Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire defenseman John Marino

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Nothing wrong with a deal like this, just having fun with predicting the typical HF overvalue of an unknown/newly acquired player under the age of 25. Someone will be pairing him with Addison or POJ in 2021s top 4 by end of summer* :laugh:

*probably not really, it's just a joke

Or Schultz?

Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Marino
Almari/Joseph Gudbranson
Johnson Ruhwedel

So not paired with Addison/POJ but there he is in the top 4 already. I was wrong, someone went and did it. :laugh:

Is that a few years down the road or are you going all in with him next year?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Surprising but I guess it makes sense since they don't want him to go to Free Agency next summer.

WBS defense is going to be loaded and there is still Riikola who they might try and send down.

Warsofsky - Trotman
Czuczman - Marino
Almari - POJ

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
More depth is always a good thing. The variable to consider here (that we can't conclusively know) is the QUALITY of the depth. But it does appear as though we're trending in a positive direction.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
"Adding a young defenseman like John to our organization will be very helpful," said Rutherford. "His development was accelerated last year and he became a top-10 defenseman in college hockey, giving himself a chance to play at the NHL level."
This is an interesting statement. Anyone know how his development was accelerated? Graduations/injuries force him to the top pair or something?

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
No Dan Marino reference yet. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

There's another Marino associated with the Pens that committed the ultimate sin - refusing to pay our lord and savior #66 his salary. **** that guy. That deferred salary became equity and gave us the Lemieux Group ownership. So uh, it kind of worked out. But seriously, **** that guy.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'll drop my search on Marino tonight in here as well.
Some good stuff reading back in this thread too:

I'm trying to dig a little deeper on Marino.
Seems he was the underrated RD on Harvard's team that iced Adam Fox and Reilly Walsh.

I sorta figured once i looked at their roster with what i've seen in the rookie tourney, etc. that this guy must've been behind bigger named guys there and helped doing the dirty work needed.

Scored a beauty of a goal here:

Watch the 10 and 2 skating here:

More in the next post(3 twitter post maximum/post)

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Another goal of his:

Also several tweets of him hitting iron(the posts). Heh.
Not surprising as we've seen he likes to shoot the puck.

MORE...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Seems this driving the net thing he likes to do even shorthanded...

Also seeing in these tweets he played exclusively RD. When he played with another righty(Welsh), Welsh played the off side.

Cool story about him and his twin brother, Paul.

Better Together Than Apart | Sports | The Harvard Crimson

Looks like he's pretty used to that move he pulled off tonight:

And yea the dude plays with an edge. Roughing calls in these tweets and hits with head contact.

How bout a save...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
How bout a hip check...

5on3 PP goal:

His first NCAA goal was shorthanded...

I'll finish it off with Dobber's who with the writeups you can tell just how underrated he has been.

John Marino

I think the talent was sorta sapped away while he was there Donato going pro, etc. and he played behind more offensive guys or rather they were given more offensive looks.
I just wanted to have a look around at just exactly what he was and did at Harvard.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
"Adding a young defenseman like John to our organization will be very helpful," said Rutherford. "His development was accelerated last year and he became a top-10 defenseman in college hockey, giving himself a chance to play at the NHL level."

This is an interesting statement. Anyone know how his development was accelerated? Graduations/injuries force him to the top pair or something?
So after seeing him, maybe JR wasn't just blowing smoke.

Also, self-quote! :p:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Riikola 2.0. Don’t be tempted.

Drop him to the A. Give him steady minutes. Build him as a prospect in the Pens system. It’ll do wonders. POJ should be the first call up.

Definitely agree they should start him in the AHL, don't agree that POJ should be the first call up. First call up should be whoever is playing best at the time unless it is a "just in case someone can't go" call up which is when you call up one of the vets for hopefully just pressbox nacho duty.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
POJ needs time as much as Marino and in any case, whichever of them would be the first call up would be determined by which side of the D the issue's on (currently LD, but RD gets injured far more often). In any case, Warsofsky/Churchman/Trotman can handle call ups until such time as the kids are 100% ready.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Friedman's 31 thoughts, a small Penguins note:

John Marino is making a run at the Pittsburgh defence, and, even if he starts the season at AHL Wilkes-Barre, he’s going to play in the big league. The Oilers really liked Marino, who they took 154th in 2015. Playing at Harvard behind offensive wizard Adam Fox and Devils draftee Reilly Walsh — the team’s two leading scorers — Edmonton thought it had a diamond-in-the-rough. Marino, from North Easton, MA., had a connection with former Oiler GM Peter Chiarelli (may have played with Chiarelli’s son) and things changed after he was fired. It wasn’t exactly a secret, either, and the Oilers made the best deal they could with the defender one year from becoming an unrestricted free agent. Penguins look like they will benefit big.

31 Thoughts: How Brayden Point's contract impacts the RFA market - Sportsnet.ca

You can thank the Oilers firing Chiarelli for why the Penguins were able to get Marino. It seems like it's beyond Pittsburgh now that thinks Marino is going to be a special player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->