Post-Game Talk: Penguins 7, Rangers 2 - Broken Hank

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I really don't think the Pens are even playing that good right now.

Their just getting great goaltending every game and some puck luck.

Its not going to last forever, but hopefully it lasts a little bit longer.

They're only giving up like 3 breakaways a game, that's a huge improvement.

But really, they are able to get the puck past the redline and into the offensive zone instead of dump and chase being their only hope---which was failing because no one was skating.

They may not be perfect, but compared to November, much much MUCH better.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I thought Kessel and Pearson looked decent. They're masking these lacklustre games from Brassard.

I'm really torn. I don't see anything that Brassard is doing to help enable those players. I feel Pearson is better defensively than many give credit for. I feel Kessel is opportunistic, as he always is. I do not see Brassard making plays/passes/defensive plays/anything to help enable the players doing their job. He plays the softest game i've ever seen. I'm fine with skill, but he stays out of people's way defensively at times. It's strange.

I don't want to crap on the guy. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting. I'm just saying at this point I really don't care if he leaves. I'll just shrug my shoulders and say "yeah... i get it." Brassard @ 3M on paper seems like a dream scenario for the Pens. It hasn't been a dream at all.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm really torn. I don't see anything that Brassard is doing to help enable those players. I feel Pearson is better defensively than many give credit for. I feel Kessel is opportunistic, as he always is. I do not see Brassard making plays/passes/defensive plays/anything to help enable the players doing their job. He plays the softest game i've ever seen. I'm fine with skill, but he stays out of people's way defensively at times. It's strange.

I don't want to crap on the guy. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting. I'm just saying at this point I really don't care if he leaves. I'll just shrug my shoulders and say "yeah... i get it." Brassard @ 3M on paper seems like a dream scenario for the Pens. It hasn't been a dream at all.

I still think there’s a good chance his groin is not 100% ...either that or he’s trying to avoid injury, maybe so as to not affect his FA value but his play here is not typical of him...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
@ColePens

I can live with players having off-games if they come through when it counts (e.g., Bonino). However, Brassard has not done anything since arriving here. He might be the most disappointing player in recent memory.

Reactions: ColePens

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
@ColePens

I can live with players having off-games if they come through when it counts (e.g., Bonino). However, Brassard has not done anything since arriving here. He might be the most disappointing player in recent memory.
Hey he's won a board battle. I saw it with my own two eyes

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

The thing is, no one ever does anything for Kessel. Kessel plays in a bubble. All of Kessel’s Good and all of Kessel’s bad is entirely dependant upon Phil Kessel. You could put him out there with Craig Adams and he’d still produce as he is meant to produce.

Reactions: billybudd

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The thing is, no one ever does anything for Kessel. Kessel plays in a bubble. All of Kessel’s Good and all of Kessel’s bad is entirely dependant upon Phil Kessel. You could put him out there with Craig Adams and he’d still produce as he is meant to produce.

I'll argue this a tad. Bones in 2016 definitely did. He utilized those little area passes to spring Kessel. He also did a great job of playing defense, blocking shots, etc. to also enable Phil to just be random as hell out there and do his thing. Now that badly went to shit in the 16-17 season. But in that span of time, I thought Bones was such a great compliment because he did the things to allow Kessel to be Kessel.

And I do think we have struggled to find that Center after HBK was over with. I think Geno was just so talented that it opened up space, but it never was a great chemistry. But Pearson seems to have a nice little chemistry w/ Phil in terms of being the guy to play defense and backcheck. I feel like those 2 go into cycles well. I just really think Pearson has been better than many give him credit for. I digress.

If Brassard doesn't produce, he offers nothing for the defensive side of things. So it has to work or it flat out won't work. :laugh:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
wait. riikola is BLEEDING goals? hasn’t this team barely been scored on in the last month, period? where is this coming from

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hey brass can Suck all season, so long as he turns it on when it counts haba
I mean, that's what people said about the Steelers, and a 7-3 record turned into missing the playoffs entirely pretty quick.

Can't take too much for granted in these leagues. Need to be consistent.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
wait. riikola is BLEEDING goals? hasn’t this team barely been scored on in the last month, period? where is this coming from

In the past 7 games, Johnson/Petterson/Letang/Dumoulin have all been on ice for less than 1 5v5 goal per 60, while Riikola's been on for 3.01. Close to every goal we've conceded in this run has been on Riikola-Maatta's watch (Maatta's on 2.74 ga/60).

Probably easier to do counts - 5 for the Finns, 2 for LeDump, 1 for the Sons.

Riikola has 91.7% goaltending as well. Not perfect, but he's not getting scored on because goaltending is collapsed. Although arguably the other two pairings can count themselves a tad fortunate with their 97+ goaltending save percentages.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
has everyone forgot last year that sheahan and kessel looked to be figuring it out before brass was brought in

ditching brass, who has sucked, is a risk but not a huge one

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I really don't think the Pens are even playing that good right now.

Their just getting great goaltending every game and some puck luck.

Its not going to last forever, but hopefully it lasts a little bit longer.
Disagree. This game? Yea. But most games have not been like this game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

He has been on the ice for 5 5v5 goals against in the last 6 games. Considering the team has only given up 7, I'd say that he is bleeding goals against.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
In the past 7 games, Johnson/Petterson/Letang/Dumoulin have all been on ice for less than 1 5v5 goal per 60, while Riikola's been on for 3.01. Close to every goal we've conceded in this run has been on Riikola-Maatta's watch (Maatta's on 2.74 ga/60).

Probably easier to do counts - 5 for the Finns, 2 for LeDump, 1 for the Sons.

Riikola has 91.7% goaltending as well. Not perfect, but he's not getting scored on because goaltending is collapsed. Although arguably the other two pairings can count themselves a tad fortunate with their 97+ goaltending save percentages.
i guess i just don’t care. he looks good to me. he was a -1 twice in the month of december, none so far this year including last night. maatta on the other hand has had multiple big time minus nights since december started

hilariously johnson has also had more nights as a minus since december than riikola despite apparently never getting scored on

Last edited:

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
The only redeeming quality of Brassard at center is that the Pearson-Brassard-Kessel line looks really good so far. But if you need Pearson and Kessel with Brassard for Brassard to be on an effective line, what is he providing that Sheahan didn't provide last year?

You think so? I honestly think they looked really pedestrian together. And not trying to be rude, just voicing my opinion.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Riikola's been about as good as could have reasonably been hoped when we heard about the signing.

Certainly better than Oleksiak and the tools to continue to improve. When the D is carrying the puck effectively, the team looks a lot better.

Yeah I don't think anyone should be upset with how Riikola has played, he has shown a lot of tools that should excite people and I think he has real potential to be a long term 2nd pair OFD. The problem is some people are unwilling to criticize him, as if he's playing great every game. He got burnt defensively multiple times last night and was on the ice for 2 goals against, yet people respond to any criticism of him with "stop stat watching" or "you need to get your eyes checked".

You think so? I honestly think they looked really pedestrian together. And not trying to be rude, just voicing my opinion.

I think it was more so the Pearson-Kessel duo generating some offense, I noticed those two started showing some real chemistry over their last few games. They have seemingly been generating a lot of chances the last couple of nights. Brassard isn't doing much to help there, so maybe he's just there when those two are doing well.

i guess i just don’t care. he looks good to me. he was a -1 twice in the month of december, none so far this year including last night. maatta on the other hand has had multiple big time minus nights since december started

hilariously johnson has also had more nights as a minus since december than riikola despite apparently never getting scored on

Johnson has been on the ice for fewer goals against in his last 15 games than Riikola has been on the ice for his last 7 games.

Reactions: ncm7772

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I still think there’s a good chance his groin is not 100% ...either that or he’s trying to avoid injury, maybe so as to not affect his FA value but his play here is not typical of him...

Starting to agree. He looks slow, he's not aggressive, he's easy to knock off the puck, weak in the corners, soft in the physical aspect. Certainly doesn't look like he did when he first got to Pittsburgh last year.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad