Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire defenseman John Marino

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
JR calls Holland to dump a defenseman, and he ends up acquiring one. Like an old man at a flea market, he just couldn't resist.

Seriously though, this is exactly the type of deal I've been hoping JR would look for to add more partially developed D to the system.

ETA: a right shot too

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Wonder if we have had any prior indication from either the player or his agent that he would be open to signing here?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Wonder if we have had any prior indication from either the player or his agent that he would be open to signing here?

Well I think that's part of it too. If you are a young defenseman you have to see the cluster that is the Pens and think: hey in a couple of years I could be on their NHL roster

The opposite was true a number of years ago if you were a young Center coming up. You probably wouldn't choose Pittsburgh because the ice time and depth in front of you would steer you in another direction entirely.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd guess Marino just didn't want to sign in Edmonton because of how much of a tire fire they are right now, so the Penguins got him for pretty cheap. I don't think he's this outstanding prospect or anything like that, but I'm really interested to see what he does next year. He was stuck behind Adam Fox with Harvard for the last couple of years, I think he may get a big production jump by getting out of Fox's shadow.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This comment made me excited for him:

Marino was plucked by the Oilers 154th over-all in the 2015 draft. He is a big enough kid. Listed at 6’2, 181, sources in Boston tell me that he is now 207. If accurate, that’s a significant development. t would mean that Marino has both the size and strength to become a force in his own end. The 21-year old has a bit of a mean streak to boot.

The difference between he and other prospects of his ilk?

Marino skates quite well for that player type. He is decent with the puck in the attacking zone and has a crisp first pass out of his own end. He does not project as power play quarterback by any stretch. But Marino does possess the raw tools to both be a stay-at-home defender in today’s NHL yet still have enough offence to be able to contribute in the other direction. Plus he’s a right shot.

But while Marino possesses a decent looking skill-set, there is a real reason why some of these kids are picked where they are. Usually, it is because they don’t possess that one specific thing that they do especially well. In order to make up for that, the player really has to be able to deliver a more-than-consistent over-all performance. And as anyone will tell you that is a tough thing to do.

This scouting report kinda reminds me of Simon Despres. Jack of all trades defenseman mostly known for his mean streak, but doesn't have any clear weaknesses in his game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Now that I think of it we must have some better-than-1-in-30 chance of signing him since it doesn’t benefit Edmonton to trade him to a team he’ll walk away from, since they won’t get the pick. Guessing his agent (or whatever college players have) told Edmonton he was planning to wait and hit UFA status, and they asked where he was looking to sign and his agent/handler either mentioned Pittsburgh specifically or said he’d like to stay in the north east or something.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Probs not. I can get thinking "I don't wanna be West Coast Canada, I'll get an offer elsewhere", but if he wants to get too precious, that'll get in his way.

But who cares - if that happens, we don't pay anything. Hell, this is arguably the best risk to reward trade Rutherford's swung here :nod:

Edmonton's kind of bunk on and off the ice though.

Vancouver's in Western Canada but if I were a prospect I'd be much more inclined to go there. It's beautiful.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Edmonton's kind of a tire fire on and off the ice too.

Vancouver's in Western Canada but if I were a prospect I'd be much more inclined to go there. It's beautiful.

Yeah, can't help either. Just very little appealing about all of Edmonton's scenario other than McDavid.

Something I hadn't realised until reading up is that one area where Edmonton isn't a tire fire is in RHD prospects. He was only their 4th best and maybe that factored in too. I can see a prospect wanting to avoid competing with Bouchard, Bear, Persson etc.etc.

Incidentally, he was 18th on their Athletic guy's prospect rankings and this is Marino's write up:

"Some of the hardest prospects to track are college hockey players who don’t deliver a lot of offence. John Marino is valued as a prospect, and there was some buzz about him possibly coming out after his junior season in 2018-19. He’s returning to Harvard and will be one of three captains on the 2019-20 team. Marino’s decision to sign (or not) with the Oilers remains an unanswered question, but the scouts I’ve spoken to suggest he’s a true NHL prospect who will play pro.
Marino’s appeal is as a defender, with skating being his strength. Although a lack of power-play time has obscured his actual offensive ability, he’ll make his money in pro hockey defending against oncoming opponents."

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
This comment made me excited for him:

This scouting report kinda reminds me of Simon Despres. Jack of all trades defenseman mostly known for his mean streak, but doesn't have any clear weaknesses in his game.
But does he have a gambling problem???

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton's kind of bunk on and off the ice though.

City is immaculate and beautiful scenery. Traveled around there when visiting my brother in Oregon a few years ago.

Spent a week with him around Portland when he was finishing his phd. Then went up to Canada and was like, yeah why'd we spend a week in Portland?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-26_18-26-34.gif
    upload_2019-7-26_18-26-34.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad