Post-Game Talk: Penguins 8, Flyers 5 - Jake says . . . IT'S OVAAAH! (Guentzel mic'd up post #663)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
If it came down to it, does our HF Consensus lean towards DeSmith or Jarry?

Right now, I vote DeSmith. Definitely Jarry in the long run. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed with him (Jarry) this year. Definitely had some good games, just expected a little more.

Just wanted to say:

- Sullivan. Sullivan. Sullivan. His interview with Pierre McGuire in the 2nd period is the microcosm difference of 2012 and 2018. Pierre tried playing up the narrative that the Penguins needed to be more physical to get back into the game, and Sullivan shot that down real quick. Lo and behold. Sullivan was a magician in this game in particular. He kept getting the Crosby line out there against tired legs in the 2nd/3rd periods. I'm not an x's and o's guy, but just his philosophy and demeanor have resonated with the team. The Flyers stopped being physical once that third goal was plotted. They panicked. They chased us from then on. That's the retaliation I wanted.

- Piggy-backing on that idea: Thank you Giroux. Your hit on Hagelins fired up the Penguins' bench. Up until that point, the Penguins looked flat sans a 3-minute stretch in the first, and just didn't look like their night. It was definitely a legal hit. But I think a hit can be clean AND dumb at the same time. Was literally unnecessary to line him up. Hopefully Hags is okay, but that was the spark that started it all. Kessel took a very dumb penalty in the process, but it's just one of those entities that hindsight ends up setting the narrative. Whatever. Coincidence or not, it was his best game of the series.

- Sheahan and Sheary. WONDERFUL series by both guys. Sheary's box score won't look pretty but he was noticeable all series long. He and Brassard have seemed to create some chemistry in-tight and around the crease, it'll pay dividends at some point. Overall, I just loved Sheary's compete level and he looked dangerous every game essentially. And well, Sheahan was Mr. Everything - especially in G6. But even in G5, he generated the momentum that led to our momentum surge in the 2nd period. His knack of getting the best out of Kessel ought to be weighed heavily next series. HAS to be. Dumoulin is finally getting his due, EVEN after being the best Pens defenseman all spring last season (and the 2nd best in 2016). So I thought I'd give a shoutout to these two guys as well.

- And just because I'm on the topic: Dumoulin ++++++. His one-on-one work was just on insanity tier levels this series. He's always been an artist of gap control, that G4 was just his latest master-piece. It reminded me of him swallowing Ovechkin time and time again last year on 1v1 battles. He might be assigned the same task here soon enough.

- Oh, I guess that Jake guy did something incredible today, too. I just wanted to point out how his pressure on the puck started the whole sequence on the 5th goal. All facets of his game are just A1 right now. Two-way play. Physicality. Hockey sense. Finishing. Offensive instincts. All of it.

- I'm being way too complimentary. Oh well. Just enjoying the ride. The up's and down's of the playoffs will test the insanity of all us maniacs who post on a hockey message board (even those who do so in rare fashion like me), but I'm just going to just keep telling myself to enjoy it all. Today was an eye opener that we may never have this much talent on one team ever again, and I'm talking well beyond 87/71. Next round is just another opportunity to be in awe of the fortunate circumstance of being a Pittsburgh Penguins fan.

Great post. Fantastic points on Sullivan, Sheahan and Dumolin. Love how Sullivan runs this team. Sheahan and Dumo both had outstanding series'.

+Undefeated in Road Games. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but it was a major concern during the regular season. The Pens were among the best teams in the league at home and tended to be less than stellar on the road. We had one good home game in this series but otherwise we won this series by taking 3 games on the road.

Never predicted that. It's great to see. Kind of crazy considering how butt this team was on the road this year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This sounds like someone who hasn't ever played sports before. This is downright tame compared to some things I've heard. It's part of the game. Find some clips of Steve Ott or Lapierre....you'll be amazed at what some guys say :laugh:
Oh I know what they say, you're wrong, I know all too well. But it doesn't make it right. That's the point that you're not getting. I've heard some things Kevin Stevens said back in the day. In this PC environment he probably couldn't say such things now. I know how prevalent it is. I just don't care for it.

Reactions: Beauner

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
This sounds like someone who hasn't ever played sports before. This is downright tame compared to some things I've heard. It's part of the game. Find some clips of Steve Ott or Lapierre....you'll be amazed at what some guys say :laugh:

Or the Trottier/Stevens classic taunt of Brian Bellows in the ‘91 SCF.

Reactions: ncm7772

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Oh I know what they say, you're wrong, I know all too well. But it doesn't make it right. That's the point that you're not getting. I've heard some things Kevin Stevens said back in the day. In this PC environment he probably couldn't say such things now. I know how prevalent is it. I just don't care for it.
No one is forcing you to watch those videos.

Reactions: BillPrep

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think Jake who sounds like a 10 yr old taunting someone isn't exactly gonna intimidate anyone. lol

I just think it's stupid.

And that's fine but acting like you're disappointed or upset about it is pretty ridiculous. It's part of the game and that was very light hearted. I'm sure Giroux was giving him shit every other game and Jake got the last laugh.

Reactions: BillPrep

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No one is forcing you to watch those videos.
I was listening to a radio show, didn't realize it was coming on, then saw it here. I was appalled and dismayed and nearly cried for ten minutes after throwing a huge tantrum. I'm now calming down. My happiness is now compromised for the remainder of the week. I may have to move to Philly.

Reactions: ncm7772

exHornet

May 14, 2014
I have a lot of good things going on in my life actually. Not that it's any of your business. I just think I have higher standards than most. That's probably the underlying difference.

I mean, seriously. We have organizations that seem to wholly support putting Crosby's pictures in their urinals. We have arenas full of fans heaving full beer cans down onto the ice from a full story up. We have teams that try to win series by nearly decapitating the best player on the other team.

And you're getting hoity-toity about chirping? Really?

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And that's fine but acting like you're disappointed or upset about it is pretty ridiculous. It's part of the game and that was very light hearted. I'm sure Giroux was giving him **** every other game and Jake got the last laugh.
I will try to be a brave solider and pull myself together. I mean, it's gonna be touch and go for a while, but hopefully I'll pull through. I know you all are rooting for me and that's a huge crutch for me to hold onto.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I mean, seriously. We have organizations that seem to wholly support putting Crosby's pictures in their urinals. We have arenas full of fans heaving full beer cans down onto the ice from a full story up. We have teams that try to win series by nearly decapitating the best player on the other team.

And you're getting hoity-toity about chirping? Really?
I don't think they should have put Sid's face in the urinals that really pisses me off!

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Need to keep getting production from Hagelin, that we didnt have last year due to his injury. 2 assists in 15 games. Already has 1g 2a in 6 games. But now with that hit..could affect his game. He needs to be healthy..

Hornqvist also looking better..3 points away from matching his total last year(5g 4a) with 2g 4a so far.

Dumo already matched his total from last year with 1g 5a. Now Schultz needs to step up. Had 4 g 9a last year..5th on the team im scoring.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Need to keep getting production from Hagelin, that we didnt have last year due to his injury. 2 assists in 15 games. Already has 1g 2a in 6 games. But now with that hit..could affect his game. He needs to be healthy..

Hornqvist also looking better..3 points away from matching his total last year(5g 4a) with 2g 4a so far.

Dumo already matched his total from last year with 1g 5a. Now Schultz needs to step up. Had 4 g 9a last year..5th on the team im scoring.
We need Dumoulin to play at this current level for the rest of the playoffs and we need our bottom pair to hold their own far better than they have thus far. I agree about Shultz he certainly has another level he can ascend to.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I will try to be a brave solider and pull myself together. I mean, it's gonna be touch and go for a while, but hopefully I'll pull through. I know you all are rooting for me and that's a huge crutch for me to hold onto.

You do you man

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We need Dumoulin to play at this current level for the rest of the playoffs and we need our bottom pair to hold their own far better than they have thus far. I agree about Shultz he certainly has another level he can ascend to.

I should probably check advanced stats but I thought Ruh and Big Rig were pretty good in round 1

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I should probably check advanced stats but I thought Ruh and Big Rig were pretty good in round 1
I think they were sheltering Oleksiak quite a bit. I believe he played 10 mins last game, was -3 and was caught out of position quite a bit. He was terrible around our goal and the first goal was indicative of that. In game five his ice time was low also and his play was spotty at best.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Here’s the thing. If Guentzel had crossed a real line I’d be pissed and everyone would get to read why. He told Giroux they woke the team up, he told Giroux he’d scored when something happened before, he said he’d told them not to and he counted some goals. He celebrated. There’s not even any swearing at them. It’s shockingly clean and wholesome stuff even if the Pens probably gave some editing help.

This also has a gif because the Pens apparently decided to bring the entertainment value.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I was gonna have a nice shot of whiskey tonight.

I'd rather have a gallon of bleach.

In a cross state drubbing, with multiple glorious wins, against the shittiest of the shits, the most vocal of posters push me to this. f*** this place once they really, REALLY suck in five years.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Let's just hope Dumo doesn't get too flashy out there. That's all i'm really concerned with.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Probably not a popular opinion but I wouldnt mind giving Hunwick a shot. He has the experience in the playoffs(32 years old..wont see the nerves you see from some) and has alot to prove after signing that contract and not doing well in the regular season.

We also have to remember the whole defense looked bad in the regular season..so who knows..he might be able to come in and play well. Not saying id keep him in...but to give Oleksiak or Ruh a game off here and there..could help

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I guess I don't see how taunting Giroux like that is important. Or should be applauded. Win the game, celebrate the goals, then move on. Act like you've been there before, because well you have. But I don't think he'll be taunting certain other players on other teams and be as effective.

Your lack of self awareness is staggering.

You mentioned "cherry picking" earlier, which is exactly what that 2 minute clip is. You've clearly never played at any level, because that shit goes on all game, every game. You have no clue what Giroux was saying when the game was 4-2, and you have no clue what anyone else said all game either. In other words, Jake wasn't the only one yapping, but since the mic was on him, you get the impression that he was the only one spouting off. You're wrong, just like you are about everything else.

The other thing I find amusing is that you couldn't tell that the banter in the video was actually friendly."

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
My lack of self awareness is staggering.

You mentioned "cherry picking" earlier, which is exactly what that 2 minute clip is. You've clearly never played at any level, because that **** goes on all game, every game. You have no clue what Giroux was saying when the game was 4-2, and you have no clue what anyone else said all game either. In other words, Jake wasn't the only one yapping, but since the mic was on him, you get the impression that he was the only one spouting off. You're wrong, just like you are about everything else.

The other thing I find amusing is that you couldn't tell that the banter in the video was actually friendly."
As I said several times prior, I know it's prevalent and It's not something I like. You're clearly having trouble with context and comprehension. As far as Jakes play, I gave him accolades earlier in this thread as he had a phenomenal game. It's almost as if you're paying attention to every other sentence as opposed to the whole thing. Which means you lose the meaning and instead you spew out nonsense.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Without checking to confirm, I’m pretty sure their advanced stats weren’t great. Game 6 wasn’t good for them but you could probably call it passable overall.

Ruhwedel. He’s been Ruhwedel. Unspectacular but solidly playing within himself. I’d call him the problem child of that pairing in game 6 when it was an uncharacteristic game from him. He’s usually steadier and safer than whatever that was.

Oleksiak. I expected a better series out of him because he’s done well against the Flyers and I expected playoff reffing to suit him, but it’s his first playoff experience, his minutes were dropped and I wouldn’t call the pairing ideal for either of them. I wasn’t pissed but I was kind of underwhelmed. Maybe the lowered minutes created a crisis of confidence or a player struggling with sitting in the bench more. Idk.

Together they’re mostly okay for a bottom pairing they don’t have much of an alternative for as long as they’re kept away from L4. I think they got hemmed in with ZARRK and there was a goal when Crosby was in for Rowney. The coaching staff gets a healthy dose of the blame for that because it was a predictable failure. We know they wanted to add another D and couldn’t so it is what it is. They’re not the best fit and I think they both looked better apart in game 6, but they can’t really jumble the D they have to try to help that pairing.

Keeping King Cole would have been useful for the bottom pairing,

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad