Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire defenseman John Marino

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Friedman's 31 thoughts, a small Penguins note:

31 Thoughts: How Brayden Point's contract impacts the RFA market - Sportsnet.ca

You can thank the Oilers firing Chiarelli for why the Penguins were able to get Marino. It seems like it's beyond Pittsburgh now that thinks Marino is going to be a special player.

Small note but pretty interesting that they've picked up on it and glad that we are not the only ones thinking that the kid has been excellent in camp thus far!
Best D pick up for GMJR in the past combined summers

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That sheds some light.

I realize that the standard line was that the Oilers were just "so deep" in upcoming defensemen that they "just didn't have room" for Marino.

As good as he's looked... that just didn't completely track. Especially considering how abysmal the Oilers are.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That sheds some light.

I realize that the standard line was that the Oilers were just "so deep" in upcoming defensemen that they "just didn't have room" for Marino.

As good as he's looked... that just didn't completely track. Especially considering how abysmal the Oilers are.

I thought the argument there wasn't that the Oilers didn't want Marino, but rather that was he didn't want them.

Interesting to hear the real why now.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I thought the argument there wasn't that the Oilers didn't want Marino, but rather that was he didn't want them.

Interesting to hear the real why now.

Oh honestly I didn't know there was any word on Marino basically telling them to pound sand. Though, I mean... it's Edmonton. Perhaps that should be an assumption at this point?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oh honestly I didn't know there was any word on Marino basically telling them to pound sand. Though, I mean... it's Edmonton. Perhaps that should be an assumption at this point?

Yeah. Now you mention it, I can't recall whether that was the actual rumour, or just my assumption because it made so much more sense for him to be goin nope

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
“John is a mobile defenceman who excels at moving the puck while also playing with an edge to his game”

Whoa! JR must have actually watched a defenseman this time.

Whadda ya know about that!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Got a nice shoutout from Friedman today.
This dude isn't like Riikola in the slightest.
Got Niskanen type player written all over him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Riikola 2.0. Don’t be tempted.

Drop him to the A. Give him steady minutes. Build him as a prospect in the Pens system. It’ll do wonders. POJ should be the first call up.

Ohhh yeesh. POJ probably has the highest potential but I think he has the longest route to hit that potential. I do not think he's NHL ready. He's going to get a couple cups of joe and then he's either going to click or not. I think he's a couple years out from really finding his groove.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That was more in line with LD needs versus Marino.

Right now I think they'd give that LD call up to Warsofsky or Churchman, right or wrong. POJ needs to make a few waves in the AHL to change that (which I hope he can).

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The reason the Oilers had to trade Marino was because he didn't want to play for them. I think it was a combination of Chiarelli being fired and less opportunity on the Oilers.

With the Penguins, he has a easier path to the NHL. With the Oilers, he would have to pass Bouchard, Smarukov, Jones, Bear and Lagessson (who is another underrated d).

This is the the Oilers AHL lineup on d:
Samarukov-Bouchard
Jones-Bear/Persson
Lagesson-Day
+ Broberg in the SHL

Happy that he is doing good for you guys

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The reason the Oilers had to trade Marino was because he didn't want to play for them. I think it was a combination of Chiarelli being fired and less opportunity on the Oilers.

With the Penguins, he has a easier path to the NHL. With the Oilers, he would have to pass Bouchard, Smarukov, Jones, Bear and Lagessson (who is another underrated d).

Samarukov-Bouchard
Jones-Bear/Persson
Lagesson-Day
+ Broberg in the SHL

I guess the question is how long will it take those players to be in the NHL because from most accounts here, seems like Marino could hit the NHL as soon as later this season.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I guess the question is how long will it take those players to be in the NHL because from most accounts here, seems like Marino could hit the NHL as soon as later this season.
Yeah, the openings on the Oilers D are on the right side.
Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-X
Russell-Benning/X (if someone can beat him)

It looks like the last spot is going to Bear or Persson, or both of them if Benning sucks.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, the openings on the Oilers D are on the right side.
Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-X
Russell-Benning/X (if someone can beat him)

It looks like the last spot is going to Bear or Persson, or both of them if Benning sucks.

source.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Samarukov-Bouchard
Jones-Bear/Persson
Lagesson-Day
+ Broberg in the SHL

I think he just wanted to not be near that franchise. There's a good chance if he did sign, he would have probably been in that group or ahead of it.

But let's not pretend players don't know the Oilers, even with McJesus, are a toxic team for development. Holland isn't going to undo that stigma and fact within a summer.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Bear is on the opening day roster and has been excellent in camp. Wouldn’t be surprised if Bouchard, Lagesson, and some others get time this year as well.

How is Marino doing? It’s good to hear him doing well. From what I’ve read he’s been impressive, wish him nothing but the best for you guys.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Bear is on the opening day roster and has been excellent in camp. Wouldn’t be surprised if Bouchard, Lagesson, and some others get time this year as well.

How is Marino doing? It’s good to hear him doing well. From what I’ve read he’s been impressive, wish him nothing but the best for you guys.

Marino is doing good, got a steal for trading a 6th round pick. Buuuut anything can happen, so for right now he's been good.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s as simple as him wanting to stay close to home in the northeast and having some control of the situation to make that happen.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

He's played far better than anyone expected him to. Skates and carries the puck extremely well, good stick defensively, solid positionally, has a physical edge. Sounds like a hype train post, but he has a very well rounded game and deserves a spot in the opening night line-up. He earned it.

Reactions: snipes and Andy99

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He's played far better than anyone expected him to. Skates and carries the puck extremely well, good stick defensively, solid positionally, has a physical edge. Sounds like a hype train post, but he has a very well rounded game and deserves a spot in the opening night line-up. He earned it.

That’s awesome to hear, I always liked the physical side to his game. His skating has drastically improved in the last couple years as well.

Seems like you guys are a good fit for him.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->