Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire defenseman John Marino

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
one of the worst defensive teams in the league gave him up for a condition 6th in 2 years, so consider that before HFing him right into your mock lineups

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Guess he was a guarantee to not sign in Edmonton... of course he might not wanna sign here either but then we’re right back to where we started. I wonder if we have some insider knowledge that he’d be willing to sign with us or if it’s just a shot in the dark.

I see he’s pegged to be Harvard’s captain.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Seems ok. Is he much of an upgrade on Ryan Jones and Will Reilly?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Guess he was a guarantee to not sign in Edmonton... of course he might not wanna sign here either but then we’re right back to where we started. I wonder if we have some insider knowledge that he’d be willing to sign with us or if it’s just a shot in the dark.

I see he’s pegged to be Harvard’s captain.
Probably just didn't want to sign there and JR taking a shot in the dark to try and put a prospect in the barren farm team. f*** it, I will take moves like this all the time. A 6th rounder means next to nothing. Even if he won't sign with us ether the likelihood of that pick taking anything we would miss in the draft is extremely minimal.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Seems ok. Is he much of an upgrade on Ryan Jones and Will Reilly?

Maybe a little better than Reilly? Kinda hard to tell. Either having both Walsh and Fox kept his numbers down bc he was behind them or playing with Walsh inflated them.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Probably just didn't want to sign there and JR taking a shot in the dark to try and put a prospect in the barren farm team. **** it, I will take moves like this all the time. A 6th rounder means next to nothing. Even if he won't sign with us ether the likelihood of that pick taking anything we would miss in the draft is extremely minimal.
Probably. He’s spent his entire career in Boston except for one season in Tri-City, I bet he’s got his sights set on the Bruins org. Maybe Guerin & Artie can gaslight him into signing here.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Probably. He’s spent his entire career in Boston except for one season in Tri-City, I bet he’s got his sights set on the Bruins org. Maybe Guerin & Artie can gaslight him into signing here.

We have a lot more opportunity for him to play soon than the B’s, with Guds overpaid and signed only one more year, Schultz a UFA, Addison a ways off and who knows with Letang’s injury history...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Drafted in 2015 NHL Draft: 6th Round, 154th Overall Pick by Edmonton
51.gif
DraftSite Scouting ReportUSA defender with good size who displays decent puck skills and toughness. Plays a solid defensive game with good awareness,footwork, good outlet passing and safe plays all around . A work in progress who needs to use his size to clear the front and bang along the wall. Committed to Yale University NCAA.

—Bill Placzek—
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: td_ice

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm kind of disappointed the headline for this thread wasn't something along the lines of: "The Pens made a trade involving a defenseman! ... Johnson wasn't involved." :D

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I remember similar posts made when we acquired Schultz....

Do you consider them to be of similar pedigree? Do you find this situation comparable?

You're right, the Oilers don't easily lose talented players.

Were any of them lost in deals as low end prospects for low draft picks?

Nothing wrong with a deal like this, just having fun with predicting the typical HF overvalue of an unknown/newly acquired player under the age of 25. Someone will be pairing him with Addison or POJ in 2021s top 4 by end of summer* :laugh:

*probably not really, it's just a joke

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Decent prospect who wasn't going sign with the Oilers due to be their #7 best d-man prospect.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I don't think a sixth rounder can afford to be too picky about what NHL club is going to sign them, though.

Reactions: td_ice

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think a sixth rounder can afford to be too picky about what NHL club is going to sign them, though.

Probs not. I can get thinking "I don't wanna be West Coast Canada, I'll get an offer elsewhere", but if he wants to get too precious, that'll get in his way.

But who cares - if that happens, we don't pay anything. Hell, this is arguably the best risk to reward trade Rutherford's swung here :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->