guy.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Trading draft picks forces things as to having assets like these. But if you miss or don't come up with a surprise, it sets the process back a bit. without young ELC or talent pushing the roster, you reach for players with holes. I have no idea who many of these guys are but I can't remember a camp with so few knowns. We knew Kapanen and Sprong would shine. Now who is that guy.

To repeat what FreeBobbyFarnham said earlier, I think that's a good thing. Whenever there's been a consensus "top guy" in the development camp, everyone focused on them. Now we get to see who stands out without any other distractions. (That said, it'll probably be Addison... at least, he will be if Jesse's most recent post on The Athletic is any indication).

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
We said pretty much the same thing last year about the invites and we got 3 contracts out if it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Brodi Stuart and Connor Roberts have caught my interest.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Angello, Lafferty and Johnson are also not on the list.
Which is fine, they'll be at the main camp. I think it's better this way actually. You want to see what your prospects and these kids have in a purely rookie tourney. I think having a lot of your AHL talent there muddles it a little bit for who really stands out. You want to see how these kids do against what the other teams throw out and you know they'll be showing off their AHL guys, etc.

Pens are actually playing this as a proper "show up, stand out, earn a contract" type of thing.

And I mean, guys like Angello, Lafferty, and Johnson are going to look like Sid, Geno, and Kessel out there in that group, proves and solves nothing by the way of giving these kids a chance. I'd rather they played the invites and the new picks instead and allow them to play in the situations in the tourney and show their stuff.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Yikes

I'm not a big prospect guy and will defer to the experts.. but yikes was my honest reaction.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It’s cool that Marco Sturm will be there. Does he have any ties to the organization or area? Can’t think of any.

Reactions: Burn

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd be cooling jets on finding next Bellerive stuff. Not doubting the talent levels there (well, actually, I might a little based on stats, but you kn0w), but there's a lot of college commits and sophomores there. I think Robertson is the only dman we could sign to an ELC now; Krastenbergs, Roberts and Stuart the only forwards. Two CHL goaltenders though, that could yield something.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Connor Roberts is a name to keep an eye on... Guy has really struggled to find himself as an OHL player and use his body that dominated in Midget, but he showed some offensive flair in Flint once he was traded there and, given his pedigree, could be the kind of guy that breaks out and gets drafted next year. Hoping for the best for him.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
Speaking of Lauzon, I noticed that he turns 20 in early October. I'm assuming the expectation is that he spends the year in Wilkes Barre rather than being an overage junior?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Speaking of Lauzon, I noticed that he turns 20 in early October. I'm assuming the expectation is that he spends the year in Wilkes Barre rather than being an overage junior?

It's an option, but considering that we have yet to sign Lauzon and that he was limited to 30 QMJHL games (including playoffs) this past season, I suspect he will play a fifth and final season in the 'Q'. He only played 11 games as a rookie in 2014-15 (though I do not know whether that too was injury-related or he was a guy who played sparingly due to his age) as well, so he has not played as much junior hockey as most of his peers who are turning 20 this year.

As for the development camp roster, it seems to me we are using this as a tryout camp instead of a development camp. And I have no problem with that. I think hockey players already play too much hockey during a calendar year. Our known prospects will have a rookie prospect camp/tournament soon enough, there really is no need for a second prospect camp in the summer months.

Rest up, work out, play other sports, get your mind away from the rink for a month or two and then come back ready to win a job when camp opens up. It's not bad strategy imo.

I will always remember Walter Gretzky's words in a book I read about The Great One when papa Gretzky said he never wanted his kid playing hockey in the summer. Which is why Gretzky developed into such a great baseball player, too. Walter always feared his kid would get sick and tired mentally of playing too much hockey. I think Brian Burke reiterated the same thoughts during the Friday night SportsNet telecast on the draft.

Reactions: damoose212001

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Maybe Pens come up with a surprise. But not a good thing for adding talent that is tryout material. Lauzon to me has some upside if he can stay healthy. many liked his play and smarts and skating. Play in the OHL is a no brainer. He needs to establish himself and WB is just a bridge to far. Plus Pens really are not in big need this year with probably 6 D men with Oleksiak signed. Sheahan extended and Oleksiak probably are 4 million or so. Leave 5.5 million in the hopper.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Maybe Pens come up with a surprise. But not a good thing for adding talent that is tryout material. Lauzon to me has some upside if he can stay healthy. many liked his play and smarts and skating. Play in the OHL is a no brainer. He needs to establish himself and WB is just a bridge to far. Plus Pens really are not in big need this year with probably 6 D men with Oleksiak signed. Sheahan extended and Oleksiak probably are 4 million or so. Leave 5.5 million in the hopper.

You mean QMJHL.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm gonna guess Lucchini or Zerter-Gossage.

Is Zerter-Gossage gonna walk away from completing an Ivy League degree for a probably AHL career?

I'm thinking maybe its Roberts, maybe that he was the guy they had lined up at 7th before going "Naaaah".

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->