#2 Calen Addison (50%) (+2)
#3 POJ (44%) (New)
#4 Filip Hallander (60.4%) (+1)
#5 Kasper Bjorkqvist (43.2%) (+3)
#6 Nathan Legare (53.2%) (New)

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Well yeah, because most will vote for either Almeida or Bellerive. Miletic does deserve that spot though.

If Miletic can break out and pass these other guys(already having a year of experience) then even better. I just dont want us to waste call ups on players like Blandisi/etc if there are others more deserving based on experience alone. We know his upside...if someone like Bellerive/Bkorkvist is doing great then let it be him for example.

Talking about if we have injuries, or if others aren't doing well. We are deep enough where that shouldnt be a problem

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Miletic should've already been ranked, but voting for him would be a waste of a vote. So I'll go with Almeida instead.

I know that feeling - I kinda wish I hadn't been voting for Almeida throughout as it'd have been more fun switching votes :laugh:

30th ranked prospect group.

In a few years when some of these pan out(to the level of Guentzel and a few a little lower), we will hear " how does Pittsburgh keep finding these guys?"

I'm kinda curious to see where we end up in other rankings. Pronman had us 23rd last year and the only change there was deleting Sprong and ZAR, and adding Poulin, POJ (who he liked last year), Legare, Lucchini + other picks so arguably we should be better - although so is everyone else, and Sprong was Pronman's favourite prospect in our pool.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Miletic can break out and pass these other guys(already having a year of experience) then even better. I just dont want us to waste call ups on players like Blandisi/etc if there are others more deserving based on experience alone. We know his upside...if someone like Bellerive/Bkorkvist is doing great then let it be him for example.

Talking about if we have injuries, or if others aren't doing well. We are deep enough where that shouldnt be a problem

If two players are about even, or close, the tiebreaker pretty much always goes to the vet.

Like it or not, coaches prefer players who are familiar with the system and can execute it from muscle memory. They're risk averse by nature and talent/upside takes a backseat unless it represents a significant upgrade.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I know that feeling - I kinda wish I hadn't been voting for Almeida throughout as it'd have been more fun switching votes :laugh:

I'm kinda curious to see where we end up in other rankings. Pronman had us 23rd last year and the only change there was deleting Sprong and ZAR, and adding Poulin, POJ (who he liked last year), Legare, Lucchini + other picks so arguably we should be better - although so is everyone else, and Sprong was Pronman's favourite prospect in our pool.

He really liked Sprong though (as everyone should!) so I imagine we slip some.

Sprong's numbers in the AHL at his age were noteworthy and we don't have that combo of kind of high-end talent/proven pro production in the pool right now.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
30th ranked prospect group.

In a few years when some of these pan out(to the level of Guentzel and a few a little lower), we will hear " how does Pittsburgh keep finding these guys?"

Don’t think we’re 30th bad. A lot of those lists value having a top blue chipper over depth so while it makes sense... if you look at our depth I feel like our forward pool is pretty competitive with the rest of the league. (D is a different story)

But for our needs (having our stars in place and needing depth/support/compliments) I like our group well enough.

Then again, might just seem that way b/c I know our guys better than I do for other teams.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Feel like we’ll drop in his eyes because he values the top prospects more than anything, and he had Sprong rated as a high-end prospect last year (think like top 30).

But personally think this is a much healthier system than last year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He really liked Sprong though (as everyone should!) so I imagine we slip some.

Sprong's numbers in the AHL at his age were noteworthy and we don't have that combo of kind of high-end talent/proven pro production in the pool right now.

Feel like we’ll drop in his eyes because he values the top prospects more than anything, and he had Sprong rated as a high-end prospect last year (think like top 30).

But personally think this is a much healthier system than last year.

You guys raise good points but I'd point out that much as Pronman liked Sprong/top end guys - there were a decent amount of guys he liked as much and there were some teams he really liked the high end of that were behind deeper teams on his list.

I'm guessing we'll rise and fall depending on other teams more than ourselves. Anaheim were below us last year, but adding 3 top 40 picks and Guhle should see them rise above us. On the flip side, we might rise above Toronto, who promoted Johansson, lost Durzi and Grundstrom and didn't pick until 53rd OA.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
You guys raise good points but I'd point out that much as Pronman liked Sprong/top end guys - there were a decent amount of guys he liked as much and there were some teams he really liked the high end of that were behind deeper teams on his list.

I'm guessing we'll rise and fall depending on other teams more than ourselves. Anaheim were below us last year, but adding 3 top 40 picks and Guhle should see them rise above us. On the flip side, we might rise above Toronto, who promoted Johansson, lost Durzi and Grundstrom and didn't pick until 53rd OA.

Def true about Toronto but Sandin had a sick year in the AHL as a teenage D and IIRC Pronman loves 53 OA N. Robertson (as do I tbf) so much I think he had him in the top 15 at times this year.

Then again Almeida more than proved he’s legit and Hallander should have raised his stock. We’ll see.

Fun to talk about in the dead part of the offseason tho.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Def true about Toronto but Sandin had a sick year in the AHL as a teenage D and IIRC Pronman loves 53 OA N. Robertson (as do I tbf) so much I think he had him in the top 15 at times this year.

Then again Almeida more than proved he’s legit and Hallander should have raised his stock. We’ll see.

Fun to talk about in the dead part of the offseason tho.

He wasn't hot on Almeida's skating. If he's still not, I doubt he rates him that high.

Good point on Sandin - which kinda ties in with what Soggy said about Sprong - high end ready soon is the winner here. We have high end, we have ready soon, but we don't have the combo.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I've been right there with you. But I definitely believe Almeida is our best prospect, and I have no clue what the true order for prospects 2-7 should be. There's a lot of like about each player. So that has made it easier for me to keep sticking with Almeida.

I'll probably have to vote for Lafferty the next 6 polls after Almeida finally goes.

Reactions: Peat

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I've been right there with you. But I definitely believe Almeida is our best prospect, and I have no clue what the true order for prospects 2-7 should be. There's a lot of like about each player. So that has made it easier for me to keep sticking with Almeida.

I'll probably have to vote for Lafferty the next 6 polls after Almeida finally goes.

Has Almeida's linemate signed anywhere? Tristin Langan is supposedly a hardworking, solid 2-way centre. Not super skilled and probably benefitted from Almeida and being older, but still, free and scored 50 goals and matched Almeida's output?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Has Almeida's linemate signed anywhere? Tristin Langan is supposedly a hardworking, solid 2-way centre. Not super skilled and probably benefitted from Almeida and being older, but still, free and scored 50 goals and matched Almeida's output?
Langan's still unsigned.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I think he belongs on the big squad... Adam Johnson.

Getting the feeling that Clayton Philips is under rated.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Getting the feeling that Clayton Philips is under rated.

I shared this opinion last year, but you cannot deny that after a strong start he had an overall disappointing season and now is transferring to a different team (at best) or lower level of competition. The reason for such a change (different coach) is not that convincing (are other players leaving?!?). Luckily he is a skilled player so hopefully things turn around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->