Post-Game Talk: Penguins 6, Avalanche 3 - Torch in Limbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't know man, his Shots/60 are at the same levels, his SH% is I think 2.9....there is sometimes that too...He also is not used properly to drive the line's pace by carrying the puck behind the defense and putting pressure on the d-man as the first guy to get there

I don’t think that’s a feature as much as a new bug. Rust might not be doing that because he can’t. He has not been the same player since those injuries last year.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don’t think that’s a feature as much as a new bug. Rust might not be doing that because he can’t. He has not been the same player since those injuries last year.
It could be, but I still see speed, I still see getting in position to score, and as for @billybud comparing to TK, neh, I don't see it, still some good chances created mostly by himself, thats why I have a faith that he will turn the corner, what I hate to see is how he is used sometimes: I was screaming for him to play on geno's RW, so they started the game last night: first 5 shifts its either Geno or Pearson playing F1 trying to get to the first defensman and Rust is standing in NZ on the wall....that's setting it up for failure...geno flys by, pearson cannot get to the puck before the puck is already out...in second on several occasions they sent Rust first all of a sudden the ice is tilted...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It could be, but I still see speed, I still see getting in position to score, and as for @billybud comparing to TK, neh, I don't see it, still some good chances created mostly by himself, thats why I have a faith that he will turn the corner, what I hate to see is how he is used sometimes: I was screaming for him to play on geno's RW, so they started the game last night: first 5 shifts its either Geno or Pearson playing F1 trying to get to the first defensman and Rust is standing in NZ on the wall....that's setting it up for failure...geno flys by, pearson cannot get to the puck before the puck is already out...in second on several occasions they sent Rust first all of a sudden the ice is tilted...

Rust’s utility was that he could play anywhere in the lineup. If he is top six or bust now it’s time to move on. He used to look the same no matter where you put him.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Tyler Kennedy - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Kennedy's analytics from roughly the same age paint much the same picture that Rust's do. Corsi/fenwick remained solid, SH% dropped, GF% dropped dramatically. More importantly, he looked visibly worse in the same way that Rust looks.

I know some analytics types like to chalk shooting percentage up to "luck," but that's a gross oversimplification on their part, in my opinion.
This is why advanced stats should be used as a tool and not necessarily the be all. They're useful but they don't tell the whole story and at times can be misleading if taken out of context.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
an interesting tidbit, I gleaned from the AVS post game forum...some of their fans saying that having Girard basically turnaround the season there yes they have a monster line, but their problem was getting hemmed in their own zone, Girard is so good fast skater getting the pack so quickly out of their zone that allow them actually to develop plays.....sounds like something that would help us too, maybe Riikola can develop to give us to legit lines (without Shultz...)
Just to play off of this a little, something I've been noticing that is irritating me a bit is our D getting the puck and constantly backtracking/regrouping. I'm not saying to never do that but I think it is happening too often. It seems like we're giving our opponents time to get setup in the NZ and then we're having even more trouble getting up ice clean. I'd like to see more quick passes, chips, area passes within a few seconds of gaining possession. IMO, even if it just creates a 50/50 puck, it's better than turning it over against a clogged up NZ.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Just to play off of this a little, something I've been noticing that is irritating me a bit is our D getting the puck and constantly backtracking/regrouping. I'm not saying to never do that but I think it is happening too often. It seems like we're giving our opponents time to get setup in the NZ and then we're having even more trouble getting up ice clean. I'd like to see more quick passes, chips, area passes within a few seconds of gaining possession. IMO, even if it just creates a 50/50 puck, it's better than turning it over against a clogged up NZ.
right on, it could be different things, bad changes, lost of confidence, etc...very good point, I remember last year against caps, it was driving me crazy, the Caps never iced or dumped, they always leave one skater forward in the neutral zone to receive the puck, waiting for a change and continue with attack...our guys get to the red line dump it and go for the change, same story this year...the best case scenarion the d-man will start passing to each other, or even worse backing up with the puck allowing the fresh forwards press them on forecheck...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you want to be a contrarian and pretend the lack of skill isn’t an issue, great. This scenario has played out over and over again in the Crosby and Malkin era and rarely ends well..

Honestly, I'm convinced that's exactly what pixie's entire agenda is. If the majority is arguing one thing, he'll argue the other.

If everyone starts praising the depth of the forwards and starts calling for Sullivan to get a 10 year extension, suddenly pixie will be the one saying they're trash and Sullivan sucks.

Reactions: EightyOne

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Old Kunitz went on many epic goalless droughts because he lost his hands. Say whatever you want, but those are straight up facts.

If you want to be a contrarian and pretend the lack of skill isn’t an issue, great. This scenario has played out over and over again in the Crosby and Malkin era and rarely ends well.

JR said this summer he wants to get back to rolling four skilled and capable scoring lines, this is a far cry from that vision.

Post fancy stats to your hearts content, this model isn’t sustainable for success.

The model isnt the issue the performance is IMO. As long as we can get back to owning possession more often we will be better.

Rust will get his shooting percentage turned around.

Pearson will get more than Hags on the 2nd line

Im thinking Simon will stick on L1 so Hornqvist/ Kessel will shift some goals down to the bottom 6.

ZAR for all his deficiencies appears to have the ability to finish (6 goals in 27 career games...18 goal pace)

Grant for all his deficiencies has shown ability to finish (last season)

So as long as as the lines can create possession (4th line did their job last night, 3rd not so much) the bottoms 6s chances of scoring should go up.

Maybe not to where it needs to be, but should be better than we've gotten to this point.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
@KIRK well 2 out of 3 so far ain't bad :laugh:
this one...
giphy.gif

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's somewhat inconsequential, but w/e, thought it was bs that NHLNetwork gave Matthews last night's league-wide 1st star, Sid 2nd. Natural hat trick in 5:35 is gd spectacular, more than 2G1A. Not sure why they continue to sweep Sid under the rug for the latest flavors. The NBA doesn't do this to Lebron, who is 2 years older than Sid.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Honestly, I'm convinced that's exactly what pixie's entire agenda is. If the majority is arguing one thing, he'll argue the other.

If everyone starts praising the depth of the forwards and starts calling for Sullivan to get a 10 year extension, suddenly pixie will be the one saying they're trash and Sullivan sucks.
thats easy to check: start praising letang, if he goes contrarian on you the you're right:laugh:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It's somewhat inconsequential, but w/e, thought it was bs that NHLNetwork gave Matthews last night's league-wide 1st star, Sid 2nd. Natural hat trick in 5:35 is gd spectacular, more than 2G1A. Not sure why they continue to sweep Sid under the rug for the latest flavors. The NBA doesn't do this to Lebron, who is 2 years older than Sid.

Probably because the Leafs won and the Pens lost.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Guessing Matthews having 2 goals and an assist trumps Sid as Matthew's first game after being out for 14 games? Get yr point though

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Meh i dont mind the NHL advertising the up and coming stars.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Probably because the Leafs won and the Pens lost.
Yeah, but that is a logical fallacy.

Meh i dont mind the NHL advertising the up and coming stars.
Ok, but this isn't a new trend, they've done their best to push Sid back to the pack for years. It's the cumulative effect of this that tends to grind on me. It has seemed to have an effect annually come award season and that will affect his legacy.

If I'm on an island here on this, so be it. ;)

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad