Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire defenseman John Marino

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens must love Dumoulin as they are stockpiling his archetypes. Pettersson, Almari, Joseph, this guy.

Joseph? Isn't he more of an offensive defenseman who still needs some work defensively? At least that's the impression I got about him in his draft year. Haven't really followed his progress since then.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Joseph? Isn't he more of an offensive defenseman who still needs some work defensively? At least that's the impression I got about him in his draft year. Haven't really followed his progress since then.

Everything ive read seems to indicate the exact opposite. Super smart but doesnt have alot of talent. Hes supposed to be a steady guy that wont put up alot of points.

Reactions: Riptide

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Or Schultz?

Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Marino
Almari/Joseph Gudbranson
Johnson Ruhwedel

I meant after Gudbranson’s contract was done. Hopefully it’d look like:

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-UFA (maybe Schultz)
Riikola/Joseph-Marino/Ruhwedel

I’ve also learned my lesson of writing prospects into lineups at too high a position (2nd pairing).

Reactions: NEPA and Guentz

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've tried to edit my latest post at least 5 times and every time an ad has interrupted.

Like I was trying to say, the prospects need to play a number of NHL games for me to be comfortable penciling them into the lineup at a significant position.

And I'm not sold on Almari.

Reactions: Riptide

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'd guess Marino just didn't want to sign in Edmonton because of how much of a tire fire they are right now, so the Penguins got him for pretty cheap. I don't think he's this outstanding prospect or anything like that, but I'm really interested to see what he does next year. He was stuck behind Adam Fox with Harvard for the last couple of years, I think he may get a big production jump by getting out of Fox's shadow.

Don't see a big production jump on the cards even with Adam Fox leaving. Reilly Walsh (Devils 3rd rounder 2017) and Jack Rathbone (Canucks 4th Rounder 2017) are both returning and scored 31 and 22 points respectively. Also Havard are bringing in Henry Thrun who scored 23 in 28 for the USNTDP (Ducks 4th rounder 2019). If he could hit 15 points while being a top pairing guy then that would be a good year I think.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Or Schultz?

Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Marino
Almari/Joseph Gudbranson
Johnson Ruhwedel

I don't see the sort of puck movers there needed to replace Schultz. I'd be pretty dubious about more than one of those prospects being ready by next season anyway.

If we did use Marino to replace Schultz, we'd need to pick up a serious duty PMD LD and 13 sorcerers to ensure Letang never, ever, ever got injured.

Reactions: Riptide and Guentz

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What pairing was he on? He, Fox and the other guy are all righties. Was someone on their off side or was Marino on the 3rd?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't see the sort of puck movers there needed to replace Schultz. I'd be pretty dubious about more than one of those prospects being ready by next season anyway.

If we did use Marino to replace Schultz, we'd need to pick up a serious duty PMD LD and 13 sorcerers to ensure Letang never, ever, ever got injured.

Yep. Even if all those prospects (with the exception of Addison) turn into our best expectations of them (aka basically Dumoulin or MP)... none of them will be able to replace Schultz in terms of how they play the game. We either need Addison to hit or we will desperately need to find someone else who can fill that role.

And the likelyhood of Marino doing anything in the next season or so is probably pretty slim.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Canadian media is hilarious...

"Marginal prospect..."

Meanwhile, The Hockey News seems to think otherwise.

bIlz6Dr.png

To me, Marino seems like more of a Dumoulin/Pettersson type of defender. He's not the kind of guy that will be a 40pt guy, but maybe more so a 25-30pt guy that is a solid reliable partner. He was paired with a better OFD and seemed to do well in the role of a support partner with an offensive defenseman on his left side.

Reactions: domaug

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Marino is more of the guy you pair the PMD with, not the PMD.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I think this is a very underrated aspect to GMJR for all of the win now draft pick trades he has been able to patch the system with close to ready prospects on cheap deals.

Whether is UDFAs like Johnson and ZAR etc

Europe FAs Riikola, took worthwhile shots on Plotnikov and Bentgsson (sp) despite the results

This offseason alone he has added two guys with legit NHL chances in Marino and PO Joseph one as an add on for value in a trade we all knew he had to make and one for a comditional 6th

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Canadian media is hilarious...

"Marginal prospect..."

Meanwhile, The Hockey News seems to think otherwise.

bIlz6Dr.png

I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about Marino other than his stats and particulars, but taken in isolation they sound like the definition of a marginal prospect. Maybe the Pens found a diamond in the rough, but expecting a Dumo/Pettersson type seems like wishful thinking.

The Hockey News article doesn't really make Marino out to be more than a marginal prospect at this point either.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
From what I've read, he seems like he's more in the Lauzon mold. Good skater, strong defensively, plays with an edge, smart, questions about offensive ability.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about Marino other than his stats and particulars, but taken in isolation they sound like the definition of a marginal prospect. Maybe the Pens found a diamond in the rough, but expecting a Dumo/Pettersson type seems like wishful thinking.

The Hockey News article doesn't really make Marino out to be more than a marginal prospect at this point either.

Marginal as in won't amount to much as a player if he gets there, or marginal as in unlikely to get there at all? Because while he doesn't sound high end, I'd say the general buzz - including THN article - makes it sound like he's got a decent chance of being the sort of lower end reliable guy whose limitations means he's ideally not deployed above 3rd pairing but will do you proud there.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Marginal as in won't amount to much as a player if he gets there, or marginal as in unlikely to get there at all? Because while he doesn't sound high end, I'd say the general buzz - including THN article - makes it sound like he's got a decent chance of being the sort of lower end reliable guy whose limitations means he's ideally not deployed above 3rd pairing but will do you proud there.

I'd say a prospect that likely tops out as a 3rd pairing defender if things go well and hasn't played a lick of pro hockey yet qualifies as marginal.

Not taking anything away from the kid.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Probably a good chance to play in the NHL some day, but stick? Guys like him (and the Straits, Welchs, Lannons, Samuelssons) are abundant with a small number of openings for them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd say a prospect that likely tops out as a 3rd pairing defender if things go well and hasn't played a lick of pro hockey yet qualifies as marginal.

Not taking anything away from the kid.

Fair enough - just checking what you meant as everyone has their own definitions here.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad