Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire defenseman John Marino

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
We really suck right now, so I decided to bump this thread to cheer us up! Just pulled a couple quotes off the first page for giggles :D. I remember reading @Randy Butternubs' post at the time and audibly laughing in my office to the point where people were staring at me!

It’s happening?

Alot of people seem to think he'll have an NHL career, so thats good.

one of the worst defensive teams in the league gave him up for a condition 6th in 2 years, so consider that before HFing him right into your mock lineups

Seems ok. Is he much of an upgrade on Ryan Jones and Will Reilly?

Maybe a little better than Reilly? Kinda hard to tell. Either having both Walsh and Fox kept his numbers down bc he was behind them or playing with Walsh inflated them.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
We really suck right now, so I decided to bump this thread to cheer us up! Just pulled a couple quotes off the first page for giggles :D. I remember reading @Randy Butternubs' post at the time and audibly laughing in my office to the point where people were staring at me!

I have zero problems looking like a dumbass here. What a wonderful surprise.

Reactions: kladorf2005

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
What made the Oilers want to get rid of this guy again? They don't exactly have a bunch of Bobby Orrs in their pipeline.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Marino is more of the guy you pair the PMD with, not the PMD.

I think Marino has definitely enough skill to put up the points needed to be a good offensive defenseman. What makes Marino really good though is that he has the defensive skills of a Dumoulin with much more offensive ability. Marino in his rookie season was close to a 40 point defenseman over an 82 game schedule and he did that without being the man and not the PP time. I could very easily see Matheson and Marino putting up nice offensive numbers on this team. I think Marino could very easily become a 45+ point defenseman and with his overall game that is plenty enough to be a teams number 1. Maybe Marino won't develop more but even if he stayed the same he already could easily get 45+ points just by being that top pairing defenseman and more PP time. What are we talking about to get that? Less than 10 points needed with increased ice time and PP. That seems very doable just at the pace he showed last season.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
What the hell is going on with this guy? Asking you guys cause I don't follow the pens but I drafted him in my fantasy league expecting a bit of offense and nothing.. is he creating things out there at least?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
What the hell is going on with this guy? Asking you guys cause I don't follow the pens but I drafted him in my fantasy league expecting a bit of offense and nothing.. is he creating things out there at least?

He's been a little bit of a disaster but has been getting better.

Defensively the Penguins have had a lot of LD out so they've been playing him on his off-side and he was quite bad there. Now that we have Matheson back and Petts coming back soon he won't be on that side moving forward.

Having said that, from a fantasy perspective I'm not expecting him to get much PP time (maybe PP2 along with Matheson) so I wouldn't bank on much offense out of him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You drafted Marino for his offense?
tenor.gif

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's pretty deep and it's dynasty with a cap so good dmen are never traded or available.

I have guys on Marino's tier in a keeper league...hell, I've had Esa Lindell on my team for 4 years now, I think...I mean, I've never protected Lindell, he just never gets drafted and is just better than the kind of player you can skim off of the free agent pile.

I wouldn't expect Marino to be much better than Lindell for fantasy purposes. He'll likely be more valuable than someone like Dumoulin ever was in fantasy, but you're still talking about someone who only has fantasy value if your alternatives are Alex Edler & Brenden Dillon (the top D FAs in my deep keeper league).

I'd be surprised if Marino's 26 point rookie season ends up being a career high, but I wouldn't be surprised if his 26 in 56 pace (.46 ppg) ends up being his best pace. He is not the kind of defenseman I'd expect 30 points from a season. 20-25? Sounds reasonable.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
You drafted Marino for his offense?
tenor.gif
Ok.. I said I wasn't a pens fan, guy had a pretty good ppg, he was signed to a fat contract but this year he costs nothing and my league has a cap, I'll admit I was stat watching.. I'm pretty sure you do that sometimes.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
CAN THIS THREAD BE LOCKED AND DISCUSSION TAKEN TO OFF DAY THREAD

sick of seeing a dman confirmed with link trade thread popping up and giving me a heart attack

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad