Speculation: Penguins: All Your Folignos Are Belong To Us

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Minnesota needs centers badly. Jared McCann is 25, an RFA, and looked half-decent in the middle-six.

McCann for M. Foligno

Patrick Hornqvist seems like the kind of player Tortarella would salivate over, easily one of the hardest working players on the Pens. He earns 200,000 less than N. Foligno, is only 1 year older, produces about the same amount as him (32 points in 52 games for Hornqvist last season, compared to 31 points in 67 games for N. Foligno)

Hornqvist for N. Foligno

Run a third line of Foligno-Foligno-Tanev and have the punjabi announcer come back for us, chanting FOLIGNOFOLIGNOFOLIGNOFOLIGNO!

(This thread is not 100% serious)

Last edited:

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
as much as wild need a c, you are going to have to convince Guerin to let go of Foligno. As of right now, wild are trying to resign Foligno

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Minnesota needs centers badly. Jared McCann is 25, an RFA, and looked half-decent in the middle-six.

McCann for M. Foligno

Patrick Hornqvist seems like the kind of player Tortarella would salivate over, easily one of the hardest working players on the Pens. He earns 200,000 less than N. Foligno, is only 1 year older, produces about the same amount as him (32 points in 52 games for Hornqvist last season, compared to 31 points in 67 games for M. Foligno)

Hornqvist for N. Foligno

Run a third line of Foligno-Foligno-Tanev and have the punjabi announcer come back for us, chanting FOLIGNOFOLIGNOFOLIGNOFOLIGNO!

I'm down, if for anything to prevent Guerin from signing him to the 4 x $3M+ extension that I'm fearful of, but McCann is also semi intriguing on his own.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

McCann for M. Foligno

Patrick Hornqvist seems like the kind of player Tortarella would salivate over, easily one of the hardest working players on the Pens. He earns 200,000 less than N. Foligno, is only 1 year older, produces about the same amount as him (32 points in 52 games for Hornqvist last season, compared to 31 points in 67 games for M. Foligno)

Hornqvist for N. Foligno

I wish such deals could happen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jackets say no easily.

Foligno stats: 212 games, 42 goals and 99 points
Hornqvist stats: 191 games, 64 goals and 118 points

Not really sure what basis there is for Columbus saying no "easily". It's basically an even swap of two very similarly talented players who make similar money and are a similar age, with Foligno likely being a little bit worse.

Reactions: domaug and ownal

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Not really sure what basis there is for Columbus saying no "easily". It's basically an even swap of two very similarly talented players who make similar money and are a similar age, with Foligno likely being a little bit worse.

Foligno is their captain. Contract end in a year compared to horny with what 2 or 3 years left. Jackets are pretty well set on right wing. Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Anderson? and Bemstrom

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Foligno has mostly been used in a defensive shutdown capacity next to Boone Jenner. He was on five or six Selke ballots and led all NHL forwards in TOI at the time his team exited the playoffs. Hornqvist has bounced around but you can guess at who two of his most common centers have been. He's degraded more. Foligno has lost his scoring touch but is better than ever defensively. Also, you know, the leader of the team.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not that I have an issue with McCann for Foligno regardless of the answer to the following, but isn't McCann kinda being chased out of Pittsburgh because he can't play center? I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere on this board that a lot of Pens fans agree he shouldn't be a center.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Foligno has mostly been used in a defensive shutdown capacity next to Boone Jenner. He was on five or six Selke ballots and led all NHL forwards in TOI at the time his team exited the playoffs. Hornqvist has bounced around but you can guess at who two of his most common centers have been. He's degraded more. Foligno has lost his scoring touch but is better than ever defensively. Also, you know, the leader of the team.

Oh come on, he got 6 5th place votes. ZAR got 1 4th place vote and 1 5th place vote and you'll probably see the Penguins dump him for like a 4th round pick this off-season. Selke voting at that level is pointless. Freaking Artemi Panarin got a 1st place vote.

I don't doubt that Foligno is good defensively, but the reasons you mentioned don't show that he's noticeably better defensively than Hornqvist. Hornqvist's defensive analytics are pretty strong himself.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh come on, he got 6 5th place votes. ZAR got 1 4th place vote and 1 5th place vote and you'll probably see the Penguins dump him for like a 4th round pick this off-season. Selke voting at that level is pointless. Freaking Artemi Panarin got a 1st place vote.

I don't doubt that Foligno is good defensively, but the reasons you mentioned don't show that he's noticeably better defensively than Hornqvist. Hornqvist's defensive analytics are pretty strong himself.

Sure but I'm not the greatest writer on the planet, I can't paint you a picture with words of how good Foligno has been without the puck. Sometimes other people's opinions are as good a story as you'll get.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Not that I have an issue with McCann for Foligno regardless of the answer to the following, but isn't McCann kinda being chased out of Pittsburgh because he can't play center? I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere on this board that a lot of Pens fans agree he shouldn't be a center.
He's not good enough offensively to be a 2C on an offensively-minded team and not good enough defensively to be a 3C on a team that uses its 3C to take its difficult matchups, but one could argue that he'd be a good 2C on a defensively-minded team that uses its 2C a little bit defensively and doesn't require a ton of offense from their 2C.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

Horny has two years left at 5.3 and is oft injured whereas Foligno has one year at 5.5? Putting stats is cute up, but maybe just maybe Horny's stats are better because he has played many games with some guy named Sid.

Reactions: majormajor

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

His best play was at 2C this year when 87 was hurt and he had half decent linemates. I think they’re more exploring what he’d fetch in a trade due to his RFA status.

But no, he couldn’t stick at 3C. It’s weird. Then again nobody since Bonino can.

McCann’s really talented so I think on a team like Minnesota —where he’ll get decent wingers and some top 6 opportunity, as well as a defined role— he could actually be pretty good. No guarantee but I wouldn’t be surprised to see that.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
His best play was at 2C this year when 87 was hurt and he had half decent linemates. I think they’re more exploring what he’d fetch in a trade due to his RFA status.

But no, he couldn’t stick at 3C. It’s weird. Then again nobody since Bonino can.

McCann’s really talented so I think on a team like Minnesota —where he’ll get decent wingers and some top 6 opportunity, as well as a defined role— he could actually be pretty good. No guarantee but I wouldn’t be surprised to see that.

As much I would like a c, it's just not happening that Guerin is trading foligno unless overpayed or negotiations go wrong because right now Foligno & spurgeon are only two in mix for next wild captain

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Hypothetically, a Kaprizov/McCann/Zuccarello 2nd line would sound like what to you? Assuming Kaprizov is somewhere close to the hype.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Horny has two years left at 5.3 and is oft injured whereas Foligno has one year at 5.5? Putting stats is cute up, but maybe just maybe Horny's stats are better because he has played many games with some guy named Sid.

Hornqvist has 3 years, not 2 - hes signed until 2023.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->